Effect Audio cables thread
Jun 23, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #3,661 of 7,904
I also had the pleasure of testing out the new cables yesterday and it was great to finally meet Eric. Coming from the Legend X paired with Leo II, below are my thoughts on the mystery cables after a brief listening session:
The ergonomics and build quality are like nothing I've seen from EA before on a 4-wire. Pretty amazing!

Copper: Very smooth and balanced, low end not as deep as Leo II, treble was a bit thin, clear vocals with a soundstage narrower than Leo II. My guess for price is $299.
Silver: Wide soundstage, lows not quite as deep as Leo II, very transparent and energetic treble, brighter sound but still smooth and vocals seemed more forward vs. Leo II, this was my favorite of the 3. Eric mentioned the wire size is the same as Leo II but the design is much tighter and appears thinner as you can see in the picture. Very light and comfortable. My guess for price is $499.
Copper/Silver Hybrid: Deep low end, lacking a bit in transparency vs. Leo II and the silver, treble not as energetic as the silver, vocals clear but pulled back vs. the silver with a narrower soundstage. My guess for price is $399.

I also very much enjoyed the Horus 8 with my Legend X but it's only available as an upgrade for current Horus owners. I'm still very happy with my Leo II and also Ares II octa! I will have my eye on that mystery silver cable when it's revealed in August though :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #3,662 of 7,904
Due to financial limitations and loving the OCC litz I didn’t have chance to try out the silver litz or other expensive cables. However, I did listen to Janus D (dynamics) and Janus B (basso?) and have more impression to the Janus B which has warm rounded sound and very very musical and does look nice to me too (gotta love 8wired ones). :smile_phones:

Jun 23, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #3,663 of 7,904
Hi there! Between the Cleopatra and the Leonidas II, which would you recommend? I'm looking for mids, detail and clarity

Thanks! :)
hey I will definitely say leo II honestly the Cleopatra for me is more like polishing the bass mid and treble increase slightly detail. generally speaking, it is a very smooth cable that no one gonna hates it. however, you want to increase some mid detail and clarity that I think Leo II is the best for you and I just recently received leo II octa from the upgrade and it is a really nice cable that forwarding the mid and very detailed cable.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #3,664 of 7,904
Just had a pleasure of listening to Horus 8 wire, Janus D and Cleo 8 wire. With CA Andromeda and iPod Touch 7G as my source and IEM, I find that Cleo 8 gives best sound preference for me along with incredible holographic imaging abilities of the 8 wire versions for my Andromeda. Ordered the Cleo 8 right on the spot. Kudos to Eric for making unprecedent levels in cable craft and sound.

The mystery cables are well done. It's slightly narrower than the current lineup of cables but don't let that small cores fool you. They clearly deserve a new line up of cables in the EA lineup.

Here are my impressions of the mystery cable using CA Comet + iPod Touch 6G as my source and IEM

Copper looking cable : Warm sounding with more emphasis on mid-bass than sub-bass. Decent soundstage and imaging. Treble is smooth and extended but isn't that refined sounding compared to the silver+copper hybrid looking mystery wire. Great stock cable that can replace the Ares II. I price it at $199 max.

Silver + Copper hybrid looking cable: more holographic sounding than Copper looking cable. Less midbass than copper, revealing more subbass extension. Treble is slightly more refined sounding than the copper looking cable but not more pronounced or forward than the copper cable. I guess the price to be about $349

Silver looking cable: Forward mids and more refined and extended cable. Bass has a quicker pace and hits harder than both cables and it's also very punchy / dynamic sounding. Soundstage is slightly narrower than the silver + copper hybrid cable, but imaging is much more precise than both cables. This cable sounds closer to Lionheart cable that I have but a bit smoother in highs compared to the edgier Lionheart. Price is about $599 for me.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #3,665 of 7,904
It was great meeting Eric and finally being able to test out a slew of EA's cables. As a preface to my thoughts on the mystery cables, this is my first review of any cable so I may not be very good at explaining what I heard as I am a newer to the hi-fi community. For the three mystery cables I used my Noble K10's with a Lotoo DAP provided by EA at their booth. The three cables are VERY supple and look to have the ultraflexi insulation on them.

The first cable I tried looked to be a 4 wire copper cable, The cable looked similar to the Ares II cable. I found this cable to have a warm sound signature and the lows, mids and highs had a nice blend, no single range trying to overpower the other. I would price this cable in the $150-200 range

The second cable I tried looked to be a 4 wire silver cable. This cable looked similar to the Thor II silver cable. Female vocals were more present with this cable, more detailed. I also enjoyed a deeper bass extension, but that was controlled and sounded more snappy. I would price this cable in the $300-350 range

The third cable I tried looked to be a 4 wire silver and copper hybrid. The cable construction looked similar to the Eros II cable.This cable brought out a nice hitting bass and wonderful vocals. Of the three cables, I would label this cable as the most "fun" sounding. I would price this cable in the $250-300 range.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:24 AM Post #3,666 of 7,904
hey I will definitely say leo II honestly the Cleopatra for me is more like polishing the bass mid and treble increase slightly detail. generally speaking, it is a very smooth cable that no one gonna hates it. however, you want to increase some mid detail and clarity that I think Leo II is the best for you and I just recently received leo II octa from the upgrade and it is a really nice cable that forwarding the mid and very detailed cable.

Hmmm I see, also given they're both in a similar-ish price range I think going for the Leo II might be a better idea. Thanks!

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:17 AM Post #3,667 of 7,904
So now that I've decided on the Leo II, would you say the 8 wire is worth it over the 4 wire? I'd be kind of breaking the bank and I'm not sure if I'm 100% willing to do that... I'd be pairing it with the A18t, what do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help!

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #3,668 of 7,904
So now that I've decided on the Leo II, would you say the 8 wire is worth it over the 4 wire? I'd be kind of breaking the bank and I'm not sure if I'm 100% willing to do that... I'd be pairing it with the A18t, what do you guys think?

Thanks for all the help!

I was in a similar situation, read the Leo II octa review on headfonics i think, and they say its pretty good but not an 800USD upgrade from Leo II.

Do note 8 wire makes it less portable if that's what you had planned for, i went and bought Leo II.

I heard that PW Audio 1950's is a pretty awesome pairing for A18T, falls in the similar price bracket.

Jun 25, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #3,669 of 7,904

So, anyone else has turned up at SoCal this weekend?
Do tell us about your impression of the Mysterious Cables! :ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Liking the looks of the new connector!

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #3,670 of 7,904

Thanks for all the help!

Didn't try the 8 wires with Leo II during my CanJam SoCal trip since I don't recall EA having the 8 wire leo II for demo. I did a good A/Bing between Cleopatra 4 and 8 wire, and 8 expands the soundstage to new heights while making the bass even tighter and more textured. Mids are better layered noticeably of 4 wire and treble difference is tough to call between the two cable. Maybe Leo II 8-wire would behave similarly to the 4 wire because the main difference that I notice between 4 and 8 wire configuration, whether it's Janus D, Cleo 8 or Horus 8 is the soundstage, imaging and layering improvements. It's like listening to a large venue against a medium sized venue for analogy. Then comes the bass and mids texture and definition.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #3,672 of 7,904
Thanks! My favourite pairing for the Phantom is still Leonidas II (which has a new owner by now), but Cleopatra is definitely worth a try. Both are different enough that one might cater to your preferences better then the other. If you have not tried it yet, Eros II 8-wire is also great with the Phantom.

@Wyville Thanks for your input. I tried several Effect Audio cables this weekend and the Leonidas II was a great pairing with the Phantoms, as well as the Janus D Dynamic. Given that I had other items to purchase, I couldn't get those cables and went with your Eros II suggestion. It sounded great during the demo and am looking forward to getting my own cable in the near future.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #3,673 of 7,904
I had the great pleasure of meeting Eric at Canjam Socal and getting to try out the whole range of cables with multiple IEMs (U18t, Solaris, Katana, Encore and Andromeda). He was incredibly accommodating and it was so great to hear his thoughts on all the best pairings for each IEM (which were pretty much bang on for all). By a huge margin the Effect Audio booth was the highlight of my Canjam experience and I look forward to buying more of his amazing cables when he comes to London (I bought a Lionheart and Janus Basso at Canjam Socal - both AMAZING cables to add to the Leo II 8-wire that I already own).

Talking of which, I got to try out the three new mystery cables. Please excuse my amateur reviews below. I will try and explain in the simplest terms what I heard. I probably won't be using the correct terminology and, of course, everyone hears things differently so these are merely my takes on these great cables.

The 'copper' cable was an absolutely perfect match for the Encores. It softened the occasionally sharp treble that the Encore suffers from whilst maintaining a surprisingly airy transparency and clarity, whilst really satisfyingly bringing out the mid and sub bass so the Encore can shine to the best of its abilities. It's perhaps a little too warm for a hybrid tuned like the Solaris but if EDM is your thing, then you'll love that pairing too. The Katanas get a little bit more bass but are perhaps a bit too veiled on the top end and, as such, the soundstage is a little compressed. Still a very 'smooth' listen if that's your bag, but maybe a little too warm on the high end with the Katanas if it's not. The U18ts get a nice low end extension and the upper trebles surprisingly didn't feel that compromised. I think the best word to describe the mids (and the cable itself) is 'lush'. I really, really love this cable.

The 'silver' cable brings out exceptional clarity and width and is an excellent pairing with the Solaris but perhaps extends the treble too far for the Encores, U18t and Andromedas. I was kicking myself that I didn't bring my Atlases or Vegas because I feel that this cable would be an exceptional pairing with either of them, slightly tightening the bass extension but bringing out the upper mids and treble. It's an exceptional cable for what I suspect the price is but I think it has definitely been designed with a specific kind of IEM pairing in mind. It was a very smooth, pleasant listen on the Katanas, extending the treble a little whilst keeping the mid bass (the core of the Katanas in my opinion) slightly tighter. Without the right pairing (in my opinion and Eric's being the Lionheart, which brings out a fantastic, fast, airier yet snappy sound that I love in them) the Katanas can be fairly dull and neutrally balanced, but this 'silver' cable, whilst never snappy and aggressive, brings out a very mellow pleasing tone in them.

The 'copper/silver' cable has fantastic extension on both ends and was a great all-rounder pairing for pretty much all the IEMs. For the Encore it might be a bit much occasionally on the treble end but for the Katana and Solaris it paired incredibly well. In many ways it felt like a Lionheart jnr. which did make me wonder if there was an element of gold as well as silver plated copper going on with this cable. It's not quite as punchy as the Lionheart with these pairings but still extending the bass and keeping the treble pleasing whilst pushing the mids/Vocals forward slightly. It was also pretty good with the U18ts. I've been spoilt by having listened to the U18ts with my Leonidas II Octa for a while and nothing (except the Janus Basso!) really compares but I'd say that this was a great lower-budget option for the U18ts, bringing out a little of the rich mids of that IEM and extending the bass in a very pleasing way. It's similarly pretty great with the Andromedas, bringing out a slightly richer bass that the Andromeda really needs to bring the most out of them, in my opinion.

At first I thought that the cost would be the 'copper' cable on the lower end, the 'silver' cable in the middle and the 'copper/silver' at the higher end of the range. But after listening to all three a little further, I suspect that it's probably exactly the other way around. So my guess would be something like... 'Copper/Silver' - $199, 'Silver' - $249 and 'Copper' - $299. Honestly, if they all fall in that budget range, then they are all exceptional value and I have already asked Eric to bring along a 'copper' and 'copper/silver' to Canjam London for me to buy if they are ready in time as I particularly love both of those cables. The 'silver' is great too but I already have enough great cables that are already paired with the IEMs I own that it would best suit. The form factor of the connector is really nice too, if that's similar to what ends up on the final cables, of course.

This, I suspect, 'budget' range really steps up the level of what a budget range can be and, if they fall roughly within the costings that I suspect they will be, all three cables will be a huge, and well deserved, hit for Eric and Effect Audio. I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on them.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #3,674 of 7,904
I had the great pleasure of meeting Eric at Canjam Socal and getting to try out the whole range of cables with multiple IEMs (U18t, Solaris, Katana, Encore and Andromeda). He was incredibly accommodating and it was so great to hear his thoughts on all the best pairings for each IEM (which were pretty much bang on for all). By a huge margin the Effect Audio booth was the highlight of my Canjam experience and I look forward to buying more of his amazing cables when he comes to London (I bought a Lionheart and Janus Basso at Canjam Socal - both AMAZING cables to add to the Leo II 8-wire that I already own).

Talking of which, I got to try out the three new mystery cables. Please excuse my amateur reviews below. I will try and explain in the simplest terms what I heard. I probably won't be using the correct terminology and, of course, everyone hears things differently so these are merely my takes on these great cables.

The 'copper' cable was an absolutely perfect match for the Encores. It softened the occasionally sharp treble that the Encore suffers from whilst maintaining a surprisingly airy transparency and clarity, whilst really satisfyingly bringing out the mid and sub bass so the Encore can shine to the best of its abilities. It's perhaps a little too warm for a hybrid tuned like the Solaris but if EDM is your thing, then you'll love that pairing too. The Katanas get a little bit more bass but are perhaps a bit too veiled on the top end and, as such, the soundstage is a little compressed. Still a very 'smooth' listen if that's your bag, but maybe a little too warm on the high end with the Katanas if it's not. The U18ts get a nice low end extension and the upper trebles surprisingly didn't feel that compromised. I think the best word to describe the mids (and the cable itself) is 'lush'. I really, really love this cable.

The 'silver' cable brings out exceptional clarity and width and is an excellent pairing with the Solaris but perhaps extends the treble too far for the Encores, U18t and Andromedas. I was kicking myself that I didn't bring my Atlases or Vegas because I feel that this cable would be an exceptional pairing with either of them, slightly tightening the bass extension but bringing out the upper mids and treble. It's an exceptional cable for what I suspect the price is but I think it has definitely been designed with a specific kind of IEM pairing in mind. It was a very smooth, pleasant listen on the Katanas, extending the treble a little whilst keeping the mid bass (the core of the Katanas in my opinion) slightly tighter. Without the right pairing (in my opinion and Eric's being the Lionheart, which brings out a fantastic, fast, airier yet snappy sound that I love in them) the Katanas can be fairly dull and neutrally balanced, but this 'silver' cable, whilst never snappy and aggressive, brings out a very mellow pleasing tone in them.

The 'copper/silver' cable has fantastic extension on both ends and was a great all-rounder pairing for pretty much all the IEMs. For the Encore it might be a bit much occasionally on the treble end but for the Katana and Solaris it paired incredibly well. In many ways it felt like a Lionheart jnr. which did make me wonder if there was an element of gold as well as silver plated copper going on with this cable. It's not quite as punchy as the Lionheart with these pairings but still extending the bass and keeping the treble pleasing whilst pushing the mids/Vocals forward slightly. It was also pretty good with the U18ts. I've been spoilt by having listened to the U18ts with my Leonidas II Octa for a while and nothing (except the Janus Basso!) really compares but I'd say that this was a great lower-budget option for the U18ts, bringing out a little of the rich mids of that IEM and extending the bass in a very pleasing way. It's similarly pretty great with the Andromedas, bringing out a slightly richer bass that the Andromeda really needs to bring the most out of them, in my opinion.

At first I thought that the cost would be the 'copper' cable on the lower end, the 'silver' cable in the middle and the 'copper/silver' at the higher end of the range. But after listening to all three a little further, I suspect that it's probably exactly the other way around. So my guess would be something like... 'Copper/Silver' - $199, 'Silver' - $249 and 'Copper' - $299. Honestly, if they all fall in that budget range, then they are all exceptional value and I have already asked Eric to bring along a 'copper' and 'copper/silver' to Canjam London for me to buy if they are ready in time as I particularly love both of those cables. The 'silver' is great too but I already have enough great cables that are already paired with the IEMs I own that it would best suit. The form factor of the connector is really nice too, if that's similar to what ends up on the final cables, of course.

This, I suspect, 'budget' range really steps up the level of what a budget range can be and, if they fall roughly within the costings that I suspect they will be, all three cables will be a huge, and well deserved, hit for Eric and Effect Audio. I, for one, can't wait to get my hands on them.

Ever tried the Cleopatra 8 wire with the Andromeda? Janus D was also excellent with Andromeda, but I ultimately preferred the smoother sound of the Cleopatra 8. Leo II 4-wire was also great with Andromeda, but it wasn't as lively sounding as Cleopatra 8 wire to me. Imaging is amazing and maybe tied in technicality for both Leo 4 wire and Cleopatra 8, but soundstage is just better with the Cleopatra 8. Wish I tried the Janus B with Andromeda during my time there.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #3,675 of 7,904
Ever tried the Cleopatra 8 wire with the Andromeda? Janus D was also excellent with Andromeda, but I ultimately preferred the smoother sound of the Cleopatra 8. Leo II 4-wire was also great with Andromeda, but it wasn't as lively sounding as Cleopatra 8 wire to me. Imaging is amazing and maybe tied in technicality for both Leo 4 wire and Cleopatra 8, but soundstage is just better with the Cleopatra 8. Wish I tried the Janus B with Andromeda during my time there.

Honestly, the Janus Dynamic was the better pairing with the Andromeda for me and an absolutely superb pairing with the Solaris too. I even commented to Eric that it was as if the Janus Dynamic was created specifically for the Solaris. It will undoubtedly be my next Effect Audio purchase (apart from the new 'mystery' cables I already mentioned).

The Cleopatra 8-wire was also amazing with the Andromedas and Solaris but perhaps favoured the high end a bit too much (whilst definitely not skimping on the low end either, which is a great thing) but I felt the mids really came alive with the Janus Dynamic in a way that just felt really 'natural' in both those IEMs, that the Cleo 8 just couldn't quite match (although a very close second).

On a different note, I can't rave enough about how spectacular the Janus Basso sounds with the U18ts (much to my susprise - I think Eric was pretty surprised at my reaction to that pairing too). I absolutely love it when the U18ts are really pushed hard in the low end (which they are very capable of with the right cable and source pairings) and the Janus Basso is the ultimate. It's V-shaped sound also pushes the highs to their extreme without getting fatiguing and without compromising the mids. I thought my Leo 8 wire was unreal with the U18ts but now that I have the Janus Basso, my U18ts are glued to it.

I loved the Cleo 8 wire with them too and also the Leo 4 wire (which has a very different sound to the 8 wire version in my opinion) was spectacular with my Encores but my budget just couldn't stretch to get either of those cables as well this time unfortunately.

Once again I feel the need to put a shout out to Eric for not only producing such incredible cables but for just being a really cool, knowledgable and likeable guy! Effect Audio has its great reputation and standing in the audio community for a reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back