Effect Audio cables thread
Oct 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #2,956 of 7,901
Can anyone provide an explanation as to what happened to my Ares II?

https://imgur.com/a/yEzeDnO

As you can see one side of the wiring is fine, the other has come unraveled and looks like two separate wires rather than having them intertwined like they should be. On top of that the plastic cover for the 2 pin on one side slides off and I’ve removed these from my IEMs maybe 5 times since May when I received my LX.

Thanks!

Oct 19, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #2,957 of 7,901

As you can see one side of the wiring is fine, the other has come unraveled and looks like two separate wires rather than having them intertwined like they should be. On top of that the plastic cover for the 2 pin on one side slides off and I’ve removed these from my IEMs maybe 5 times since May when I received my LX.

Thanks!
4wires does have a tendency to unravel I noticed. I just twisted both ends in seperated directions. 8 wire is braided so none of that.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #2,959 of 7,901
After reading recent comments ..….I'm feeling relieved that after nearly purchasing an EA Cable I opted for a Forza instead
I mean its just cosmetic stuff, sound quality is still the same and nothing that impedes the cables function. It just doesnt look as asthetic.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #2,960 of 7,901
I’m sure if I wanted it fixed EA would handle it without any issues. It’s not that big of a deal to me, just curious as to how the cable unraveled. If that was a Leo II though I’d 100% be sending it back to get both the cable fixed and the 2 pin plastic cover fixed.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #2,961 of 7,901
I’m sure if I wanted it fixed EA would handle it without any issues. It’s not that big of a deal to me, just curious as to how the cable unraveled. If that was a Leo II though I’d 100% be sending it back to get both the cable fixed and the 2 pin plastic cover fixed.
Do you think the plastic cover that slid off your connector was some how holding the twist in the two wires tight? Maybe it was glued both to the connector and the two wires. Just guessing.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #2,962 of 7,901
Do you think the plastic cover that slid off your connector was some how holding the twist in the two wires together? Maybe it was glued both to the connector and the two wires. Just guessing.

I’m not sure. The wire has been unraveled for as long as I can remember if I’m honest, the plastic only just came undone this week when I took off my Ares 8 wire to sell so I could stick with my 4 wire for comfort reasons.

Oct 19, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #2,963 of 7,901
Do you think the plastic cover that slid off your connector was some how holding the twist in the two wires tight? Maybe it was glued both to the connector and the two wires. Just guessing.
Most likely not. The cover was fine on my 4 wire and it still unraveled

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #2,965 of 7,901
sorry if this is an obvious question but is this unraveling thing a common issue then?
Might depend on usage. Ive been babying my Lionheart, no issues. I did notice that the Aries II started unraveling after I started coiling it around a cable wrapper

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #2,966 of 7,901
Might depend on usage. Ive been babying my Lionheart, no issues. I did notice that the Aries II started unraveling after I started coiling it around a cable wrapper

That might be it then. One reason that I am looking at cables is that my stock cable hopelessly unravelled. I was keeping it wrapped in the case which had a built-in cable wrapper thing.

Oct 19, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #2,968 of 7,901

Thanks!

This is caused by the 2-wire section being twisted the wrong way in use. I've had occasions where this happened while I'm uncoiling a cable and I immediately twist it in the opposite direction so the braid forms again. What you can do is slowly twist the section in different directions until you find the one where the braid reforms, which I implore you to do ASAP before the wire eventually develops memory and stays in this position.

Oct 22, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #2,970 of 7,901
Has Effect Audio considered hosting a cable tour?

I realize an Aussie tour may be a little much to hope for but know that many of our American members would benefit greatly from a US tour, especially one that contained the upper-end models which can be difficult or impossible for many Head-Fiers to audition, and inadvisable to buy blind when cable-IEM synergy is such a big deal. I'm sure many would also love to demo some 8 wire variants to see what benefits they'd receive from upgrading their existing EA cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back