Effect Audio cables thread
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #2,071 of 7,865
Hi all,

I'm picking up a pair of JH Audio jh16v2s in their universal form soon and was also hoping to grab the Ares II for my cable.

What connection should I select during the ordering process? Should it be the JH24?

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #2,072 of 7,865
Hi all,

I'm picking up a pair of JH Audio jh16v2s in their universal form soon and was also hoping to grab the Ares II for my cable.

What connection should I select during the ordering process? Should it be the JH24?

Yes, the v2's use the JH24 or JH 4-pin connector.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #2,073 of 7,865
Yes, the v2's use the JH24 or JH 4-pin connector.

Thanks, just to double check would this be the correct setup?

Ares II
Connector
JH24
Termination Type
EA3.5mm Rhodium-Plated
Y-SPLIT
EA Carbon Fibre Rugged

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #2,074 of 7,865

Ares II
Connector
JH24
Termination Type
EA3.5mm Rhodium-Plated
Y-SPLIT
EA Carbon Fibre Rugged
I believe you will need to have an 6 or 8wire bespoke cable made for your JH if you want the bass pot. If not a 4wire cable with the JH24 without bass pot will mean that the bass is set at maximum all the time.

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #2,075 of 7,865

Ares II
Connector
JH24
Termination Type
EA3.5mm Rhodium-Plated
Y-SPLIT
EA Carbon Fibre Rugged

As long as this cable is meant for single-ended use (i.e. with the 3.5mm jack on phones, DAPs, etc.), then you’re all good to go. :)

I believe you will need to have an 6 or 8wire bespoke cable made for your JH if you want the bass pot. If not a 4wire cable with the JH24 without bass pot will mean that the bass is set at maximum all the time.

Isn’t the cable 8-wire by default if you pick the JH24 option? I was wondering why the Y-split was the rugged one and that may be why. I can confirm, though: To my knowledge, the bass pot can only exist in 8-wire cables (not sure about 6-wired ones).

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #2,076 of 7,865
I'll clarify with EA support over email. This is my first time with a high end JH IEM and I'll be able to have a better idea when I have it in hand next week.

This is why we double check things!

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #2,077 of 7,865
*NOTE*
For JH24 Set (With Bass Control ), it is only available for 6wires or 8wires configuration. Please write in a "Bespoke" request to us.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #2,079 of 7,865
There was a guy in the high end cable thread that had a Brimar without the bass pot, and he stated that he didn't quite like it. Like the others said, take that into account.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #2,080 of 7,865
There was a guy in the high end cable thread that had a Brimar without the bass pot, and he stated that he didn't quite like it. Like the others said, take that into account.

There are companies out there like DHC to whom you can specify the amount of bass you want (i.e. zero boost, 11 o’ clock, 2 o’ clock, full, etc.). Then, they add resistors to the plug to meet that criteria - a neat feature that EA may consider adopting somewhere down the line. :wink:

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #2,081 of 7,865
There are companies out there like DHC to whom you can specify the amount of bass you want (i.e. zero boost, 11 o’ clock, 2 o’ clock, full, etc.). Then, they add resistors to the plug to meet that criteria - a neat feature that EA may consider adopting somewhere down the line. :wink:

I hope not D. I'm not a believer in an iem that has such a pot to begin with, but I'll reserve that judgement until the mentor gets to me.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #2,082 of 7,865
I hope not D. I'm not a believer in an iem that has such a pot to begin with, but I'll reserve that judgement until the mentor gets to me.

Oh, no, the sole purpose of this feature is to remove the pot entirely. The tiny resistors are hidden within the barrel of the plug (be it 3.5mm, 2.5mm, etc.) and it locks the bass response at your predetermined level. That way, there'd be no need for the pot and you'd have a much more ergonomic set-up.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:46 AM Post #2,083 of 7,865
Oh, no, the sole purpose of this feature is to remove the pot entirely. The tiny resistors are hidden within the barrel of the plug (be it 3.5mm, 2.5mm, etc.) and it locks the bass response at your predetermined level. That way, there'd be no need for the pot and you'd have a much more ergonomic set-up.

Ah, I see. I'd still rather have a "pure" cable than one with resistors inside it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #2,084 of 7,865
Ah, I see. I'd still rather have a "pure" cable than one with resistors inside it.

Yeah, but then the bass will constantly be on full-whack. :D Besides, this specific method of wiring does not exist outside of JH IEMs anyway, so all you have to do is avoid buying their products. :p

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #2,085 of 7,865
Sharing a few amateur thoughts on the following cables paired with the Phantom.

Leonidas 4w. Bass and treble beautifully controlled and extended compared to the Ares II. Ares II felt raw and bold, Leonidas felt refined and and elegant, without lacking body. The Ares II at times exhibited a muddying of the mids from the emotional bass, and the Leonidas perfectly tames this, enhancing vocals tenfold. The Leonidas is also brighter and more transparent than the Ares II, providing a much cleaner separation and display. However, that comes at the slight loss of warmth and emotion which I might say takes a bit away from the timbre. That said, it was still extremely musical and balanced, thoroughly complementing the Phantom. I spent the most time listening to the Leonidas 4w because of how magnificent the synergy was.

Leonidas 8w. Bass and treble is equally beautifully controlled and extended like the 4w. However, the 8w is more laid back due to the slightly wider soundstage and less energetic tone. While the 8w didn't sound hollow, I felt like there was a little too much distance between you and the action. I much prefer the 4w to the 8w.

Lionheart 4w. I actually prefer this to the Leonidas 8w. Tonally, I think the Lionheart retains the Phantom signature the best. A little warmth helps the beautiful timbre that we all love. Unfortunately, I decided against the Lionheart because it was a bit too relaxed and laid-back for my liking. It didn't have that same punch and weight as the Leonidas 4w, even though it has very comparable extensions on both ends. The Leonidas is a little brighter and you get a bit more than what you lose.

Lionheart 8w. Did not like this at all because it was way too laid back.

Janus D. I should start off by saying that the cable is a beauty. The Janus controlled the bass extremely well and prevented any muddying of the mids. Vocals were on point and treble was perfectly extended. Compared to the Leonidas 4w, it is a little warmer which helped a little in the emotional display. But alas, at least to my ears, I wasn't hearing that micro detail and energy that the Leonidas so powerfully exhibited. The Janus was no slouch of course, and I would definitely recommend this pairing with the Phantom. But for what you're paying for this vs the Leonidas, and what you're getting, I couldn't help but think that the Leonidas was the wiser choice of the two. The Leonidas is more exciting, the Janus is more matured.

I had wanted to audition the M4L4 as well but unfortunately it is unavailable. However, I'm informed that it is brighter than the Leonidas and that's probably too bright for my liking anyway.

Disclaimer: The above are my amateur thoughts and should not be taken to be definitive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back