Effect Audio cables thread
May 18, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #2,041 of 7,865
And the Bespoke continues...

Unboxing 03.jpg

ThorBespoke & LX 01.jpg

Thor Silver II 8-Wire

May 18, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #2,043 of 7,865
what does the 8 wire have over the 4?

also for portable use is the 8 wire heavy?

It's going to be a while before I feel comfortable making claims as to the differences in audio performance. Lots of testing ahead of me. Be patient. :wink:

What I can say right now is i find this cable remarkably comfortable and easy to use. This was my biggest fear. I demand good ergonomics, and this delivers surprisingly well for an 8-wire.

Of course, I'm using a lapel clip, to give me slack and free head mobility. But I find clips a goddamn must for 99% of the cables in existence. I'm very sensitive to things hindering my head movement, so I've had to accept clips as a necessity.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #2,044 of 7,865
Sorry if this is a silly question but does it make less sense to invest in an 8 wire IEM cable using a 2.5mm connector, given it has less contact area than 3.5mm or 4.4mm connectors?

May 19, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #2,045 of 7,865
Sorry if this is a silly question but does it make less sense to invest in an 8 wire IEM cable using a 2.5mm connector, given it has less contact area than 3.5mm or 4.4mm connectors?

I should be curious if any studies have been done on this.

From my experience, though, there is still more than enough surface area for effective signal transfer.

May 19, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #2,046 of 7,865

I've observed the same amount of scaling from 4-wire to 8-wire whether it be on 2.5mm plugs or 4.4mm plugs, so it does not matter as far as I'm concerned.

May 19, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #2,048 of 7,865
I haven’t heard mine yet, but this is exactly what I love about 8-wire cables! It creates a larger stage whilst keeping instrument structure mostly the same. So, instead of stretching them out, I always describe the presentation as, “The same band playing in a larger auditorium.” It just ends up translating as free air and headroom, which is an awesome sensation to behold with IEMs that have to compromise staging for tone and timbre. With 8-wire cables, you get the best of both worlds sonically, even if ergonomics aren’t the most ideal. :wink:
It is really interesting because I had no idea what to expect, but it certainly feels different from how the stage is extended by, say, a silver cable. This will be a very interesting review to work on! And if this is (generally speaking) the type of advantage that an 8-wire cable provides, I might just have found a new addiction! :D Works wonders for classical music!

The ergonomics are pretty good too, btw, I was enjoying the Stones and Caro Emerald yesterday while cooking dinner and had no issues with the weight of the cable.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #2,049 of 7,865
I have Ares II and I already had Thor Copper. Thor Copper has a more detailed sound, with more accurate bass and greater impact. It has a better extension and definition in treble than the Ares II. But the Ares II has more middle forward, sweeter, and a more musical sound. Basically that's the difference between the two cables.

@Vitor Valeri - Thanks for the impressions!! Sounds like it would pair well with the Phantom. Have you experienced what Deezel was describing?

Keep in mind, the Thor Copper is not a Litz cable. As a result, it may go green over time... just like mine did within hours of it entering Jakarta's atmosphere. :D

@Deezel177 - Sounds like a dealbreaker!! They say that black goes with everything but green does not go well with me. How green are we talking about here?? :D

May 20, 2018 at 12:00 AM Post #2,050 of 7,865
@Vitor Valeri - Thanks for the impressions!! Sounds like it would pair well with the Phantom. Have you experienced what Deezel was describing?

No, I used Thor Copper for just over 6 months and nothing has happened so far in terms of color change (a consequence of oxidation).

May 20, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #2,051 of 7,865

@Deezel177 - Sounds like a dealbreaker!! They say that black goes with everything but green does not go well with me. How green are we talking about here?? :D

Essentially, the whole cable turns dark green.

No, I used Thor Copper for just over 6 months and nothing has happened so far in terms of color change (a consequence of oxidation).

Either you got lucky or you’re living in a more supportive climate. Regardless, the simple fact that the cable is not Litz-wired will inevitably turn it green from oxidation. It’s only a matter of time.

May 20, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #2,052 of 7,865
Either you got lucky or you’re living in a more supportive climate. Regardless, the simple fact that the cable is not Litz-wired will inevitably turn it green from oxidation. It’s only a matter of time.

I live in the Cerrado biome where the climate is dry and hot where there is a small rainy season, but much of the year is dry.

It may be that with the use of 1 year or 2 there is a rust on the cable. But I believe it will not change color because Thor Copper is silver plated and the one that will oxidize will be the copper that is covered with silver.

May 20, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #2,053 of 7,865
I live in the Cerrado biome where the climate is dry and hot where there is a small rainy season, but much of the year is dry.

It may be that with the use of 1 year or 2 there is a rust on the cable. But I believe it will not change color because Thor Copper is silver plated and the one that will oxidize will be the copper that is covered with silver.

Well, fact of the matter is, mine did and it's green all around. I've also seen a lot of second-hand or demo Thor Copper's in Singapore for sale and they were all similarly oxidised. Silver will oxidise just as copper will. I've seen pure silver cables from PWAudio or PlusSound oxidise simply because they weren't Litz cables. In fact, I believe there was a case made by Ray Kimber that SPC is more prone to oxidation because air can seep through into the tiny spaces between the silver plating and the copper core, whether in manufacturing or in use. So, while I think oxidation may take longer to occur in certain climates more than others, it's undeniably a possibility if the cable is not Litz-wired.

May 20, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #2,054 of 7,865

You are lucky, my friend!!

Essentially, the whole cable turns dark green.

I will remember not to bring them to Jakarta/Asia then. Although it will be a great excuse for buying a CA Andromeda to pair it with!! hahaha

May 20, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #2,055 of 7,865
Well, fact of the matter is, mine did and it's green all around. I've also seen a lot of second-hand or demo Thor Copper's in Singapore for sale and they were all similarly oxidised. Silver will oxidise just as copper will. I've seen pure silver cables from PWAudio or PlusSound oxidise simply because they weren't Litz cables. In fact, I believe there was a case made by Ray Kimber that SPC is more prone to oxidation because air can seep through into the tiny spaces between the silver plating and the copper core, whether in manufacturing or in use. So, while I think oxidation may take longer to occur in certain climates more than others, it's undeniably a possibility if the cable is not Litz-wired.

I understand. I did not know that... Thank you for the explanation! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back