Effect Audio cables thread
May 17, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,012 of 7,904
So I was interested in effect audio's bespoke cable, I filled in a form once, emailed their info email as well, but after one week still no feedback. Anyone had similar experience before?

May 17, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #2,013 of 7,904
So I was interested in effect audio's bespoke cable, I filled in a form once, emailed their info email as well, but after one week still no feedback. Anyone had similar experience before?
Generally Effect Audio is quick to respond, but I believe that Eric (@EffectAudio ) has just been to the Munich High End Show and that might have caused a some delays. As it happens, I am expecting a bespoke cable later today and it took around 4 weeks in total (including shipping to the UK).

May 17, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #2,014 of 7,904
Generally Effect Audio is quick to respond, but I believe that Eric (@EffectAudio ) has just been to the Munich High End Show and that might have caused a some delays. As it happens, I am expecting a bespoke cable later today and it took around 4 weeks in total (including shipping to the UK).

I see. Thanks for the heads up. Which bespoke cable did you get?

May 17, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #2,015 of 7,904
I thought it might be helpful to share some impressions of the Effect cables I've heard so far, so I've written a brief overview.

Ares II

Effect's entry-level cable is the Ares II, which remains their top-selling cable for its unique characteristics, besides its price of course. Ares II provides an increased mid-bass quantity, which provides a warm tone and adds some body to its instruments compared to a stock cable. While the bass is punchy, it remains relatively controlled rather than dominant, resulting in a relatively airy stage, which benefits its separation. Ares II contrasts the warmth of its bass with a slight lift in the lower treble, which gives it a, for a copper cable, somewhat uncharacteristic touch of brightness. The lower treble lift increases its note articulation, and adds some bite to guitars or violins. Its midrange is relatively neutral, with a slightly leaner lower midrange. Pursuant to its treble lift, it offers a slightly wider stage. Where Ares II excels is the cleanliness of the sound, as it offers good transparency and separation within its pricerange.

Ares II+
Increasing the gauge compared to Ares II primarily effects the quantity of its bass. Ares II+ provides a greater emphasis on mid- and especially upper-bass, resulting in a warmer, smoother, and thicker sound. While this might come down to preference, I would argue it offers nicer tone with a better timbre than Ares II. However, compared to Ares II, the quantity of its bass affects both its separation and transparency. The thicker notes are less demarcated, so the sound tends to blend together resulting in a direct tradeoff. Personally, I prefer the greater balance between performance and tone of Ares II. Even so, people that prefer bass (quantity) or a warmer sound might be best served with Ares II+.

Eros II
Eros is a silver/copper hybrid, that mixes characteristics of each wire. Compared to Ares II (or more generally the other cables), Eros has a reduced mid-bass quantity, resulting in a tight but leaner bass. By reducing the quantity of the bass, its note size is neutral without additional thickness. The sound becomes open and clear, without resorting to brightness as the treble remains neutral. The reduced bass quantity and linear treble gives it its trademark 'uncolored sound', as its tone is neither particularly warm nor bright. Where the Eros II particularly shines, is the airiness of the stage. Attenuating the mid-bass quantity opens the stage, without necessarily significantly increasing its dimensions. As a result, it offers a nice level of detail by means of its air and separation, but in an unforced and relatively natural way. Eros II is a nice option for those looking for an airy and uncolored sound, or to attenuate the bass.

Eros II+
As with Ares II+, the primary difference with Eros II is the quantity of its bass. Eros II+ again offers an increased quantity of bass in the upper regions. Instruments gain in body, as does the overall size of the bass. However, in contrast to Ares II+ the warmth of the bass is more controlled, resulting in both a more neutral tone, as well as airier stage. Nevertheless, the emphasis on mid- and upper-bass results in a bit of boomy bass, rather than a tight and impactful bass relying on extension and sub-bass when compared to cables as Leonidas and Horus. But much like Eros II, its strength lies in providing a relatively neutral and uncolored sound, along with a particularly smooth upper treble due to the increased quantity of bass. And of course for bass enthusiasts, an increase in overall quantity.

Leonidas
Leonidas is perhaps Effect's hallmark cable. I once wrote that a quality $300 silver cable is the peak of price-to-performance for cables, as the increased quality compared to a stock or affordable copper cable is most pronounced before diminishing returns start to kick in. However, in the upper regions, Leonidas has proven an allround cable with a similar proposition within its class. One of Leonidas' highlights its the authority of its bass. It offers a controlled bass, with an emphasis on the sub- and lower portions of the mid-bass. As a result, it's a tight, but impactful bass, relying on extension rather than quantity. Controlling the warmth of the upper regions of the bass combined with a smooth treble, results in a relatively neutral tone and bodied midrange. Arguably, its tone could be a bit warmer to sound completely accurate in timbre, but it does have a realistic quality, besides an inoffensive approach. Combined with good resolution and transparency, Leonidas is a versatile allrounder that shall be missed.

Horus
Effect's current TOTL offering is Horus, which utilizes special features as multisizing and an especially high strand count. Horus offers good bottom-end extension, with a controlled but impactful mid-bass. It offers a more linear response between sub- and mid-bass than Leonidas, but its mid-bass is mostly more resolved, resulting in greater definition of its impact. Its general tone is just a touch north of neutral, offering a primarily clear sound following a lower treble lift. This provides a nice touch of sparkle, while increasing its articulation. However, its upper treble remains relatively smooth, making it pair relatively well with iems that already sport an upper treble lift. Perhaps due to its 4-wire design, Horus does not necessarily offer an exceptionally spacious stage. However, it impresses with its background blackness, as well as the airiness of the stage. Accordingly, it offers a high level of separation based on the quality of the stage, resulting in a effortless presentation of its detail.

Compared to Leonidas, it improves in resolution, while offering a touch more sparkle. However, Leonidas has more prominence in the (center) midrange frequencies, resulting in a more forward midrange, and bodied vocals. Due to the slightly laid-back position of Horus' midrange, its midrange is somewhat smoother, although it is also a bit leaner. Alongside its higher resolution, this aids in improving its separation by creating more space. Even so, Horus lower treble is slightly more prominent. Altogether, Horus improves in performance, while offering a clearer sound, with a lively lower treble. By contrast, Leonidas' midrange offers a bit more body, and is a touch closer to neutral in tone.

May 17, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #2,016 of 7,904
I thought it might be helpful to share some impressions of the Effect cables I've heard so far, so I've written a brief overview.

Ares II

Effect's entry-level cable is the Ares II, which remains their top-selling cable for its unique characteristics, besides its price of course. Ares II provides an increased mid-bass quantity, which provides a warm tone and adds some body to its instruments compared to a stock cable. While the bass is punchy, it remains relatively controlled rather than dominant, resulting in a relatively airy stage, which benefits its separation. Ares II contrasts the warmth of its bass with a slight lift in the lower treble, which gives it a, for a copper cable, somewhat uncharacteristic touch of brightness. The lower treble lift increases its note articulation, and adds some bite to guitars or violins. Its midrange is relatively neutral, with a slightly leaner lower midrange. Pursuant to its treble lift, it offers a slightly wider stage. Where Ares II excels is the cleanliness of the sound, as it offers good transparency and separation within its pricerange.

Ares II+
Increasing the gauge compared to Ares II primarily effects the quantity of its bass. Ares II+ provides a greater emphasis on mid- and especially upper-bass, resulting in a warmer, smoother, and thicker sound. While this might come down to preference, I would argue it offers nicer tone with a better timbre than Ares II. However, compared to Ares II, the quantity of its bass affects both its separation and transparency. The thicker notes are less demarcated, so the sound tends to blend together resulting in a direct tradeoff. Personally, I prefer the greater balance between performance and tone of Ares II. Even so, people that prefer bass (quantity) or a warmer sound might be best served with Ares II+.

Eros II
Eros is a silver/copper hybrid, that mixes characteristics of each wire. Compared to Ares II (or more generally the other cables), Eros has a reduced mid-bass quantity, resulting in a tight but leaner bass. By reducing the quantity of the bass, its note size is neutral without additional thickness. The sound becomes open and clear, without resorting to brightness as the treble remains neutral. The reduced bass quantity and linear treble gives it its trademark 'uncolored sound', as its tone is neither particularly warm nor bright. Where the Eros II particularly shines, is the airiness of the stage. Attenuating the mid-bass quantity opens the stage, without necessarily significantly increasing its dimensions. As a result, it offers a nice level of detail by means of its air and separation, but in an unforced and relatively natural way. Eros II is a nice option for those looking for an airy and uncolored sound, or to attenuate the bass.

Eros II+
As with Ares II+, the primary difference with Eros II is the quantity of its bass. Eros II+ again offers an increased quantity of bass in the upper regions. Instruments gain in body, as does the overall size of the bass. However, in contrast to Ares II+ the warmth of the bass is more controlled, resulting in both a more neutral tone, as well as airier stage. Nevertheless, the emphasis on mid- and upper-bass results in a bit of boomy bass, rather than a tight and impactful bass relying on extension and sub-bass when compared to cables as Leonidas and Horus. But much like Eros II, its strength lies in providing a relatively neutral and uncolored sound, along with a particularly smooth upper treble due to the increased quantity of bass. And of course for bass enthusiasts, an increase in overall quantity.

Leonidas
Leonidas is perhaps Effect's hallmark cable. I once wrote that a quality $300 silver cable is the peak of price-to-performance for cables, as the increased quality compared to a stock or affordable copper cable is most pronounced before diminishing returns start to kick in. However, in the upper regions, Leonidas has proven an allround cable with a similar proposition within its class. One of Leonidas' highlights its the authority of its bass. It offers a controlled bass, with an emphasis on the sub- and lower portions of the mid-bass. As a result, it's a tight, but impactful bass, relying on extension rather than quantity. Controlling the warmth of the upper regions of the bass combined with a smooth treble, results in a relatively neutral tone and bodied midrange. Arguably, its tone could be a bit warmer to sound completely accurate in timbre, but it does have a realistic quality, besides an inoffensive approach. Combined with good resolution and transparency, Leonidas is a versatile allrounder that shall be missed.

Horus
Effect's current TOTL offering is Horus, which utilizes special features as multisizing and an especially high strand count. Horus offers good bottom-end extension, with a controlled but impactful mid-bass. It offers a more linear response between sub- and mid-bass than Leonidas, but its mid-bass is mostly more resolved, resulting in greater definition of its impact. Its general tone is just a touch north of neutral, offering a primarily clear sound following a lower treble lift. This provides a nice touch of sparkle, while increasing its articulation. However, its upper treble remains relatively smooth, making it pair relatively well with iems that already sport an upper treble lift. Perhaps due to its 4-wire design, Horus does not necessarily offer an exceptionally spacious stage. However, it impresses with its background blackness, as well as the airiness of the stage. Accordingly, it offers a high level of separation based on the quality of the stage, resulting in a effortless presentation of its detail.

Compared to Leonidas, it improves in resolution, while offering a touch more sparkle. However, Leonidas has more prominence in the (center) midrange frequencies, resulting in a more forward midrange, and bodied vocals. Due to the slightly laid-back position of Horus' midrange, its midrange is somewhat smoother, although it is also a bit leaner. Alongside its higher resolution, this aids in improving its separation by creating more space. Even so, Horus lower treble is slightly more prominent. Altogether, Horus improves in performance, while offering a clearer sound, with a lively lower treble. By contrast, Leonidas' midrange offers a bit more body, and is a touch closer to neutral in tone.
Thanks for the review. If I remember right you also tried the Janus D. So which cable would you say is your preferred cable with the Phantom?

May 17, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #2,017 of 7,904
Thanks for the review. If I remember right you also tried the Janus D. So which cable would you say is your preferred cable with the Phantom?
I suspected someone might ask that, but I haven't heard Janus since Canjam NY :wink:

I think right now between Horus and Leonidas I am leaning towards Leonidas for Phantom, as I would use that for more vocal-based music. Janus might potentially be a more exciting pairing than Leonidas, but I would need to listen again. From memory, it offers a warmer midrange, with a slightly more energetic treble and greater bass extension. But this is an ultra-vague comparison based on products I heard months apart hehe.

May 17, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2,019 of 7,904
Having only heard the 4-wire Leo, I would say, it is unnecessary. Though, if you have the money, why not? I'm sure there are some benefits. But standard Leonidas is so good already, I would not feel bad "settling" for it. :D

May 17, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #2,021 of 7,904
And the REVIEWERS step their game another notch. Damn, just when I thought...... my bad for thinking. Sorry guys and gals.

May 17, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #2,023 of 7,904
I see. Thanks for the heads up. Which bespoke cable did you get?
Ares II 8-wire (for review)...

AresII_8W.png

May 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,024 of 7,904
Ares II 8-wire (for review)...

Just on looks alone, it appears it would be great as a match for a north of neutral full size headphone. Very nice looking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back