Effect Audio cables thread
Apr 29, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #1,966 of 7,908
Thanks so @ctsooner22, I will be purchasing a Phantom with the Ares II cable soon. However, I'm having trouble deciding on the termination (3.5 SE, 2.5 Bal, or 4.4 Bal).

My current DAP is a Hibino R10 (Japanese Ibasso DX100) with a 3.5 SE. My laptop and other devices are also 3.5 SE.

I plan to eventually upgrade (maybe in year or less, depending on my wife's mood) to an Ibasso DX200 with 3.5 SE & 2.5 Bal, and then a few months after to an AMP4 with 4.4 Bal.

As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too, but I was planning on just getting the Ares II on 2.5 Bal, and then get reliable adapters (2.5 to 3.5 from Effect Audio or Ibasso and 2.5 to 4.4 from Ibasso). I figured that going from 2.5 to others will be easier than going from 3.5 or 4.4 to others.

Any thoughts if this is a good idea? Will any of the adapters color the sound or even lower SQ overall??

Thanks!!

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #1,967 of 7,908
Thanks so @ctsooner22, I will be purchasing a Phantom with the Ares II cable soon. However, I'm having trouble deciding on the termination (3.5 SE, 2.5 Bal, or 4.4 Bal).

My current DAP is a Hibino R10 (Japanese Ibasso DX100) with a 3.5 SE. My laptop and other devices are also 3.5 SE.

I plan to eventually upgrade (maybe in year or less, depending on my wife's mood) to an Ibasso DX200 with 3.5 SE & 2.5 Bal, and then a few months after to an AMP4 with 4.4 Bal.

As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too, but I was planning on just getting the Ares II on 2.5 Bal, and then get reliable adapters (2.5 to 3.5 from Effect Audio or Ibasso and 2.5 to 4.4 from Ibasso). I figured that going from 2.5 to others will be easier than going from 3.5 or 4.4 to others.

Any thoughts if this is a good idea? Will any of the adapters color the sound or even lower SQ overall??

Thanks!!
If you want to be able to use all the different types of output, then 2.5 Bal is indeed the easiest to go with. Effect Audio have "ultrashort" adapters to both 3.5 SE and 4.4 Bal, which (if I remember Eric's comments from a while back) will have only a minimal impact on the sound.

Had a quick search to see if I could find his comments:
Whereas for terminations (3.5mm, 2.5mm, 4.4mm etc), there are already many available Ultrashort Adaptors and EA does them too. Albeit purist might still complain of the signal degradation with added connection, I find the trade-off to be rather worthwhile and logical. (eg : It doesn't makes sense to order 2x "Leonidas" in different terminations for the same IEM). So in situations where you find yourself in the company of too many DAPs, have your cable crafted in 2.5mm and ask if your cable atelier provide options for Ultrashort terminations adaptors :)

Just my 2cents on the subject :D

-Eric

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #1,968 of 7,908
Good Question. I prefer the "Leonidas" on Phantom myself though. If i have to "Janus" on Phantom, i would go for Legend X :wink:
I tried the Leonidas with my Phantom at a local headphone store today and I really liked it. It kept the overall tone of the earphone but seemed to enhance it. I remember really liking the Janus D when I tried the demo at the show last month here in HK but I guess I'll have to wait until the shop gets a demo so that I can do a direct comparison before finalizing on which cable to get. Or I'll have to wait until August when I get a few days off and see if I could take a trip to Singapore to try them at Euphoria. :grin:

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #1,969 of 7,908
I tried the Leonidas with my Phantom at a local headphone store today and I really liked it. It kept the overall tone of the earphone but seemed to enhance it. I remember really liking the Janus D when I tried the demo at the show last month here in HK but I guess I'll have to wait until the shop gets a demo so that I can do a direct comparison before finalizing on which cable to get. Or I'll have to wait until August when I get a few days off and see if I could take a trip to Singapore to try them at Euphoria. :grin:

Just received my ' nearly new" Phantoms a few days ago and really enjoying them. So much so that I already know they are keepers and now thinking of upgrading my cable to either the Leo or Janus D.

I will be demoing these at this years London CanJam but in the meantime if anyone has any reviews or impressions on these im 'all ears" guys

Apr 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,970 of 7,908

Thanks!!
I have a couple of 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapters, one of them being an EA adapter. No noticeable degradation to my ears, though they can be unwieldy if you carry your DAP in your pocket.

With and without adapter
IMG_3929.jpg IMG_4006.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #1,971 of 7,908
If you want to be able to use all the different types of output, then 2.5 Bal is indeed the easiest to go with. Effect Audio have "ultrashort" adapters to both 3.5 SE and 4.4 Bal, which (if I remember Eric's comments from a while back) will have only a minimal impact on the sound.

Had a quick search to see if I could find his comments:

@Wyville - That's awesome. And really appreciate you digging up Eric's past comment!!!

I have a couple of 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapters, one of them being an EA adapter. No noticeable degradation to my ears, though they can be unwieldy if you carry your DAP in your pocket.

With and without adapter

@fiascogarcia - nice setup you've got there! Glad to see that you don't find adapters to be a 'weak link' in a TOTL chain.

That settles it then! Looking forward to joining the Effect Audio club soon!!

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #1,972 of 7,908

Well, no obligations' just drinks, sweet demos and a chic' sofa sitting round here at Euphoria :imp:

Just received my ' nearly new" Phantoms a few days ago and really enjoying them. So much so that I already know they are keepers and now thinking of upgrading my cable to either the Leo or Janus D.

I will be demoing these at this years London CanJam but in the meantime if anyone has any reviews or impressions on these im 'all ears" guys

We'll see you in London. Actually we're getting real excited for London this year. We had an absolute blast the last time round.

@Wyville - That's awesome. And really appreciate you digging up Eric's past comment!!!

@fiascogarcia - nice setup you've got there! Glad to see that you don't find adapters to be a 'weak link' in a TOTL chain.

That settles it then! Looking forward to joining the Effect Audio club soon!!

Welcome to the Effect Audio & Empire Ears family buddy! :)

@Wyville wow im surprised you managed to find that! :D

-Eric

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Apr 30, 2018 at 6:00 AM Post #1,973 of 7,908
My second cable from Effect, this time a Leonidas+Ares II hybrid. I wanted something different from the Lionheart and this delivers in spades; it has the resolution and incredible layering of the Leonidas combined with the warmth and rhythmic bass of the Ares II. Orginally, I wanted to go the straight Leonidas, and was recommended this one from Hiro at e earphones. It took quite a lot of extended listening to change my thinking but he was right. If you'd like the Leonidas with a little warmth give this one a go.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,975 of 7,908
people who have owned or heard the black edition Leonidas, how would you compare it to the regular version?

Is it using the exact same cables?

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,976 of 7,908
My second cable from Effect, this time a Leonidas+Ares II hybrid. I wanted something different from the Lionheart and this delivers in spades; it has the resolution and incredible layering of the Leonidas combined with the warmth and rhythmic bass of the Ares II. Orginally, I wanted to go the straight Leonidas, and was recommended this one from Hiro at e earphones. It took quite a lot of extended listening to change my thinking but he was right. If you'd like the Leonidas with a little warmth give this one a go.

people who have owned or heard the black edition Leonidas, how would you compare it to the regular version?

This looks so cool and the sound sig is very interesting? I didn't know they could do something like that. How much was it? I wonder how it compares to the Janus D? Sounds like that signature a bit???

What is the black addition? I'm so new over here, lol..... Thanks all...

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #1,978 of 7,908
Leonidas black is from a few years back iirc, I knew about it after they were all sold (limited edition)

I'm not sure, I can't find much documentation on it

thanks. You need to scold Eric over that, LMAO. :wink:.....Cables can be fun, that's for sure. That's why I intend to stay on this thread as I need to keep learning.

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,979 of 7,908
@Wyville wow im surprised you managed to find that! :D

-Eric
Hehe, I dig through archives for a living and despite generally behaving like an idiot, I am actually quite intelligent. I just hide it very well to avoid people getting expectations. :p

Apr 30, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,980 of 7,908
Is it using the exact same cables?

I believe the only sonic difference between the original Leo and the BE Leo lies in the PSquared plug. Everything else is the same, except in a matte black scheme.

This looks so cool and the sound sig is very interesting? I didn't know they could do something like that. How much was it? I wonder how it compares to the Janus D? Sounds like that signature a bit???

What is the black addition? I'm so new over here, lol..... Thanks all...

The Black Edition Leonidas is a special edition Leonidas equipped with black hardware and a PSquared plug. It’s all sold out now, unfortunately. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back