Effect Audio cables thread
Mar 8, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,681 of 7,901
A part of me really wants to try the Horus. Can anyone chime in on how it compares to the Leonidas?

Also, does effect audio do upgrades- as in, I can exchange my Leonidas + Money for the Horus?
U can trade with my ares ii and I'll help u talk to @EffectAudio :wink:
(Joking....)
AFAIK, they do not have such a service

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #1,683 of 7,901
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #1,686 of 7,901
Has anyone done a side by side comparison of the Leonidas and the Horus yet?

It doesn't look like it. Based on memory, the Horus is built like a drastically-improved Leonidas, but there are key differences that truly set them apart. Similarly, both cables have a focus on the sub-bass. However, the Horus is significantly more energetic, visceral and physical here. Superior bidirectional extension has given the Horus a clearer, more guttural and vastly better-resolved low-end. The Leonidas boasts a fun listen, but the Horus here is equal parts technically-proficient and devilishly-fun. The Horus has a more forward midrange with an emphasis on upper-mid clarity. The Leonidas is more even-handed and smooth, but it does not hold a candle to the Horus's clarity and transparency. The Leonidas also suffers because of its treble tone. Its upper-treble is relatively calm compared to its lower-treble, so details are more aggressively expressed as a result. There's a tizziness that hardens hi-hats, "s" sounds, etc. The Horus, on the other hand, is considerably more linear and extended as well. It benefits from gobs of headroom to produce more details with less fatigue. The Horus also layers and separates better overall due to its capable top-end - with a greater emphasis on clarity - while the Leonidas tip-toes between musical euphony and strict clarity.

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #1,687 of 7,901
It doesn't look like it. Based on memory, the Horus is built like a drastically-improved Leonidas, but there are key differences that truly set them apart. Similarly, both cables have a focus on the sub-bass. However, the Horus is significantly more energetic, visceral and physical here. Superior bidirectional extension has given the Horus a clearer, more guttural and vastly better-resolved low-end. The Leonidas boasts a fun listen, but the Horus here is equal parts technically-proficient and devilishly-fun. The Horus has a more forward midrange with an emphasis on upper-mid clarity. The Leonidas is more even-handed and smooth, but it does not hold a candle to the Horus's clarity and transparency. The Leonidas also suffers because of its treble tone. Its upper-treble is relatively calm compared to its lower-treble, so details are more aggressively expressed as a result. There's a tizziness that hardens hi-hats, "s" sounds, etc. The Horus, on the other hand, is considerably more linear and extended as well. It benefits from gobs of headroom to produce more details with less fatigue. The Horus also layers and separates better overall due to its capable top-end - with a greater emphasis on clarity - while the Leonidas tip-toes between musical euphony and strict clarity.

Ahh god damn! Very interested. My apologies if it was already mentioned here, but is there an estimated release date?

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #1,689 of 7,901
It's also $1500! :ksc75smile: Ouch!

Mar 11, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #1,692 of 7,901
IMG_1880.JPG Heard some fuss over this cable, so decided to just give it a go :)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #1,694 of 7,901
Interesting. Didnt expect to find that the 'specially designed' plug was simply a ferrite bead wrapped around a wire inserted into a typical plug. The plug is simply like any other Platinum coated brass plug that you find in an oyaide shop. Of, with the exception of the effect stamp on it. I could be wrong. But this is what I see and unless someone wishes to address my impressions I'll have to go with this. This is a discussion page after all, and this doesnt contravene any rules from what I see.

IMG_2292.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #1,695 of 7,901
Honestly it's one of the worse plugs I've ever tried. I tried their demo cable with the gold Effect branded 2.5mm plug. Insert it into my AK380 copper. Then it got stuck and I'm having alot of trouble removing it. Thank god i managed to pry it off. I think it's 2.6mm lol. From now on, I only demo the cables with reliable high grade plugs like Oyaide and Furutech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back