Effect Audio cables thread
Jun 25, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #2,221 of 7,901
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #2,223 of 7,901
What makes you sure ?

Then, what would be an upgrade over Ares II ?
EA makes only an Ares II, and an Ares II+, which is made of a significantly thicker gauge wire. This thread covers a lot of different EA cables, with numerous opinions about the characteristics that each cable brings to the sound of your iems. The question of upgrade is dependent upon what small improvement or tweak you would like to experience in the sound of your iem, so it's difficult to recommend what would be an upgrade for you personally. Contributors to this thread have covered a lot of the EA cables and described them very well, so reading through this should give you a pretty good idea what you might like. The Ares II is EA's lowest price cable, but it's a great cable to be sending as stock with an EE purchase. IMO

Jun 25, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #2,224 of 7,901
What makes you sure ?

Then, what would be an upgrade over Ares II ?

It says it's an Ares II on the product page...

CBD444BF-9002-4CAC-9C14-DAAEFD575908.png

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #2,225 of 7,901
I took delivery of a bespoke Ares II 8 wire with PSQUARE plug yesterday (being unable to resist the temptation from all the reviews that have popped up lately) and will lend my impressions after having more time to grow acquainted with it properly. My initial thoughts are extremely positive, ergonomics are surprisingly good and sonically it lives up to the hype no question. Such is the nature of the hobby I'm now dangerously contemplating how much different or better the Thor II 8 wire must be.....its funny how spending US$800 on an earphone cable would've seemed crazy once.

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #2,227 of 7,901
Well, the beasts arrived today. A Thor Silver II 8-wire bespoke cable with 2.5mm PSquared termination and a Thor Silver II 8-wire pigtail 2.5mm to 4.4mm Pentaconn adapter. They are truly breathtaking with my Legend X and DX200, transports you to another world :)

Thor.jpg

*that's a reinforcement on the end of the 4.4mm adapter to work with the DX200 AMP4 module

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,228 of 7,901
Well, the beasts arrived today. A Thor Silver II 8-wire bespoke cable with 2.5mm PSquared termination and a Thor Silver II 8-wire pigtail 2.5mm to 4.4mm Pentaconn adapter. They are truly breathtaking with my Legend X and DX200, transports you to another world :)

*that's a reinforcement on the end of the 4.4mm adapter to work with the DX200 AMP4 module

Where did you get the reinforcement? I’m having issues with my 4.4mm pentaconn and DX200 amp4. I have to move it around or I would only get sound in the right ear

Jun 26, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #2,229 of 7,901
Jun 26, 2018 at 3:48 AM Post #2,230 of 7,901

Wow, congrats with that! Let us know how you like it.

I have myself just put in an order of the same exact cable but with 4.4mm termination, really looking forward to it!

Jun 26, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #2,232 of 7,901
The other guy was suggesting the 8 braid ares ii
I asked EA about price for Ares II 8 braid.
But I continued reading reviews ( on devil's invitation...), and now I'm also wondering how the Lionheart or even the Leonidas would pair with the Zeus XRA...
They all have wunderful reviews...
Worth the big extra money, above my price range? Would I loose warmth and musicality as it's not - as recommended with Zeus - copper ?
Another cable to recommend (over 300 USD and maybe over 500 usd, as my poor soul is lost...) ?

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #2,233 of 7,901
I asked EA about price for Ares II 8 braid.
But I continued reading reviews ( on devil's invitation...), and now I'm also wondering how the Lionheart or even the Leonidas would pair with the Zeus XRA...
They all have wunderful reviews...
Worth the big extra money, above my price range? Would I loose warmth and musicality as it's not - as recommended with Zeus - copper ?
Another cable to recommend (over 300 USD and maybe over 500 usd, as my poor soul is lost...) ?
If it were me, I would stay within my budget range. For starters, the Ares II is a great cable and matches very well with more neutral iems particularly. Secondly, one issue we mostly all deal with is the fact that there will always be a more expensive alternative than what we are currently using, and we have to wrestle with the question of how much better it is than what we have. IMO, with cables the law of diminishing returns is pretty prevalent, and improved sq comes in small degrees (compared to other components in your chain). That's why I really try to stay within my mental budget rather than experience buyers remorse after spending way more than I wanted to. That's just me and my two cents!

ps - another great alternative is to be patient and follow the classifieds for great cables at discounted prices.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #2,235 of 7,901
Leonidas sold. I’ll use my Ares II w my KX for now. Janus D up next? Thoughts/recommendations?

As soon as my 1a returns, I can give you some insight, however it's still in Singapore :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back