Effect Audio cables thread
Jun 13, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #2,146 of 7,908
What I would like to see from EA is a better 4.4mm connector, I feel that the one they use now is alright but it doesn't feel high quality. And the plastic piece screws off too easily, shame for these otherwise beautiful cables...

It's an EA/Pentacon collaboration as far as the 4.4 connector is concerned, you shouldn't have to worry about the quality of it :)

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #2,150 of 7,908
No need to apologise :)

I would like to know if I order a new cable with 4.4mm, will I get the new connector? @EffectAudio

If you contact Eric, I'm sure he'll be more than willing to accommodate your request.

Jun 13, 2018 at 5:33 AM Post #2,151 of 7,908
Guys!

Apologies for my long absence at Head-Fi. It's been a terrible timing with the work piling up from my absence in Munich High End Show as well as the Army obligations right after. It's unfortunate that i was ill for some time after that too.

I've been catching up to you guys over emails constantly and i finally have myself abit of time back to Head-Fi. I've got tonnes of updates for you guys that i will post over the next few days, Meanwhile let me address the gazillion of questions i've been missing :frowning2:

This is getting quite absurd. I sent a cable back to EA for repair under warranty and shipping took around 8 business days. But when they sent it back, it's been over 5 weeks and I still haven't received it yet.

Hello Calvin,

Thank you for reaching out to me personally over the email. Please understand that all repairs under warranty are shipped back via Singapore post unless specifically specified for upgrade. Meanwhile, yes i do agree that we've been having our troubles with SingPost over the past years and it's so exasperating!! It takes them 60 days to launch and conclude a investigation and there's literally no accountability as well. "Canada" , "Brazil" , "Australia" are hotspots for losing parcels, or in some cases - massive delays. While their tracker only tracks to the point when the parcel is handed over to the local postal service provider, we weren't given any information beyond that. I seek your kind understanding over this as we quite literally have no control over it. Albeit it not being a fault of ours, i feel that the service provided by Singpost and your local postal provider being too ridiculous. I have since authorised another set for you on our cost. My administrative will get to you on this :)

Same thing happened to me back in february. Never received it and usps said they never had it. After about 2 months eric sent me out a new one through dhl. Im always going to pay extra for expidited shipping now from dhl.

Thank you for your kind understanding buddy. Trust me, i know how ridiculous it gets :D

Tbh, the army food isn't really all hat bad in sg. But the bugs (insects and germs) are real nasty tho

Wait till you enlist into the army buddy. We'll see :)

how long does it usually take to ship cables after order ?

It depends on a case-to-case basis. Usually its 3-5 days unless its a unexpected situation like #janus =/

My review of the Ares II 8-wire is up! And because EA and EE and such close friends, I will add a link to my Phantom review here as well (spoiler alert: awesome pairing!).

Wonderfully written buddy! Thank you for an excellent and informative review! Will be catching you up on emails and possibly London?

I don't suppose any of you guys would want to part with a Lionheart would you? I'm on the hunt for one but they're just so popular they never come up for sale:frowning2:

We'll be having a demo units sale that comes with warranty soon! Wait for it! :)

Ok. Finally, I received my Janus D with both 3.5 SE and 4.4 balanced adaptors.

So I did a very quick A/B test between Janus D and Horus using U18t. I would say the sound stage is pretty much the same. When it comes to detail retrieval Horus wins, but Janus is more airy and smooth. Now the striking difference is the dynamics. For some reason, Janus D sounds literally dynamic. By carefully listening to frequency responses, Janus D is pretty similar to Horus. No emphasis or recess in any area. But interestingly, music sounds more dynamic and lively with Janus D in all frequency. I'm quite surprised as I did not expect this much of difference in dynamics. Definitely, it is more fun to listen through Janus. After 10 minutes of Janus playing, Horus started sound analytical and slightly dull to my ears.
Obviously, this is based on my first hour with Janus. So please take my observation as a grain of salt. But I'm quite happy with the pairing of Janus D with U18t. I will test the same on Fourte next week.
As always, YMMV.

Amazing photos. Thanks buddy!

My Janus D order arrived today as well (would have gotten it on Monday if it wasn't a public holiday in Australia).

Note: The Janus does *not* come with a carry case/pouch unlike the Horus, Leonidas or Lionheart. I don't mind since I prefer to use my own anyways.

Initial impressions (~1hr as well) paired with the Legend X universal + WM1Z + Spiral Dot tips compared with Leonidas cable, using 3.5SE adapter:
* Cable is twice as thick as the Horus but just as flexible and doesn't feel too heavy
* Comfortable to wear on ear, doesn't feel like going to tug the Legend X out of my ear
* Balanced sound, similar to Leonidas
* Slightly more mid-bass, less sub-bass? Need to do A/B vs Leonidas to compare
* Better clarity on guitar / vocals / strings / cymbals than Leonidas, maybe slightly better timbre as well.

Basically it sounds like an enhanced version of Leonidas to me. Great pairing with the Legend X overall. Keen to try it on my Phantoms next and see which pairs better with the Janus D.

Oh, the order came with a free EA t-shirt as well. Unfortunately it's too big for me to wear so I'm reaching out to Eric to see if I can swap it for a smaller size.

Looking forward to your further impressions and thanks for helping out in this thread when im not around! :D

Since Effect doesn't seem in a particular rush to send me one, had to take matters in my own hands hehe.

Rick's shop (Hifisolutions.nl) is awesome ain't it? Look forward to visiting you guys in July! Awaiting your impressions bro!

Thanks Pinky! I've not been this engaged in a long long while. Loved the mini shootout between "Leonidas" and the 'Bespoke' Thor Silver II 8 wires!

[defiant voice] :innocent: No it won't! :innocent:
:innocent: I am perfectly happy with the Ares II 8-wire! :innocent:
:innocent: No need to look at Leonidas or Janus. :innocent:
:innocent: Avert thine eyes! :innocent:

:imp: Come on Nic, spill da beans! :imp:

The eternal struggle of every audiophile. :D Looking forward to reading the impressions!

It's great isnt it? Wait till you get a shot at the Eros II 8w *evil smirk*

how much does it cost to reterminate a câble at EE?

Please send us a mail for a detailed quote :)

No need to apologise :)

I would like to know if I order a new cable with 4.4mm, will I get the new connector? @EffectAudio

For all Non-PSquared 4.4mm it'll be the black Effect Audio ones. For new orders with PSquared, it'll be the Pentaconn connector with our new CarbonFibre connector like the Janus!

I hoped i didnt miss out anybody :) Let me know if it do!

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:45 AM Post #2,152 of 7,908
Guys!

Apologies for my long absence at Head-Fi. It's been a terrible timing with the work piling up from my absence in Munich High End Show as well as the Army obligations right after. It's unfortunate that i was ill for some time after that too.

I've been catching up to you guys over emails constantly and i finally have myself abit of time back to Head-Fi. I've got tonnes of updates for you guys that i will post over the next few days, Meanwhile let me address the gazillion of questions i've been missing :frowning2:

Hello Calvin,

Thank you for reaching out to me personally over the email. Please understand that all repairs under warranty are shipped back via Singapore post unless specifically specified for upgrade. Meanwhile, yes i do agree that we've been having our troubles with SingPost over the past years and it's so exasperating!! It takes them 60 days to launch and conclude a investigation and there's literally no accountability as well. "Canada" , "Brazil" , "Australia" are hotspots for losing parcels, or in some cases - massive delays. While their tracker only tracks to the point when the parcel is handed over to the local postal service provider, we weren't given any information beyond that. I seek your kind understanding over this as we quite literally have no control over it. Albeit it not being a fault of ours, i feel that the service provided by Singpost and your local postal provider being too ridiculous. I have since authorised another set for you on our cost. My administrative will get to you on this :)

Thank you for your kind understanding buddy. Trust me, i know how ridiculous it gets :D

It depends on a case-to-case basis. Usually its 3-5 days unless its a unexpected situation like #janus =/

Wonderfully written buddy! Thank you for an excellent and informative review! Will be catching you up on emails and possibly London?

We'll be having a demo units sale that comes with warranty soon! Wait for it! :)

Looking forward to your further impressions and thanks for helping out in this thread when im not around! :D

Rick's shop (Hifisolutions.nl) is awesome ain't it? Look forward to visiting you guys in July! Awaiting your impressions bro!

Thanks Pinky! I've not been this engaged in a long long while. Loved the mini shootout between "Leonidas" and the 'Bespoke' Thor Silver II 8 wires!

For all Non-PSquared 4.4mm it'll be the black Effect Audio ones. For new orders with PSquared, it'll be the Pentaconn connector with our new CarbonFibre connector like the Janus!

Awesome job at catching up! :D

I am contemplating traveling to London for can jam for a weekend, maybe I'll order a cable to be ready for the show... I'll email you if that is the case :wink:

Jun 13, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #2,153 of 7,908
Guys!

Heyy Eric, great to see you around again! Looking forward to the updates!
Thanks, it was a lot of fun to work on and really interesting to see what doubling up the wires would do. We'll catch up when you have a moment and I will definitely try to be around at Canjam!
Oh, Eros II 8w is one I really want to try as well because I loved the 4w version. Will you be taking various bespoke cables along to Canjam London?

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #2,154 of 7,908
Did a quick 15 min A/B test with my universal Phantom + WM1Z + Spiral dots + Horus vs Janus D this evening (both on 3.5 SE adapters).

Maybe it's the music genre I listened to (pop), but I didn't notice much difference between the Horus + Phantom and the Janus D + Phantom - both sounded great. There seemed to be no / less background hiss when using the Janus D with the Phantom however.

I'd love to know how the Janus B goes with the Phantom.

Note: the pins on the Janus D took a bit more force to insert into the Phantom compared to the Horus. Got a bit worried that I might accidentally bend the pins...

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #2,155 of 7,908
Wait so there’s standalone psquared pentaconn available? Might need to upgrade my adapter then

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #2,156 of 7,908
Well, technically speaking, only the Mars and Horus are gold-plated silver. The Leonidas is a gold-silver hybrid. The Horus is a successor to the Mars with EA's multi-size-strand technology (where the strands within each wire are different sizes) among other improvements. Based on my experience, the Mars is actually more similar to the Leo than it is to the Horus. Both have a rather full-bodied sound with a rumbly bass response, rich lower midrange, sparkly upper midrange, and smooth treble. However, where the Mars differs from the Leo is in the upper registers. The Mars carries more energy and extends further in the treble, where it is noticeably more transparent than the Leo. The Horus on the other hand, is technically far superior to either cable and carries a sound signature that's closer to neutral than it is to natural. The Horus has an accentuated bass response with gorgeous physicality and texture, with layering, depth and rumble that neither of its brethren can touch. Its midrange is leaner and more crisp, providing superior clarity and transparency at the cost of pure naturalness; it relies on the IEM having a natural midrange to compensate for this. The Horus's treble is insanely resolving, unrivalled in extension, yet smooth as a baby's bottom as well. As I said in my Horus impressions, its treble reminds me of the A18's treble, where it's extremely airy, clean, clear, crisp and extended, yet never harsh, unpleasant or strident.

@Deezel177 i was browsing for cables and the Double Helix Cables cable maker says this in his website - is this true and if so , should we be worried of gold within our cables ?

Did you know that alloys are actually less conductive than pure metals? Double Helix Cables create durable, practical cables that distinctly transmit sound -- and they don’t include gold. It’s scientifically proven that using a pure metal, like our OCC litz wire, will result in better conductivity.

speaking of DHC , have you tried any of their cables ? @flinkenick any impressions ?

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,157 of 7,908
@Deezel177 i was browsing for cables and the Double Helix Cables cable maker says this in his website - is this true and if so , should we be worried of gold within our cables ?

Did you know that alloys are actually less conductive than pure metals? Double Helix Cables create durable, practical cables that distinctly transmit sound -- and they don’t include gold. It’s scientifically proven that using a pure metal, like our OCC litz wire, will result in better conductivity.

speaking of DHC , have you tried any of their cables ? @flinkenick any impressions ?

That's always been the case. Everyone knew that. The rule remains the same. How do you wish to change your monitor? Sometimes you WANT less conductivity for a warmer sound. That's all gold does.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #2,158 of 7,908

DHC uses this as a metric for sound quality because they believe highest conductivity yields the best sound. Although that may make theoretical sense, gold as a material has been known to introduce several unique sonic traits - many of which are positive. So, I wouldn’t immediately shut down gold as a conductor because there are other factors than conductivity that define a cable’s sound; especially in terms of signature. Although there are indeed companies out there selling pricey, gold-infused products without the performance to make up for it, you’d be missing out on a whole host of legitimately excellent products if you cut gold entirely out of your diet. :wink:

DHC make excellent cables. I’ve mentioned several times that their Symbiote SP v3 is one of my favourite IEM cables ever; particularly excellent at portraying gorgeous air, excellent extension and a natural sense of dynamics (its stage isn’t the largest, though). @PinkyPowers will also be reviewing their Copper Elite cable (or at least I think that’s what it’s called), so be on the look-out for that.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #2,159 of 7,908
Guys!

Hello Calvin,

Eros II 8-wire? Wow!!!

I love my Eros II, and it is one of my go to recommendations when people are looking for a detailed and open sounding upgrade cable. I wonder what Eros II 8-wire would be like with my incoming 64 Audio A6t :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back