Educate me pls :) ha
Feb 17, 2015 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Blaalad12

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. Looking to be educated here haha I Have an Aune t1 which i wanted to hook ip to my tv but my tv only had an optical output and headphone out and the aune t1 only has rca inputs! If it wasn't for this site i would have just bought a headphone to rca cable - connected it to my amp and if i got sound i would of thought.... job done! But thats not what i did. I did some research and was told i needed a Digital to Analogue converter (which i have just ordered along with a toslink cable) Needless to say this has cost me alot more money then a headphone to rca cable would have yet both methods would have worked right? 

So what is the difference? As you can tell iam pretty clueless but i would like to understand why one method is better then another as oppose to just presuming its better but not knowing why! 

Ultimately both methods involve the signal being fed to the amp via rca , The difference being that its being output via optical rather then the headphone jack.

Can someone explain the reasoning for one method over the other please ha 

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 10
Looking this up and cannot find any explanation at all ha I just hope i didn't blow 60 bucks for nothing if a cheap headphone jack to rca cable would have been just as good :frowning2: 

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 10
  Looking this up and cannot find any explanation at all ha I just hope i didn't blow 60 bucks for nothing if a cheap headphone jack to rca cable would have been just as good :frowning2: 

Try it both ways. Then you can decide if you made a wise investment.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5 of 10
  Try it both ways. Then you can decide if you made a wise investment.

I already ordered a fiio d03k and an optical cable so not much point in buying a headphone to rca cable now . Iam just curious as to why going this route is better when i could of done things alot cheaper ....... should have tried a headphone to rca first before buying the fiio d03k but oh well! 

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 10
  I already ordered a fiio d03k and an optical cable so not much point in buying a headphone to rca cable now . Iam just curious as to why going this route is better when i could of done things alot cheaper ....... should have tried a headphone to rca first before buying the fiio d03k but oh well! 

You can always use your new Fiio and it's USB connection to listen to music from your computer. That might be an improvement.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Plus....couldnt i have used something like this? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Scart-to-RCA-Adapter-switchable-phono-converter-/251393040621?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a883160ed

What iam trying to get at, is why is a digital to analog converter recommended when they're is other options?

The tv had a hdmi arc output also and there is hdmi to rca cables but nobody recommended that! Just trying to understand why i was better off going with a digital to analog converter 

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 10
  Plus....couldnt i have used something like this? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Scart-to-RCA-Adapter-switchable-phono-converter-/251393040621?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a883160ed

What iam trying to get at, is why is a digital to analog converter recommended when they're is other options?

The DAC takes an unadulterated digital signal and converts it to an audio signal which you then feed directly into your amplifier. In many cases this provides better SQ than that provided by the audio circuits of your PC or TV.

That is why I said you could try it both ways and come to your own conclusion.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #10 of 10
  The DAC takes an unadulterated digital signal and converts it to an audio signal which you then feed directly into your amplifier. In many cases this provides better SQ then that provided by the audio circuits of your PC or TV.

That is why I said you could try it both ways and come to your own conclusion.

So if i was to go headphone jack to rca i would likely not get as good a sound quality? or hdmi to rca for that matter!

Basically by using a dac it ensures i get the best quality???

I thought there was more to it then that ha 

Oh well hopefully it was worth the 60 bucks buying the dac and cable ha 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back