Edition 9 amp synergy - Which amps suit best?
Jul 26, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #16 of 32
Thanks for the feedback guys
smily_headphones1.gif
HeadphoneAddict mentioned that he found the WA6 a little too dark and bassy with the Edition 9 - have any of you noticed the same thing? Is this upgrades/tubes dependant?

And on the flip side of the coin, is anyone driving theirs with naught more than a decent portable, like a Pico, Predator or iQube? People have remarked that the Ed9 is fairly forgiving and easy to drive, so I wonder if i'll see much improvement over my Pico moving to a desktop amp.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback guys
smily_headphones1.gif
HeadphoneAddict mentioned that he found the WA6 a little too dark and bassy with the Edition 9 - have any of you noticed the same thing? Is this upgrades/tubes dependant?

Very resolute here, and the bass is tight as a nut. I am running a tube source as well. Sort of craps all over the "they don't go well with tubes" theory...don't it?
biggrin.gif

The ED9's completely embarrass my 701's, and I prefer them over my Denon's as well.

If you are at all familiar with a well setup home system, these will go a long way towards giving you what something like that will give you.

It tells you when the recording is world-class, as well as when it is horribly done, and everything in between. That's all I want in a system.

YMMV

Jul 27, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #18 of 32
Dark with the 6 and dual supply? not here. Excellent in my head of tunes.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rudistor amps and Ultrasone have special synergy.
In your price range that would mean the NX-03.

x2.

If the new NX-03 sounds anything like my NX-02, it is wonderful with the Prolines.

Jul 29, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #20 of 32
At the recent bozebuttons minimeet, I was shocked to find the xiang-sheng 708B to have excelent synergy with the ED9. The amp is tweaked, and is essentially an earmax with a 2c51 gaintube. It just drew me into the music. the fact that the CD player was worth more than the headphones and amp combined probably didnt hurt.

I tried the ED-9 on the rudistor 5.1 and didnt think much of it, after being warned that they didnt make much of a pair. different source, but about as nice as the other one.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #21 of 32
As far as tubes go, the Yammy is excellent. Everything sounds right to me, not dark at all. Sucks you right in. Very real/natural sounding. Kick drum sound incredibly realistic. My listening hours have doubled and i can't seem to want to go to bed at night. I also find my feet tapping and arms moving without realizing it. Can be a real workout sometimes.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the recent bozebuttons minimeet, I was shocked to find the xiang-sheng 708B to have excelent synergy with the ED9. The amp is tweaked, and is essentially an earmax with a 2c51 gaintube. It just drew me into the music.

That is interesting. I've been getting conflicting oppinions about the Ed9 - some say it synergises very well with clean, dynamic, high-current SS amps, and some fall in love with them with tubes.

Makes me wonder how they would fare with something like the Earmax Silver.

Jul 29, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #23 of 32
I own the Edition 9s, that can go balanced or SE. I had the SP Extreme Platinum as well as the NX-33. Both did very well with the Edition 9s. Given this, I would think that the less expensive Extreme would do well with the Edition 9s and is probably within the price range you mention--certainly used is in that range.

If you can find one, the NX-33 used is also a good match, but makes the most sense if you balance the Edition 9s, otherwise you are wasting a lot of amp. (I like the balanced Edition 9s a lot.)

Now I have the balanced RPX-100, and while it is even better than anyy of the above, it is out of the price range you mention.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #24 of 32
Would seem so. I have the HD650's and have heard other headphones and frankly the talk about the bass and mids is off base or is that bass, at least for me and I don't like bass heavy music at all. Well to each her or his own.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would seem so. I have the HD650's and have heard other headphones and frankly the talk about the bass and mids is off base or is that bass, at least for me and I don't like bass heavy music at all. Well to each her or his own.

The talk about overblown bass actually sounded like a good omen to me. Stock D2000 through my Pico playing Metallica was an experience to remember
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #26 of 32
There is something that I think is at play in listening to music and especially A/Bing between headphones. In chord theory it is not so much the absolute frequency of the note that is important (one instance of this is the "migration" from what it once was of the absolute frequency or something like "concert" A or middle C), but it is the relationship or "distance" between notes--a 2nd or 3rd, or 5th etc. that becomes musically pleasing/displeasing. So there is the reference of where we're coming from as a sound that I think the next sound gets compared to. (This is my own pet theory, but it is based upon my experience. And somewhere in Head-fi I once saw a much better explaination of this phenomena.)

As a real world example, I listen to both the balanced Edition 9s and the Senn 650. If I quickly go from the 650s (no slouch in terms of bass) to the Edition 9s, for a little bit of time the 9s will sound off--often too much bass and sometimes too bright. Likewise if I go from listening to the Edition 9 to the 650s, then the 650s seem very muddy and the symptoms of the classic Sennheiser veil are heard. But on their own, I can enjoy each headphone very much, although generally my preference is with the Edition 9s. But as I continue listening to either hp for just a few minutes this sensation of the new one being "off" quickly abates.

Occasionally I've watched some folks put on my Edition 9s for 30 second to a minute and quickly dismiss them (I think usually not liking the bass). I don't think that this is limited to the Edition 9s or to the 650s (they've certainly had their detractors) for that matter. But it may (pure speculation on my part) show up more with the Edition 9s because few headphones, if any, reveal as much high frequency information while at the same time go as low and as full with the bass. So the Edition 9s can sound very different from two different directions so to speak.

While I don't think it accounts for everything, I believe there is some truth to the idea of "brain burn in." I suspect that this happens with all headphones and even playback sources like vinyl vs digital. So if something is really different than the signature sound someone is used to, the new sound signature can sound "off" in some way. (That's probably why most Grados except the PS-1 sound uniformly harsh to me.)

Sometimes but not always I get a sort of reverse of this on going from vinyl to digital, especially SACDs. At first the SACDs can sound cleaner and even more pleasing than the vinyl (which I generally prefer). But after listening for awhile I become progressively dissatisfied with the digital, eventually finding them colder, more sterile and artificial sounding and too "sharp."

Personally I think that there is a lot to hearing that is not fully understood. And I suspect it comes into play in a lot more than is realized in the gear comparisons we do.

And then there are the individual sound preferences....

PS. And then there are the genres of music that makes a difference. I love the Edition 9s for rock, generally don't like them as much for orchestra on vinyl (this is sometimes where I experience them as having too much bass), and love them again for female vocalists where the greater bass response translates into greater fullness and richness of the female voice.

Jul 31, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Still researching options for my upcoming Ed9 purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking into desktop amps suited specifically to the Ultrasone Edition 9. Criteria is:

*zero background noise/power supply hiss. Black background is a must

Here is where you might run into a little trouble with the Edition 9s. They are so resolving that they will reveal equipment noise floor (both the source as well as the amp NF) that may not be heard on other headphones.

Actually I think of this as the good news because it means that the Edition 9s are giving you more of what is on your source recording, but that also has to include whatever noise is in the signal chain.

One of my tests I run on amps/sources is the listen for the noise floor at normal listening levels, and then again with the amp turned up to maximum (but no software playing). I’ve done this any number of times with the Edition 9 and compared it with the Senn 650. Often a background that seem totally silent with the Senns, have noticeable NF with the Edition 9s. And this also means hearing more noise floor at normal listening levels. But personally, I've never had this wreck my enjoyment of the Edition 9s.

And for more good news/bad news, besides NF, the Edition 9s can reveal flaws in the recording process that are not noticeable with other cans. I have a couple of copies of Miles Davis Kind of Blue (a truly legendary recording) in CD and SACD. Either my copies were recorded too hot originally and clipped, or they were mastered to hot and clipped. Whatever the case, I very clearly hear the clipping with the Edition 9s. But when I listen with my Senn 600 or 650 the clipping is barely noticeable and then only because I know when/where to look due to the Edition 9 listening. Since getting the Edition 9s I've been amazed at how crappy some of the recording/mastering can be on some major commercial releases.

All that said, I strongly suspect that if you like the US 750, then you'll likely love the Edition 9s. Just don't be surprised when some unwanted "information" shows up.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

is anyone driving theirs with naught more than a decent portable, like a Pico, Predator or iQube?

The Predator is a terrific amp for the Edition 9, the synergy is awesome and the bass is very tight.

Aug 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 32
Yep, they work great with the Predator. The silver white one. :^)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back