Edition 9 amp synergy - Which amps suit best?
Jul 26, 2008 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Still researching options for my upcoming Ed9 purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking into desktop amps suited specifically to the Ultrasone Edition 9. Criteria is:

*price of $1,000 or less
*small footprint
*strong dynamics without sacrificing tone, harmonic richness, and body
*good soundstaging/layering and micro-detail
*zero background noise/power supply hiss. Black background is a must

HeadphoneAddict has been kindly putting up with my pestering for his oppinions on this matter, but I'd like to put the question out there to the rest of the community as well.

Taking the above criteria into account, what do the Edition 9 owners around here suggest to mate best with this headphone? Tubes or solid state doesnt matter, I'm open to either.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 32
Yamamoto HA-02 is great, very addictive. I sold my Talisman amp before i got these phones, but they also sound great out of my ROTEL RA-05 jack, and the Talisman was a better amp than the RA-05 for phones. These phones will sound good from any amp. Save up and spend more than $1000AUS on an amp would be my suggestion.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still researching options for my upcoming Ed9 purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm looking into desktop amps suited specifically to the Ultrasone Edition 9. Criteria is:

*price of $1,000 or less
*small footprint
*strong dynamics without sacrificing tone, harmonic richness, and body
*good soundstaging/layering and micro-detail
*zero background noise/power supply hiss. Black background is a must

HeadphoneAddict has been kindly putting up with my pestering for his oppinions on this matter, but I'd like to put the question out there to the rest of the community as well.

Taking the above criteria into account, what do the Edition 9 owners around here suggest to mate best with this headphone? Tubes or solid state doesnt matter, I'm open to either.

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Rudistor amps and Ultrasone have special synergy.
In your price range that would mean the NX-03.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rudistor amps and Ultrasone have special synergy.
In your price range that would mean the NX-03.

I've heard that mentioned before several times, but havent seen much info on Rudistor amps, or the NX03 specifically to back the claims. Off to do a few forum searches to see if anyone has reviewed the NX03 I go
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

I've heard that mentioned before several times, but havent seen much info on Rudistor amps, or the NX03 specifically to back the claims. Off to do a few forum searches to see if anyone has reviewed the NX03 I go
smily_headphones1.gif

The nx-03 is the (rather recent) successor of the nx-02.
The nx-02 / Ultrasone is reviewed here and here for example.
I have owned the nx-33 (the balanced version) and now own the RPX-100.
I have also owned the PROline 750 and 2500 and now own the Edition 9. I can assure you that this synergy is no fairy tale. It is very real.

Jul 26, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 32
Thank you very much for that information Kees, those reviews do indeed sound promising.

Have you had the chance to compare your NX-33/RPX-100 to other amps for driving your Edition 9?

I also ran across this thread while searching:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ult...gistry-242461/

Might have some useful info in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Thank you very much for that information Kees, those reviews do indeed sound promising.

Have you had the chance to compare your NX-33/RPX-100 to other amps for driving your Edition 9?

I also ran across this thread while searching:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/ult...gistry-242461/

Might have some useful info in there
smily_headphones1.gif

In my experience they don't do well with tubes (Earmax Pro and Stealth). The bass gets in the way and dynamics are less than optimal.
Corda Prehead is very good, but rather clinical. The artificial quality of the Edition 9 is emphasized.
The only other amp that (IMO) gets pretty good results is the MF X-CAN V8. It is a hybrid and delivers enough current to control them properly.
I mainly use my Edition 9 with the X-CAN V8 to watch movies on my PC. I am not a big fan of the Edition 9.....

Jul 26, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by braddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yamamoto HA-02 is great, very addictive.

x2

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #10 of 32
I am getting glorious sounds from my Edition9 when driven by my WA6.

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

In my experience they don't do well with tubes (Earmax Pro and Stealth). The bass gets in the way and dynamics are less than optimal.
Corda Prehead is very good, but rather clinical. The artificial quality of the Edition 9 is emphasized.
The only other amp that (IMO) gets pretty good results is the MF X-CAN V8. It is a hybrid and delivers enough current to control them properly.
I mainly use my Edition 9 with the X-CAN V8 to watch movies on my PC. I am not a big fan of the Edition 9.....

Terribly expensive movie cans .

Jul 26, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 32
I like the comparisons with the iQube for portability and the RS B-52 at home.

Jul 26, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by cAsE sEnSiTiVe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting glorious sounds from my Edition9 when driven by my WA6.

Both the HA-02 and WA6 are great with the UE9, no kidding. Check out the amp registry.

Jul 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 32
Ok I have the Woo 6 with of course the dual power supply and the quality of sound with the Edition 9 is Excellent. The bass is SOLID and the frequency range is excellent. So maybe in general the 9's do better with solid state but with the modified Woo 6, well they are under total control and sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back