EDIT: Never Mind
Nov 12, 2002 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
Alot of curiousity has creeped in on what I am working on lately.(yes blip, I am looking at you
biggrin.gif
)

I am working on two projects:

1. Building a basic Cmoy - my first amp.

Many of my posts revolve around that basic projects - other don't. I thank you for your help.

But I am here today to talk about my other project:

2. Building the best DIY amp the world has ever seen..............and sell them.

Alot of my more bazaar posts revolve around that.

However I am worried about two things:

1. Getting help from you guys - I would love to have you guys help me design this thing - but it would not be ethical because I plan to sell them and could not give you all royalties. DON"T RESPOND TO MY POSTS (except for the basic ones) THEN - UNLESS IF YOU ARE OK WITH ME USING YOUR IDEAS TO HELP ME DESIGN AND SELL AN AMP.

2. Stealing the design - I am worried about giving you guys the nessessary design details to help me through my design corrundrums, because you could then steal my amp design and complete against me.

I seriously doubt any of you would do such a thing - however - so my main concern is #1.

Oh what shall I do - I don't want to screw you guys over because you are all SO SO nice and caring.

confused.gif
?

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 23
I thought of an elegant solution:

How about on my site and with each amp I sell, I list all of your names on a sheet, and I call you my "Design Team"

biggrin.gif

PS: I hope you aren't under the impression that the main reason I am doing this is to generate money, it is not. I am doing this because I like headphone listening, and I want to raise the bar and show the world what is acheivable through headphones.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 23
Tons of people here get and give info. To my limited knowledge no one expects money for helping out! That's why we're here!! Many other people sell their products, META42's, Altoids, Cordas, etc. and use us here to try 'em out, make improvements and suggestions, etc.

I for one am very impressed with the caliber of people who frequent this site. From what I have seen and read there are a few people here that, in a few years after they graduate high school, will be a welcome addition to the audio manufacturing community. I also look forward to buying and using some of their equipment knowing that all who use them will be the true people who benefit!!!!!

I encourage you to go for it!! Make the absolutely best equipement this industry has ever seen!! Someone has to be the next person to take the place of the current designers and implementers to make new, revolutionary productswe will all enjoy!!!

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Nov 12, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
Tons of people here get and give info. To my limited knowledge no one expects money for helping out! That's why we're here!! Many other people sell their products, META42's, Altoids, Cordas, etc. and use us here to try 'em out, make improvements and suggestions, etc.

I for one am very impressed with the caliber of people who frequent this site. From what I have seen and read there are a few people here that, in a few years after they graduate high school, will be a welcome addition to the audio manufacturing community. I also look forward to buying and using some of their equipment knowing that all who use them will be the true people who benefit!!!!!

I encourage you to go for it!! Make the absolutely best equipement this industry has ever seen!! Someone has to be the next person to take the place of the current designers and implementers to make new, revolutionary productswe will all enjoy!!!

Lord Bless,
doug p.

Oh thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You put to rest my fears!

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
I thought of an elegant solution:

How about on my site and with each amp I sell, I list all of your names on a sheet, and I call you my "Design Team"

biggrin.gif

PS: I hope you aren't under the impression that the main reason I am doing this is to generate money, it is not. I am doing this because I like headphone listening, and I want to raise the bar and show the world what is acheivable through headphones.

How about you build and give one amp to each member on your design team for free?

hehehee... Hmmm... But then.. That'd be giving your amp to the people who would buy it... haha....

Nov 12, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 23
I think part of the question is one of the scale of the success of your product. If you sell a few handfulls to some people it is kind of hard to feel like anyone who helps out should have much to complain about. But if it turns into a huge success and your making a substantial amout of money from it, there is a greater likelyhood that some one will demand a piece of the action.

One thing I think would be really cool, is to offer a piece of the profits to Jude to help pay for Head-Fi. I think all the amp builders should be doing this. But I have to tell you, I think it is fantastic that you are concerned about this and are willing to discuss it. There are a few amp builders here that have a huge unpaid debt to this forum, and to certain people here. They seem to have forgotten that.

In my opinion, you are allready one step ahead of them, Czillla.

Nov 12, 2002 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 23
Another option for you if these items are a big success is to offer a discount for those people who contributed to the success and design of the amp with their input. Maybe just keep track of who told you various things, and then PM them at some point in the future to offer them a "thank you" for their help. That way they are blessed with the opportunity to buy something great at a discount, and you get the help you'll need.

My .02 worth!!

Nov 13, 2002 at 12:55 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Budgie
I think part of the question is one of the scale of the success of your product. If you sell a few handfulls to some people it is kind of hard to feel like anyone who helps out should have much to complain about. But if it turns into a huge success and your making a substantial amout of money from it, there is a greater likelyhood that some one will demand a piece of the action.

One thing I think would be really cool, is to offer a piece of the profits to Jude to help pay for Head-Fi. I think all the amp builders should be doing this. But I have to tell you, I think it is fantastic that you are concerned about this and are willing to discuss it. There are a few amp builders here that have a huge unpaid debt to this forum, and to certain people here. They seem to have forgotten that.

In my opinion, you are allready one step ahead of them, Czillla.

I was already planning an placing a Mall-FI ad. That was always a given.

Actually, does anyone know how much sponsorships costs?

Nov 13, 2002 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 23
Sponsorships are Up There, to the degree that it's pretty much unfeasible for a DIYFSE (Do It Yourself For Someone Else)-er to afford one. Mall-Fi ads really are the only option for a DIYFSE-er, and to the best of my knowledge nearly everyone who sells headphone amps and frequents this forum has had one at one time or another.

Budgie: Well, you'd be surprised. DIYFSE isn't a big money business - per-amp profits aren't much (unless it's some monstrously complex job), and I'd pity the person who tried to live off one. As is, I think most, if not all of the DIYFSE-ers are doing it more because they like building amps than because they want cash (though I have to admit that I was an exception, I did it because I both liked building amps and needed a summer job). Now, if you could convince the BUYERS to spend more...
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2002 at 5:58 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Sponsorships are Up There, to the degree that it's pretty much unfeasible for a DIYFSE (Do It Yourself For Someone Else)-er to afford one. Mall-Fi ads really are the only option for a DIYFSE-er, and to the best of my knowledge nearly everyone who sells headphone amps and frequents this forum has had one at one time or another.

Budgie: Well, you'd be surprised. DIYFSE isn't a big money business - per-amp profits aren't much (unless it's some monstrously complex job), and I'd pity the person who tried to live off one. As is, I think most, if not all of the DIYFSE-ers are doing it more because they like building amps than because they want cash (though I have to admit that I was an exception, I did it because I both liked building amps and needed a summer job). Now, if you could convince the BUYERS to spend more...
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

I would agree. This while super-uber-amp of mine is turning out to be HIDIOUSLY expensive to build....but I still doubt I would be able to ask people for much profit.

Nov 13, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

I would agree. This while super-uber-amp of mine is turning out to be HIDEOUSLY expensive to build....but I still doubt I would be able to ask people for much profit.

Why not??? If there's one thing I learned it's this: people will pay for something that is worthwhile. There are people who will spend $4000 on headphones, $20000 on a CDP, $50000 on speakers, etc, etc. If it sounds good for it's price point, sell it for what it is worth!! If this amp costs you a mere $500 to make, but sounds as good as something that costs $5000, why not sell it for $4000, for example. You make enough money to live off what you love to do, and everyone who buys it saves a grand AND gets a better product!! When you are embarassed to ask someone to pay for what it is worth, sent it to someone here to evaluate against some of their amps, and ask them what they think it would cost. If they say it is worth/comparable to thier XYZ amp that cost $XXXX dollars, use that as a reference for pricing it. After a few people say they think the amp would be worth roughly the same value you have your marketing research to give you a better idea on pricing it.

Everyone who is in business sells their products to make enough money to stay in business. That is, IF that is their goal!! If your goal is to build amps and sell them for a small profit margin, go for it. But if you choose to make this a business where you can pay to experiment and play with designing and building stuff, go for it!!! I personally love the work that I do, the fact that I also get a small income from doing it makes it worth every hour spent doing it!!!

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 23
Luckily for me, I am 15 (which is actually kinda unfortunate because everyone thinks you are stupid and only think with a certain sexual organ) so I have alot of time to decide what I want to do.

That brings up another question - would anyone buy anything so expensive from a person so young?

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

That brings up another question - would anyone buy anything so expensive from a person so young?

Age doesn't sway me, good products do!! You don't have to announce your age along with the product!! Let it speak for you and do all your transactions via email!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
That way no one will know anyway.

Paul and Stan, the PS in PS Audio, started out when they were both just dreamy eyes kids in the early 20's and they took the audio world by storm when they started out in 1973!! They might not respect you, but they can't argue with good sound, can they??

Don't let anyone tell you that you're too young, can't do it, are smokin' dope, or whatever. If you have the drive and determination you CAN do it!!! Make the best product you can, blow away ALL the competition, and make sure you prove every scoffer wrong! Age never stopped anyone from achieving their goals! Only YOU can do that if you listen to them.

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 23
That reminds me...are they still the people in charge of PS Audio?

I was thinking of incorperating one of there productsin the amp? Would they mind?

I asked Jan if he would mind if I used a product of his in it and he definently "minded".

Nov 13, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

That reminds me...are they still the people in charge of PS Audio?

I was thinking of incorperating one of there productsin the amp? Would they mind?

I think that they are both together again working on products for PS Audio. Paul left in 1990, then returned in 98.

If you're serious about the second question, NO!!! If you plan to sell this thing you had better make sure you don't violate someone elses copyright or intellectual right!!! The last thing you need is bad press surrounding a lawsuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back