Eddie Current Zana Deux Transformer Appreciation Thread - AKA ZDT
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #62 of 77
..........okay.....why? And to which Decware were you refering? And with which phones did you hear on both of them...assuming you DID?
No really, I wanna know since I'm about to blow 2 grand. Skylab for one has said he wasn't really impressed by the Deux-but had unfortunately only heard it at meets.

-Daniel

Quote:
The decware is not in the same league as the zana.

Jul 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #66 of 77

Quote:
Larry, do you consider it a free upgrade?  As in it doesn't compromise any other part of the spectrum?  I know it's not free on your wallet.  

I find no compromises after the $200 partial silver transformer upgrade.

Jul 15, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #67 of 77
Just put one on order today with the silver transformer upgrade!  Finally got approval for using tubes in my office.  The ZDT will be replacing an Apache and a Mardis 3.0 TAmp which I use to power a pair of desktop Tekton 4.5 speakers.  I also need to get either re-terminated for the 4 pin plug, or get an adapter for 2xXLR to 4pin, or just run the stock HD800 cord.

Also time to sell the Apache, which, while being a great SS balanced amp, is not tubed.

Also time to try and be patient for the next 4-6 weeks.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #68 of 77

Quote:
Just put one on order today with the silver transformer upgrade!  Finally got approval for using tubes in my office.  The ZDT will be replacing an Apache and a Mardis 3.0 TAmp which I use to power a pair of desktop Tekton 4.5 speakers.  I also need to get either re-terminated for the 4 pin plug, or get an adapter for 2xXLR to 4pin, or just run the stock HD800 cord.

Also time to sell the Apache, which, while being a great SS balanced amp, is not tubed.

Also time to try and be patient for the next 4-6 weeks.

4-6 weeks isn't too bad.  I ordered mine in March 2009 and got it around July.

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #69 of 77
Just quoting the web page claim...

Kinda excited though. Can you recommend a balanced cable for the HD800 HeadphoneAddict?

Jul 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #70 of 77

Quote:
Just quoting the web page claim...

Kinda excited though. Can you recommend a balanced cable for the HD800 HeadphoneAddict?

Well, my balanced cable is by a company that is banned now.  I also have a balanced stock cable.  The cable I use currently is a Locus-Design Hyperion, which is not balanced although Lee agreed to convert it to balanced when I'm ready.

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #71 of 77
Thanks.  I currently use a "Twisted Cables" balanced cable made by a HeadFier.  It has a very nice set of XLR plugs, I might just have a go at putting a neutrik 4 pin plug on that cable. Or, more likely just work on a 2 XLR to 4 pin connector adapter during my wait time.  4 connections at each end, and making it pretty should not be too hard.

Jul 18, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #72 of 77
I had a better idea today, and sent Craig an email asking to just use 2x standard XLR sockets, then I don't have to recable, or reterminate anything.

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #73 of 77
Wow !  Really the only word to use.  I have listened to some nice amps, but this ZDT (silver trafos and cap upgrade) outdoes them all for my ears.

Stock tubes ( I have a nice 1960s GE to roll in soon ) sound good.  While I like the neutrality, and accuracy of the Apache, the ZDT has more "weight" and emotion.  Much better extension on both ends.

I have to work up some new speaker cables, and I will try it on the Tekton Design 4.5s that I have on my desktop.

Really superb playing different genres - Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter",  Sleighbells "Treats" and Ingrid Fliter playing Chopin.

I understand the Moth mystique now!  Very recommended.

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #74 of 77

Quote:
Wow !  Really the only word to use.  I have listened to some nice amps, but this ZDT (silver trafos and cap upgrade) outdoes them all for my ears.

Stock tubes ( I have a nice 1960s GE to roll in soon ) sound good.  While I like the neutrality, and accuracy of the Apache, the ZDT has more "weight" and emotion.  Much better extension on both ends.

I have to work up some new speaker cables, and I will try it on the Tekton Design 4.5s that I have on my desktop.

Really superb playing different genres - Jennifer Warnes "The Hunter",  Sleighbells "Treats" and Ingrid Fliter playing Chopin.

I understand the Moth mystique now!  Very recommended.

Glad you like it, I couldn't be happier with mine, especially after the silver trafo upgrade.  It's an excellent match for a wide variety of phones, especially my HD800 where no other amp in the house comes close with those.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #75 of 77
Is this thread still alive? I read through this thread more than once before deciding to actually BUY a ZDT. It showed up today and It already is glorious even when not nearly set up yet - just put together enough to burn it in while I create a permanent home for it where it will enjoy clean power, silver wires in and out and LOTS of fresh air. After setting the old Denon BD player on repeat with some Miles Davis, I had to peek after only about 5 minutes warmup to check on how awful it must sound until it gets a few hundred hours experience, but this thing doesn't need any more burn in
time than it got at EC. Not that improvement from what I hear now won't be appreciated, but as an adult, I think I know when I should stop yelling for more.

So, while just kicking back and listening to some old cd's - to get to know this baby, I started to reread this thread and by the time I got to
mill999red's post on the previous page - the post with the gorgeous pictures of the #14 ZDT dressed up in gold Heavy Feet and real winged "C" power tubes and tube dampers, I looked closely at the pix and lo and behold, that unit has the same goofy balanced output configuration as mine. If you look closely, you will see that the pair of balanced sockets marked Left Out & Right Out are actually 4-pin sockets not a L/R pair of 3-pins. After embarrassing myself with with changing my order for a balanced LCD-2 cable from 4-pin to 3 and now, hopefully before it has been built, back to 4, I am too much in love with the sound from this amp to whinge about it to Craig.

But, curiosity got the better of me and I checked the back of my amp & there it was: Serial # 14! I love a good story. I would love to find out a little more about this unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back