Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Jan 26, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,416 of 2,605
Can anyone recommend an aftermarket power cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #2,417 of 2,605
Just a heads up for those in this thread before I put it up for sale:
Wll be selling my Zana Deux S black with P&G pot + over 30 tubes for 2.5k€. For the tubes check my profile, spares and or different versions of each.
Prefer to keep this in Europe, PM me if you have intrest in the whole package.
Thinking about selling the BW as well for 1.5k€.

Apr 1, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2,419 of 2,605
Selling my WA22 so I can fund an amp purchase.  The Zana Deux S is definitely on top of the list (I am keeping the TS 6su7gty black glass just for this).  Thinking of pairing it with ZMF Eikon headphones.  

I have some questions for the current owners.  When you buy the Zana Deux S, it comes with the umbilical cord and the power supply?

Also what options are available in regards to upgrades? Volume Pot/Caps...?

Cheers 

Apr 1, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #2,420 of 2,605
It comes with everything you need - power supply, umbilical cord, tubes, and amplifier. I think it even comes with a power cord, though I already had one of my own (so I am a little fuzzy on what the cord looks like).

I cannot help you on the upgrades. What I have read makes me think you must definitely consult with Eddie Current. That is, if you do not understand exactly what you are getting by changing features, like the Pot, you probably should order the default unit. That makes me think the "upgrades" are more of alterations than upgrades. Definitely talk to Eddie Current!

May 10, 2017 at 6:21 AM Post #2,424 of 2,605
Does anyone have any experience pairing the ZDS with efficient planars like the LCD-X? I'm basically a "dynamic" guy, but I get an itch every once in a while, that I want this Audeze (or something similar) to scratch. Any impressions would be appreciated...

May 10, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #2,425 of 2,605
Does anyone have any experience pairing the ZDS with efficient planars like the LCD-X? I'm basically a "dynamic" guy, but I get an itch every once in a while, that I want this Audeze (or something similar) to scratch. Any impressions would be appreciated...

Hmm...this question seems familiar. I've limited experience, which is why I did not answer on that other forum...did not wish to pollute.

I'll start by saying, I love this amplifier! Thus I may not provide the most sage of advice. That, and I've only recently acquired the LCD-X, the 2016 upgrade. And the LCD-X is mostly for a friend who was stuck on an HD600 (despite my ownership of other high end headphones for her to try, including HD800S and Utopia). I'll also add that I do not listen to anything particularly loud.

I think it sounds phenomenal! It has, for me, just the right amount of detail and articulation, with enough depth and power, to my ears, to keep the LCD-X experience on course. The LCD-X upgrade is just the slightest bit bright, particularly compared with the original 2013 version. So I also enjoy the small bloom cast by the tubes.

I did compare with DNA Stratus and MicroZOTL2 w/power supply upgraded to Illuminati (nice to have friends with toys). These amplifiers certainly each offer a good alternative option, and I think in both directions. The Stratus offers a more, to my ears, reserved sound, while still having just as much (did not A/B using same source) detail. The MicroZOTL2 has the slightly more aggressive sound, impacting perhaps a little more. While still not strident, I think it offers a little more pulse for rock music, or perhaps slightly more heft for bass notes. I left the meet though, happy with my ZDS.

May 13, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #2,426 of 2,605
What's a realistic and fair price for a lightly used Zana Deux SE?

It was affected by the known issue with crimped cables that turn unreliable over time. This defect has been repaired.

It's in great shape. Almost perfect cosmetically, and it performs wonderfully - as expected.

May 14, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #2,427 of 2,605
What's a realistic and fair price for a lightly used Zana Deux SE?

It was affected by the known issue with crimped cables that turn unreliable over time. This defect has been repaired.

It's in great shape. Almost perfect cosmetically, and it performs wonderfully - as expected.

A ZDSE cost about $2300 when it was around. Back then, it would've been a good deal at around $1700-1800. However, while the current ZDS costs $2450, it sounds significantly better than the ZDSE that the ZDSE has lost its value in relative terms (I owned both ZDSE and ZDS, and there are many others who have heard both and acknowledge this). At this point, I would say that $1400-1500 is the reasonable price for a lightly used ZDSE in good condition.

May 16, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,428 of 2,605
A ZDSE cost about $2300 when it was around. Back then, it would've been a good deal at around $1700-1800. However, while the current ZDS costs $2450, it sounds significantly better than the ZDSE that the ZDSE has lost its value in relative terms (I owned both ZDSE and ZDS, and there are many others who have heard both and acknowledge this). At this point, I would say that $1400-1500 is the reasonable price for a lightly used ZDSE in good condition.
Sounds fair. My gut feeling was $1500-ish, and I've now put it up in the classifieds for €1250 inc. shipping.

They're pricier this side of the pond, with VAT and all. But I'm hoping that €1250 is low enough to be interesting even if the buyer ends up paying a second round of VAT. (Since I'm shipping from a non-eu member country... double taxation. :|)

May 17, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #2,429 of 2,605
Greetings everyone! I find that my HD800's do not easily "hook up" with my modified Zana (#4), have only found a Tong-sol black plate, black glass that seemed to work well, but is failing now. So, I'm writing to ask if anyone can advise me on an ideal driver tube for this combination. Songmic recommended an RCA 5691 red base, am wondering if anyone has experienced this combination and/or if you might have any other suggestions, recommendations!

Thanks,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back