Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Nov 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,328 of 2,605
No the HD 6xx is just a colour change. Same build as hd650. Would ortho dynamic headphones such as the LCD 2 be a better match than the HD650?

The lcd2 was the Audeze I liked least, so no for me.

But the Zana is great with anything you throw at it, no real need to look for matches if you ask me.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #2,329 of 2,605
You should really state your preferences instead of soliciting advice about what is "better".  I think I would probably prefer the HD600 to the HD650 on my ZDS, but I'd prefer the HD650 to the HD600 on my Torpedo 3.  I like a touch of warmth, but not too much.  

Also, Gungnir Multibit is not sharp nor bright as previously mentioned.

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,330 of 2,605
Can the ZDS drive the LCD-2? Yes. Is it going to be an ideal pairing like with a high-current SS or hybrid amp (say Mjolnir 2)? No.

There is zero question about the synergy between the HD6xx variants and the ZDS, so it should not be asked. And if you already knew it was almost universally endorsed, why did you ask? As Bazelio pointed out, much of this depends on taste. I prefer a well driven HDxx to a well-driven LCD-2. YMMV.

This amp thrives with dynamic headphones. There are more suitable options for orthos.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #2,332 of 2,605
Between your Torpedo and Zana, which one do you like better?

The ZDS.  But that's not to say I don't like the T3.  I like it a lot.  It's an excellent amp that does so much right and has such a high bang for the buck.  The ZDS is just preferable in certain ways to me.

And, +1 to sticking with dynamic headphones here.

Nov 9, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #2,334 of 2,605
I knew it. Amps with more tubes usually sound better. It's 5 vs 2 for this case.

Also, amps with bigger tubes sound better too 
wink_face.gif

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #2,338 of 2,605
Hi,

I just wanted people impressions of the headphones with the ZDS. I am currently torn between HD650 with a toxic silver widow cable or a HD800. Both with the ZDS running a Schiit Gumby and Wyred 4 sound recovery.

Can anybody offer their impressions of the these particular headphones. I would obviously like the most open sound but not at the expense of a natural sound i.e good midrange and bass presence.

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #2,339 of 2,605
  Hi,

I just wanted people impressions of the headphones with the ZDS. I am currently torn between HD650 with a toxic silver widow cable or a HD800. Both with the ZDS running a Schiit Gumby and Wyred 4 sound recovery.

Can anybody offer their impressions of the these particular headphones. I would obviously like the most open sound but not at the expense of a natural sound i.e good midrange and bass presence.

The HD800 is bright and lean.  I prefer the HD650 with a ZDS given a neutral 6SL7 tube pairing.  The RCA red base would probably be a good choice for my preferences.  The HD800 wins in soundstage and detail resolution, but I simply do not like its tonality and that's a killer for me.  Properly modded, and with a warmer tube, the HD800 is tolerable but I personally can't live with a lean headphone no matter what other positive traits it might have.  And I've heard a few improperly modded HD800s that sounded like s.h.i.t., too.  It seems easy to overdampen and create a muffled/wooly low end.  The HD650 should be modded as well, but it seems easier to mod (?) as I've yet to hear one sound super s.h.i.t.t.y.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #2,340 of 2,605
Thank you, I managed to read through a few posts and they said exactly what you have said.

I think you have helped my decision to go for the HD650. I will add a toxic silver widow to smoothed out any harshness and hopefully add some excitement if I find it a little laid back. I doubt I will mod as I'm terrible at such things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back