Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
Sep 1, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #2,266 of 2,605
I appreciate the honest feedback. Let you know when I get mine!

By the way, I just took a look at your profile. You're not still stuck with the stock driver tube are you? Any tube will be better than that one.
Ever thought of replacing the HDVD800 with a Black Widow? I think you'd be pretty amazed, the BW is a SS amp that can breathe some life into your music where the HDVD is pretty dull to my ears. And it's a better match for both your Senns than the Senn amp is.
Otherwise, very very nice setup and selection of cans if you ask me!

Oh and Roon. What do you think of it and how do you use it?
I downloaded a trail over a year ago and couldn't find my way.
I' guess I'm too old and stubborn and have a hard time moving from my Clasic iTunes view, you know, the one with the column browser on top.
Lets me find evrything I want by selecting the categories on top or doing a simple search and with Roon I had the feeling I didn't know where my music was, I missed an overview.
But I know I'm wrong in thinking that, I just don't know how to use it. Any tips?
And I'm also worried it will change some of my metadata. I have mine pretty costomised, I use my own genres.
For example some music that is based on classical music but performed with other music I call "Classicish". That genre also includes some soundtracks with big orchestras. Rock from the 60s till now on the other is split up to different genres like flower power, hardrock, metal (I don't need to spilt up various metal genres, anything heavier than hardrock is metal to me), etc... . You see, only usable for myself.
So is there a way to tell Roon to not to touch any of your metadata when it scans your Library?
And on the Library topic, how do I do that? Let it refer to my iTunes Library so the music is still accessible from both apps? Doesn't it mess  up my Library then? An iTunes Library is pretty fragile ...

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #2,268 of 2,605
  how big of an upgrade is ZDS from a WA2? and anyone can comment on ZDS vs WA22? 

I wouldn't recommend WA2 to anyone, it sounds too syrupy and muddy and overall performs much worse than the similarly priced WA6SE. WA22 isn't bad per se but it's still quite overpriced and even with the best tubes (which would make it more expensive than ZDS) it doesn't hold a candle to a stock ZDS. Eddie Current Black Widow and Schiit Ragnarok are much better amps than WA22 while being less expensive.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #2,269 of 2,605

I wouldn't recommend WA2 to anyone, it sounds too syrupy and muddy and overall performs much worse than the similarly priced WA6SE. WA22 isn't bad per se but it's still quite overpriced and even with the best tubes (which would make it more expensive than ZDS) it doesn't hold a candle to a stock ZDS. Eddie Current Black Widow and Schiit Ragnarok are much better amps than WA22 while being less expensive.

Have you heard both the BW and Raggy? How do they compare?

Sep 1, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2,270 of 2,605

i leaned towards the wa6se after reading reviews against the wa2 but ended up finding a better used deal on wa2 so went with it, it sounds fantastic w/ the hd600 so i have no regrets but i did notice it does not do well w/ low impedance headphones so i am now looking into a ~2k amp as either a complement or replacement, zds is on the top of my list and i would probably pick it over wa22 after my short research, only interested in tube amps so not really considering a rag or bw

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #2,271 of 2,605

i leaned towards the wa6se after reading reviews against the wa2 but ended up finding a better used deal on wa2 so went with it, it sounds fantastic w/ the hd600 so i have no regrets but i did notice it does not do well w/ low impedance headphones so i am now looking into a ~2k amp as either a complement or replacement, zds is on the top of my list and i would probably pick it over wa22 after my short research, only interested in tube amps so not really considering a rag or bw

I upgraded from the WA2 (with a whole bunch of different tube combos) to the original ZD, and it blows the WA2 away. The ZD has much better clarity, cohesion, and overall power. 

Which low Z cans are you planning on driving with the ZDS? 

Sep 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,273 of 2,605

By the way, I just took a look at your profile. You're not still stuck with the stock driver tube are you? Any tube will be better than that one.
Ever thought of replacing the HDVD800 with a Black Widow? I think you'd be pretty amazed, the BW is a SS amp that can breathe some life into your music where the HDVD is pretty dull to my ears. And it's a better match for both your Senns than the Senn amp is.
Otherwise, very very nice setup and selection of cans if you ask me!

Oh and Roon. What do you think of it and how do you use it?
I downloaded a trail over a year ago and couldn't find my way.
I' guess I'm too old and stubborn and have a hard time moving from my Clasic iTunes view, you know, the one with the column browser on top.
Lets me find evrything I want by selecting the categories on top or doing a simple search and with Roon I had the feeling I didn't know where my music was, I missed an overview.
But I know I'm wrong in thinking that, I just don't know how to use it. Any tips?
And I'm also worried it will change some of my metadata. I have mine pretty costomised, I use my own genres.
For example some music that is based on classical music but performed with other music I call "Classicish". That genre also includes some soundtracks with big orchestras. Rock from the 60s till now on the other is split up to different genres like flower power, hardrock, metal (I don't need to spilt up various metal genres, anything heavier than hardrock is metal to me), etc... . You see, only usable for myself.
So is there a way to tell Roon to not to touch any of your metadata when it scans your Library?
And on the Library topic, how do I do that? Let it refer to my iTunes Library so the music is still accessible from both apps? Doesn't it mess  up my Library then? An iTunes Library is pretty fragile ...

I have been thinking about replacing the HDVD800 and the Black Widow is a good suggestion. However, I was thinking about a Schiit Ragnorak because it can also be used to drive speakers. Any experience with that? I primarily use the HDVD800 with my HD 800 and Balanced cable to listen to Classical.

I love Roon. I have my library imported but I use it mostly to stream Tidal. A lot of my library is AAC 256kbps so I like to look for the same albums on Tidal because it streams HiFi.  I don't know about the custom metadata in Roon. It says it doesn't modify your library in any way. I've attached a screenshot below. It doesn't import your whole library, it just references the location.

Sep 1, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,274 of 2,605

I have been thinking about replacing the HDVD800 and the Black Widow is a good suggestion. However, I was thinking about a Schiit Ragnorak because it can also be used to drive speakers. Any experience with that? I primarily use the HDVD800 with my HD 800 and Balanced cable to listen to Classical.

I love Roon. I have my library imported but I use it mostly to stream Tidal. A lot of my library is AAC 256kbps so I like to look for the same albums on Tidal because it streams HiFi.  I don't know about the custom metadata in Roon. It says it doesn't modify your library in any way. I've attached a screenshot below. It doesn't import your whole library, it just references the location.

No, I never heard the Raggy. I think there are a few people here who have both though.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if I can keep or make my own genres in Roon as well.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #2,275 of 2,605
Different Vacuum Tubes w/ my Zana Deux S :

Received my Tung sol 6SU7 GTY Round Plate Vacuum Tube today.  I'm not good at describing sound but there is one thing I'd like to say/ share : there are some audiophiles who don't buy into "tubes" making a difference/ changing (the) sound.  

Well my opinion is based on subjective listening which is the only way I can judge what I'm hearing.  I would love to understand the objective side of audiophile but for the love of me I just cannot grasp let alone understand anything that is technical.  I've been like that my whole life & I'm now 61.  I barely passed basic math in school and as for advanced math e.g. calculus, the stuff that includes letters, etc.  : 
confused_face_2.gif
  I took private tutoring, went to night school, etc.  Nothing helped & I'm the very same w/ the objective side of audiophile.

Ok, the reason for this preamble is the following : my subjective hearing/ nature, really, really, really likes this tube's overall sound.  It's somewhat more up front and spread out than the Mullard ECC35 sweet 6SL7 and smoother than the RCA VT-229 / 6SL7GT**.  The latter and the Tung sol JAN-CTL-V-229/ 6SL7 GT both share a similar sound, both detailed but not as clear & lacks the depth of the TS 6SU GTY RP. 

​The one tube I'm disappointed in is the Brimar CV1985 / 6SL7GT which sounds flat.  There's no special attribute that stands out e.g. detail or instrument separation, or instrument in the forefront impression (don't know if the latter one makes sense; I mean like I'm standing close to the instrument where I can hear the vibration of the strings on the bass ...).  

**The one thing the RCA VT-229 / 6SL7GT does well though is tame down the upper treble of my HD800 and gives it a still detailed but also ads an overall smoother & balanced sound which is quite enjoyable & non fatiguing at all.

Thus I somewhat deduct that it's good to experiment different tubes w/ different headphones.  The reason I'm glad I discovered this is because I was ready to sell the RCA VT-229 but now I've changed my mind. 

I'm waiting for a Sophia Electric Grade A 6SL7 & based on it's reputation I'm anxious to listen to it & share my impressions.

Anyways my preference of the tubes I've bought lately in order :

-Tung sol 6SU7 GTY Round Plate (w/ HD600, HD650 & T1 Gen.1) &,
  RCA VT-229 (w/ HD800 only)

-Mullard ECC35 Sweet 6SL7 (black bottom)

-Tung sol JAN-CTL-V-229/ 6SL7 GT

-Brimar CV1985 / 6SL7GT

BTW this is it for me.  I've exceeded my budget (did I just write budget ??? 
size]
)  by a vast amount of money because I'm addicted to this hobby & it's now time to pay up.  
The Sophia is my last purchase for quite a while but my set up is the best one I've had since I started in this hobby approx. 6-7 years ago & I'm very happy w/ it.

***Hope this helps someone on this thread who's thinking about rolling vacuum tubes.***

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #2,277 of 2,605

there are some audiophiles who don't buy into "tubes" making a difference/ changing (the) sound.  

Now that's a first. Are they deaf?

Sorry about that AppleheadMay; since I cannot find the article, post or basically where "I think" I read what I based my statement on, I have retracted it.  

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #2,279 of 2,605

Sorry about that AppleheadMay; since I cannot find the article, post or basically where "I think" I read what I based my statement on, I have retracted it.  

No, you're probably right, there are bound to be some people not hearing it although I can't understand it. Like you say, it's easily audible.

I wasn't a big fan of the Brimars either. Like most Engish tube they have a bit of blooming warmth and give a more typical tube sound.
The ECC35 is an exception to that though.

You should try the Sophia 6SL7 as well, great tube. Often frowned upon since they aren't NOS but my Sophia gets a lot of time on the Zana.

Sep 15, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #2,280 of 2,605
Funny I am pretty sure I use a brimar cv1985 because I threw it in one day and got real lazy about testing other tubes (Zana is a spare amp at the moment). I dont find it flat or boring though!

I know what you mean, e.g. I wasn't that impressed w/ the RCA VT-229 until I tried it again today w/ my HD800 (they came in today-just bought them).  I prefer the VT-229 - HD800 combination better than w/ the Tung sol 6SU7 GTY Round Plate which is my favourite w/ my other headphones.

I'll try the Brimar again tomorrow also w/ the HD800 (too late tonight & too lazy/ tired).  Who knows, right ?

Which headphones do you listen to w/ the  Zana Deux / Brimar ?

Update : 

Well it turns out that both the RCA VT-229 & Brimar CV1985 sound pretty decent w/ the HD800 so I've decided to keep all of my tubes.  I was going to sell both of them but instead of losing money, I'll keep both and enjoy them with the HD800.  

Thanks/ kudos to, Mr. Sneis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back