Eddie Current Zana Deux owners
May 15, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #2,206 of 2,605
I have had Zana Deux #17 since 2008 and it is still my favorite headphone amp. And I do like it especially with the Sennheisers- 600,650,800 and also with the Enigmacoustic Dharma headphones. This amp can be further improved by replacing the stock fuse with a Synergistic Research Black fuse. They come with a 30 day return policy. They take about 100 hrs. to stabilize. If you love your amp give it a present. Your ears will be glad you did.

David Pritchard

May 18, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #2,207 of 2,605
Hmm, I was just looking at RKML's photo....

Thinking to myself ....  "Hmm, there looks to be PLENTY of space for a Goldpoint stepped attenuator ..."

Hmmmmm, indeed!!

I am planning on going with a 100k TKD 2cp2508; pcx is running a 20% off sale on pots/attenuators. Oddly they seem to be on backorder despite being on sale so it's going to be a wait. 100k is the stock value of my alps pot BTW for an OG ZD; the aforementioned ZDS internal pics are a far cry from this one in many ways.

May 20, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #2,208 of 2,605
I have ZD, #4 and have made various changes over the years, including the installation of a Gold Point stepped attenuator; it will fit, no problem. If you're to ask if the upgrade was worthwhile, I can't answer because I made several changes at once.

I'm 58, have been a hot rodder for over 40 years. The problem with this kind of compulsive behaviour stems from the fact that as you become accustomed to the performance of any machine, you start to take it for granted and as soon as you do, you start thinking about improving it. Of course, if you're successful in improving its performance, you will eventually arrive at the same place, will become accustomed, will take it for granted. At some point, you should find a happy place, be satisfied. If you take it for granted, listen less often and you'll be more likely to be blown away the next time you turn it on!

May 20, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,209 of 2,605
I have ZD, #4 and have made various changes over the years, including the installation of a Gold Point stepped attenuator; it will fit, no problem. If you're to ask if the upgrade was worthwhile, I can't answer because I made several changes at once.

I'm 58, have been a hot rodder for over 40 years. The problem with this kind of compulsive behaviour stems from the fact that as you become accustomed to the performance of any machine, you start to take it for granted and as soon as you do, you start thinking about improving it. Of course, if you're successful in improving its performance, you will eventually arrive at the same place, will become accustomed, will take it for granted. At some point, you should find a happy place, be satisfied. If you take it for granted, listen less often and you'll be more likely to be blown away the next time you turn it on!

Same basic concept applies to upgrade-itis or sidegrade-itis that is so common on head-fi 
wink_face.gif

Conclusion?
It's human nature to just always want more or change.  The desire is much more prevalent in some (myself included) than others.

Jun 12, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2,211 of 2,605
I have an original Zana Deux without the Hi Lo Impedance switch. Will it drive the HE 1000 phones to their fullest potential? I also have a Woo Audio WA7 but from some posts, this amp is not powerful enough.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #2,212 of 2,605
I have an original Zana Deux without the Hi Lo Impedance switch. Will it drive the HE 1000 phones to their fullest potential? I also have a Woo Audio WA7 but from some posts, this amp is not powerful enough.

No iteration of ZD, be it the original or SE or Super, will be enough to drive the HEK sufficiently. You should have a better luck with a high-power SS amp like Rag or BW.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:40 AM Post #2,215 of 2,605
Just got the HEK and it sounds amazing with the ZD but is indeed somewhat underpowered. I could easily live with this combo but now thinking about an upgrade to the highly rated ALO studio 6 that has multiple outputs and can drive several headphones at once and doesn't get nearly at hot to touch as the ZD.

My other option is the MacIntosh MHA 100 that may be a more versatile beast as it can drive bookshelf speakers and has a built in DAC, also highly rated for the HEK. Will need to listen to both. Has anyone done this comparison yet?

Jul 21, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #2,216 of 2,605
Just got the HEK and it sounds amazing with the ZD but is indeed somewhat underpowered. I could easily live with this combo but now thinking about an upgrade to the highly rated ALO studio 6 that has multiple outputs and can drive several headphones at once and doesn't get nearly at hot to touch as the ZD.

My other option is the MacIntosh MHA 100 that may be a more versatile beast as it can drive bookshelf speakers and has a built in DAC, also highly rated for the HEK. Will need to listen to both. Has anyone done this comparison yet?

See if you can audition this: http://www.manley.com/products/view/the-manley-headphone-amplifier

It is supposed to be very impressive, and capable.

Jul 23, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,218 of 2,605
Has anyone compared the WA22 with the Zana Deux? Without all of those expensive tube upgrades Woo offers on his website?? It's amazing how expensive one of those tubes. ($ l1,045 rectifier tube) are but even with all upgrades is still cheaper then the ALO Studio 6 tube amp $ 4100! So hard to audition these at.t meets that are infrequent and noisy.

Jul 24, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #2,219 of 2,605
Has anyone compared the WA22 with the Zana Deux? Without all of those expensive tube upgrades Woo offers on his website?? It's amazing how expensive one of those tubes. ($ l1,045 rectifier tube) are but even with all upgrades is still cheaper then the ALO Studio 6 tube amp $ 4100! So hard to audition these at.t meets that are infrequent and noisy.

Again, no comparison here. WA22 doesn't hold a candle to ZDSE, which in turn is easily bested by its successor ZDS. The only area where the WA22 may perform better than Zana Deux is when it comes to driving less efficient planars, but then again, the WA22 is put to shame by less expensive amps (e.g. Ragnarok) in this regard. The WA22 may have been a good amp once, but over the past several years, not anymore. I'm curious about the upcoming WA22SE, though.

Jul 24, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2,220 of 2,605
I am a happy and loyal owner of a ten year old ZD and want to know if I can upgrade to the S version. I am an expert at building kits and know how to solder and desolder passive components. Are the circuit tweaks a big change also? Is there a way I can get the parts from Craig and do the upgrade myself? I would rather not be without it and have to ship it off. With some basic instructions and a photo, I know I could probably replace the caps but want an opinion and guidance. Also, what would the cost be? Is the improvement really worth the trouble. I just bought a pair of Hifiman HE 1000 and it brings the experience to a higher level with the ZD!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back