Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #226 of 363
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #234 of 363
The Auralic does have a pretty sharp leading edge. Anyone tried the BW with LCD-3 headphones?

The LCD 2/3/4/x all sound great with my BW1. However, your mileage varies based on your DAC with the DAC becoming the bottleneck given the performance level of the BW. Originally purchased a Havana 2 tube dac to soften my previous Schiit Mojo which paired great, but it is a little soft with my BW while still very good. Moving to a Ygg, the BW is stellar. Tried the Cayin iDAC-6 and found it to be a wonderful pairing as well. Shopping DACs now to get rid of the bottleneck. The more detailed the better as the BW adds weight to the textures for a very natural lifelike presentation.   

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #236 of 363
@Barra
I have received my BW2 three weeks ago and I know I owe you impressions, but I'm not ready yet.
I will stay true to my word tho, I promise!

Too bad you are not in the Seattle area, it would be fun to hear a BW 1 and 2 side by side. Look forward to your impressions when you are ready. What DAC are you using?

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #238 of 363
  I heard the Auralic last year and it's pretty sharp in comparison to the BW.

I would think Auralic would pair nice with a dark sounding headphone like the LCD-2.2.. but the BW seems more promising overall to have that "goldilocks" sort of sound.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #239 of 363
I would think Auralic would pair nice with a dark sounding headphone like the LCD-2.2.. but the BW seems more promising overall to have that "goldilocks" sort of sound.

Maybe but I'm not a fan of bright overall.
When it comes to the BW or Zana though I don't think about pairing anymore, they simply sound great with any phones I tried them with.
The Zana is even more versatile as you can change the driver tube. Some nice options are Sophia, 6SU7GTY, ECC35 and I recently heard the 5691 sounds great with brighter cans without getting too tubey so I bought me some.
If you want to have a more tubey sound a Brimar can give you that.

I had the LCD-XC which I found very close soundwise to the LCD-3, took me a few hours in store to choose between the two. Sounded great with the BW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back