Eddie Current - Black Widow, Solid State Headphone AMP Impressions Thread
Aug 5, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #317 of 363
So i ordered heron 5 for the sake of out of stock edbw

Aug 5, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #318 of 363
Did you manage to catch it on Massdrop, for what? $600? I see there among the comments that it's been compared to the EMAC 535SE and hence the EC BW.

SE headphone outlet only, for those who are keeping score.

Aug 5, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #319 of 363
Did you manage to catch it on Massdrop, for what? $600? I see there among the comments that it's been compared to the EMAC 535SE and hence the EC BW.

If I remember it right that comparison was from 1 reviewer only that reviewd the Emac and had a Heron. Other reviewers compared the Emac to the ECBW. I'm a bit wary of such comparisons. Each to his own fo course but I'm busy ordering an Emac from the next batch.

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #320 of 363
Yesterday, my very own Eddie Current Black Widow showed up on my doorstep. So far, I've been incredibly impressed at what it brings to the table. My aeons have never sounded so downright musical.

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #321 of 363

Yes, manage to get it at $600. Will be shipped on 23rd of August which is quite fast. So, i have no much hesitance for this

If I remember it right that comparison was from 1 reviewer only that reviewd the Emac and had a Heron. Other reviewers compared the Emac to the ECBW. I'm a bit wary of such comparisons. Each to his own fo course but I'm busy ordering an Emac from the next batch.
Do you have the link to that review?

Aug 5, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #322 of 363
Yeah, it was my review that compared the EMAC 535SE to the EC BW. Hands review of it from another site reinforced that comparison. But I was a little taken back and gratified to find the EMAC 535SE/EC BW review comparison show up on the Massdrop site in connection with the Heron 5. People actually read this stuff.

Yesterday, my very own Eddie Current Black Widow showed up on my doorstep. So far, I've been incredibly impressed at what it brings to the table. My aeons have never sounded so downright musical.

Good score! Forum sale?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #323 of 363
I had emailed Marv back when the website listed them as "very limited stock", it turned out that he had exactly one demo unit left and was willing to sell it to me (full warranty and everything, extra score).

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #325 of 363
Do you have the link to that review?

http://headfonics.com/2017/01/the-emac-535se-amplifier-by-the-audio-guild/

Yeah, it was my review that compared the EMAC 535SE to the EC BW. Hands review of it from another site reinforced that comparison. But I was a little taken back and gratified to find the EMAC 535SE/EC BW review comparison show up on the Massdrop site in connection with the Heron 5. People actually read this stuff.

I actually place more trust in your and Hands review than the headphonics one. :wink:

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #328 of 363
We all reference new gear to that which we're familiar with. Hands & I may be just a bit closer to the consumer bleeding edge...
But do u ever heard of heron5 compared to both bw and emac?

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #330 of 363
No. I have no experience with the Heron 5. Refer to the Headfonics EMAC 535SE review link above and do some linear extrapolation with my review for the BW. But I think you'll be okay.
Yes, i read that earlier. It seems convincing enough. And one more, i do plan to get a usb isolater if it may improve the signal. Perhaps uptone regen or ifi nano usb3.0. A lot of postive review. But yeah, still planning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back