Eddie Current 2A3 - New updated version, new look with polished top
Dec 29, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #91 of 111
I think it's just speaker out added on the 2A3, single ended only, different transformers. I assume the Mk IV actually has 4 2a3's. Not sure on that one though. BA can use 2a3's if you want. Otherwise very similar.

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #92 of 111
The new 2A3 uses an interstage transformer and has a solid state power supply.  The BA uses coupling caps and has a tube rectifier. I don't believe that the BA with 2A3 is an option anymore, there were very few of them made in that configuration. .  The high-frequency heater that was used in the BA has now been implemented in the newest version of the 2A3.  This is one of the reasons the BA has such a remarkable soundstage.   Between the two the main differences are in tubes, power supply, and transformer/caps

The 2A3 mkIV uses paralelled 2A3s and produces 6 watts of power compared with the mkII which produces 3 watts.  Either version can be used for speakers depending on requirements.

Jan 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #93 of 111
Warning to fellow audio travellers, this is my experience with JJTUBES.eu when I bought a pair faulty JJ 2A3-40W. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/700641/beware-of-jjtubes-eu-defective-jj-2a3-40w-is-your-amps-fault-even-if-it-works-fine-with-other-2a3-tubes

Feb 1, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #95 of 111
I read the references to using different rectifier and driver tubes with the latest version of this amp (some with appropriate adapters); what are the possible substitutes in these locations?

Thanks in advance!

Randy

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #96 of 111
I read the references to using different rectifier and driver tubes with the latest version of this amp (some with appropriate adapters); what are the possible substitutes in these locations?

Thanks in advance!

Randy

In terms of the rectifier tube, Svetlana 6D22S, you can get old stock from ebay, but the vintage (say 1970s) ones have the same plate structure as the new ones. Maybe the used old ones sound better, but I don't know. Similar situation with the Sovtek 6C45pi drivers. I guess you can get them gold pinned a la EH or cryo'd, upon which they may or may not obtain majickal powers.

In short, there are no substitutes (unless you are willing to do funky stuff which will probably void your warranty). I actually think that's a good thing. Only need to roll the 2A3 and prevents OCTRD.

Feb 1, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #97 of 111
Not sure what is best tubes combo for the latest version of EC 2A3 as they use different drivers and rectifiers to older version. You could email Craig and see what he thinks.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #98 of 111
Thanks; I've sent Craig an email this weekend, but haven't heard back yet (I assume the email link on the EC site is still valid?).  If I'm reading this thread correctly, the current version of the 2A3 uses SS rectification rather than tubed?  I suspect maybe the Eddie Current site just hasn't been updated.  I'm fine with limited or no tuberolling options re the driver tube (and rectifier, if my assumption that the current version uses SS rectification is incorrect), as I have plenty of 2A3 tuberolling options to keep me busy.

For those of you with the 2A3 amp, do you have any hum or noise issues with high sensitivity headphones?  I use ATH-W3000ANV's, which have high efficiency/sensitivity, and one thing I really like about the DNA Stratus is the hum pots which allow me to eliminate any trace of hum, even with these headphones....I don't see any hum pots on the pics I find of the EC 2A3 amp, so I'm very interested in getting feedback from current 2A3 owners.

I'm considering moving to the EC 2A3 as I'd like to also use my 2A3 amp to power my high efficiency loudspeakers from time to time, but I'm struggling to get a feel for the EC 2A3 in its current version, so any thoughts/input are most welcome!

Thanks,

Randy

p.s. if any current EC 2A3 owners are considering moving to a newer version or different amp such that they might consider letting their EC 2A3 amp go, please p.m. me.  Especially if it is quiet with high sensitivity headphones
bigsmile_face.gif
!

Feb 4, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #99 of 111
No hum issue when I used JVC DX1000 with EML 45 tubes, very quiet. Haven't tried the JVC with 2A3 as I sold the phone before I got the 2A3 tubes. With 2A3 and T1, same, no noise again.

Not idea what type of power supply is used in the new version (SS or valve based), all I know is that it uses 2 rectifiers tubes (different tube type to old version). Also there is now a choice of 2 power tubes & 4 power tubes, the 4 being better for speakers as it has more power. Best check with Craig for detail. 

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #100 of 111
  Thanks; I've sent Craig an email this weekend, but haven't heard back yet (I assume the email link on the EC site is still valid?).  If I'm reading this thread correctly, the current version of the 2A3 uses SS rectification rather than tubed?  I suspect maybe the Eddie Current site just hasn't been updated.  I'm fine with limited or no tuberolling options re the driver tube (and rectifier, if my assumption that the current version uses SS rectification is incorrect), as I have plenty of 2A3 tuberolling options to keep me busy.

For those of you with the 2A3 amp, do you have any hum or noise issues with high sensitivity headphones?  I use ATH-W3000ANV's, which have high efficiency/sensitivity, and one thing I really like about the DNA Stratus is the hum pots which allow me to eliminate any trace of hum, even with these headphones....I don't see any hum pots on the pics I find of the EC 2A3 amp, so I'm very interested in getting feedback from current 2A3 owners.

I'm considering moving to the EC 2A3 as I'd like to also use my 2A3 amp to power my high efficiency loudspeakers from time to time, but I'm struggling to get a feel for the EC 2A3 in its current version, so any thoughts/input are most welcome!

Thanks,

Randy

p.s. if any current EC 2A3 owners are considering moving to a newer version or different amp such that they might consider letting their EC 2A3 amp go, please p.m. me.  Especially if it is quiet with high sensitivity headphones
bigsmile_face.gif
!

No hum issues at all... I've even used my CIEMs with it... Some microphonics yes, noticeable hum, nahh... not exactly!

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:35 AM Post #103 of 111
Glad to learn that actually; I was afraid that something was wrong. I know and understand that sometimes small business owners don't have time to get to all the email inquiries as quickly as one might like.

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #104 of 111
I heard from Craig this morning and thought I'd share the following info to help clear up any confusion (certainly any that my posts may have contributed to); per his message, the 2A3MK II uses 6D22s rectifier tubes (and that EY500 also works), and driver tubes are ECC99.

He is backlogged right now and things are on hold, so again if anyone is interested in selling their EC 2A3 amp (not particular as to version/vintage, so long as it has speaker outputs as well as headphone outs), please shoot me a pm.

Thanks,

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back