*******ed Shure E2cs
Apr 6, 2007 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

LeoBloom.

New Head-Fier
Well I'm pissed at these E2cs I've had for almost two years now. Every six months they would break and I'd have to send them off to Shure for a free replacement. I thought that that was somewhat annoying but my most recent pair broke just yesterday or within two months of me getting a replacement from shure. That totals a whole 4 times I've sent them the shures. I think that I'm ready for some new headphones. I'm looking in the range of under a hundred dollars with noise isolation and good sound (of course
smily_headphones1.gif
). I'm going to be using it on the iriver clix on the subway

Any suggestions?

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 24
I've gone through the same experience as you. I bought a pair of Audio Technica ATH-CK7s, and while they don't isolate as well (but they still block out most noise) they have a bigger soundstage and are much more detailed. They're like Etymotic ER6s but with bass.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #3 of 24
i just opened the box for my replaced e2c, i now use E4cs tho. Just started to play a bit of comparison and boy i like the fittings of my E4c and the sound quality alot more lol. E2c sound isnt as clear as E4cs and isnt as comfy. I say you save up for a pair of E4cs!
biggrin.gif
(note: theyre prob on sale at many places cuz of the SE Line)

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 24
What are you doing to them? are you storing them in the provided sure case?.. or pulling them out by the cord?

Something you might want to consider.

Are you after a durability/reliability enhancement more than a sonic enhancement?... or both?

If a durability enhancement is your goal, I'm going to recommend the FX33 with e2c tips. Mine has been plenty durable... I roll around ON them at night when I sleep. IMHO, modded they sound better than a stock e2c. Cheap, readily available, if they break, just get another pair for $15.

Good Luck!!

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #5 of 24
How apt. This is like an almost linear relationship between the number of times it breaks and the model it is. I had my e3c for 18 months and sent it back twice in that time. I'm upgrading to a pair of second-hand e4 soon which will really be put to the test as they're already 15 months old
blink.gif
. I hope they don't break because claiming under warranty this time will be awkward.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 24
I don't use the provided shure case. What I do is just wrap them around my player and keep it in my jacket pocket. I don't really think I yank them or anything, but the constant wrapping around might fudge them over. What do you mean by modded JVCs?

the damn e2cs make it sound like I have water stuck in my right ear lol

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoBloom. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use the provided shure case. What I do is just wrap them around my player and keep it in my jacket pocket. I don't really think I yank them or anything, but the constant wrapping around might fudge them over.

Yeah.... headphones generally don't like that kind of treatment. Although, even with the shure case, my e2c cable crumbled after ~13 months of regular commuting use, and I take very good care of my stuff.

So, at most youre only going to get ~18 months out of em'.

Apr 6, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #8 of 24
if you continue to treat your earphones like that then i would recommend buying something that wont hurt your wallet when they break.

such as the JVC marshmallows. just go to bestbuy or walmart and grab a pair. just $20, or if your lucky they will be on sale.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #9 of 24
My e2c's cable finally went out after 12 months as well. I wrap them around my player, so i'm actually surprised they lasted that long.

Luckily the bad part of the cable was very close the the plug, so I just cut it off and put a new one on. Good as new.

Apr 7, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #10 of 24
had a pair of E3c's for over a year.. used 8hrs a day 5 days a week, in and out of my ears 5-6 times a day and never had a problem with them..

hope my E500's hold up.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeoBloom. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use the provided shure case. What I do is just wrap them around my player and keep it in my jacket pocket.

That's the problem. You shouldn't wrap headphones around your player, you can break the cable very easily.

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 24
I abused my e2s for almost 2 years of heavy use, mostly 12 hour shifts.

At one time, one side's plastic body came apart, a bit of superglue fixed that.

The cable has been fine as well as the plug.

But I always rolled them up nice and neat, keeping them in an cleaned altoids can when not in use.

seems kinda of counter-productive (foolish?) to cough up more than $100 phatties for phones and then wrap them around players and/or toss them unprotected into the bottom of the bag.

I'm using the e4s now, not a single issue since I picked them up.

Apr 7, 2007 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 24
Strange. Besides one of my E2C driver enclosures coming apart in halves at one point (just like above poster, superglue fixed that) they've been incredibly durable over three years. I've always kept them in the case. I actually think the thick cable is a strong suit of the design.

The only problem I've had is that I vomited on my original pair and case during a alcohol-hazed evening in Chicago several months ago and had to throw them out and buy another set. Had nothing to do with their sound quality - had everything to do with the amount of Johnnie Black I had consumed over a short period of time.

Yes, I'm serious, and there's a good reason to buy cheap(er) IEMs.
tongue.gif

Apr 7, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #14 of 24
I thought that with all the advertising of the durable cables and what not, wrapping the earphones loosely around a player shouldn't destroy them. I don't know how the rest of you manage to take the time to put them in your special cases every time you decide to take them off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back