Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Jan 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #271 of 992
  Finder X1 owner here. Phones are partnered with Chord Hugo.

Very impressive sonic results, and especially in tranparency field (my reference pair is a modded Hifiman HE-6 on a Firstwatt F5).

Bass is very good as well as dynamics.

Mids are a little distant sounding and with less body compared to my reference (HE-6).

Problem is the somewhat annoying upper mids / treble. Fortunately, the 3-day burn in has tamed these frequencies, so I have hopes. :)

I'm using reference filter and comply tips.

You literally just made my day by mentioning the Finder in the same post as the HE6.

etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #272 of 992
Tyl just posted some measurements at innerfidelity.  No review, I imagine he finds them too bright.  He likes a laid-back slightly rolled off sound.  

A  strong bass boost and pretty linear the rest of the way out with a slight treble boost.  Excellent extension at both ends of the frequency range, as good as I've seen in any IEM..  Pretty much how I hear them.  Channel matching and distortion are also excellent.  Interestingly, it looks like the bass filters actually tone down the  upper bass a bit and accentuate the sub-bass and mid-bass a bit.  Just the kind of bass I like.  A very solid set of measurements over all.

Jan 28, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #273 of 992
The X1 has become my default match for the P1, which is now my day to day combo. The pair works really well together, with the kinda analogue thick presentation of the P1 complemented by the airy, clean, detailed sound of the X1.

Haven't listened to my CE6Ps for days ... 

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #275 of 992
Here is the link for the white filter.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/EchoboxFinderX1WhiteFilter.pdf

If you go to innerfidelity.com, click on "Resources", then "Data sheet downloads" and scroll down to you get to the IEM's.  Then they are in alphabeticla order.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #276 of 992
I know this may sound wierd ......But what am I supposed to do with Tidal? I mean I dont know how to use it.. Are you supposed to download songs on your computer / phone or just listen to various songs while surfing? Ive had it for a while now & havent a clue? Can someone please explain it to me.....

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #277 of 992
  I know this may sound wierd ......But what am I supposed to do with Tidal? I mean I dont know how to use it.. Are you supposed to download songs on your computer / phone or just listen to various songs while surfing? Ive had it for a while now & havent a clue? Can someone please explain it to me.....

Yes. Tidal can be used on your phone through the app and online at tidal.com. You can store songs and albums for offline use also. Basically it is a platform for streaming music and organizing the music you like. I'm new too, so haven't tried that many features.

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #278 of 992
Think Tidal as a huge library of music files for online streaming or for offline reproduction through local storage (for music on the go without data connection).

But everything stops (both online and offline service) when subscription expires. Offline content is also useless.

And what about sound? Very hard to distinguish from red book 16/44.1 on a good player at home!

Jan 28, 2016 at 4:44 PM Post #279 of 992
I think that's the point of Tidal - streaming in CD quality. Other services like Spotify stream music at lower quality levels, so at the moment Tidal odds the best streaming service for audiophile quality.
Think Tidal as a huge library of music files for online streaming or for offline reproduction through local storage (for music on the go without data connection).

But everything stops (both online and offline service) when subscription expires. Offline content is also useless.

And what about sound? Very hard to distinguish from red book 16/44.1 on a good player at home!

Jan 28, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #280 of 992
I think that's the point of Tidal - streaming in CD quality. Other services like Spotify stream music at lower quality levels, so at the moment Tidal odds the best streaming service for audiophile quality.

Plus threatening to offer to support MQA technology (Master Quality Authenticated), a new codec that packages hi-res/lossless over the internet so probably 24Bit (???) at some stage

Have a look at the website and thier videos explaining all, worth the trial at least is available on you mobile devices, computer. Great way to trial/research music at better than MP3 quality

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #284 of 992
I have my X1 for month and in this time, they easily become my prefered daily companion on my way to work.

Using reference filter, with spiral dots and mix of Fiio players. Their sound is not most neutral or truthful, neither relaxing and smooth, but it's just what I want to listen to on the go. Elevated bas and treble makes everything fun and energetic, thinner mids and airy presentation assures great clear and detailed mids.Just for the sound, easily worth 200$.

But they add much more. I really realised it, when I compared them to my other crowdfunding IEMs, Flare R2A. X1 has not great build quality, from titanium housing(and they didn't need 3 different materials from 200-600$) to cable, but it's clear they were made by other fans of portable audio. It shows in small things, like different color cable entries or protrusion on Y-split.

There are many IEMs with great sound, many IEMs with great build quality. But combination of these two is quite rare and i don't think anybody does it better in price under 200$.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 31, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #285 of 992
  I have my X1 for month and in this time, they easily become my prefered daily companion on my way to work.

Using reference filter, with spiral dots and mix of Fiio players. Their sound is not most neutral or truthful, neither relaxing and smooth, but it's just what I want to listen to on the go. Elevated bas and treble makes everything fun and energetic, thinner mids and airy presentation assures great clear and detailed mids.Just for the sound, easily worth 200$.

But they add much more. I really realised it, when I compared them to my other crowdfunding IEMs, Flare R2A. X1 has not great build quality, from titanium housing(and they didn't need 3 different materials from 200-600$) to cable, but it's clear they were made by other fans of portable audio. It shows in small things, like different color cable entries or protrusion on Y-split.

There are many IEMs with great sound, many IEMs with great build quality. But combination of these two is quite rare and i don't think anybody does it better in price under 200$.

I love the sound and build quality on these. They are absolutely bullet proof on build quality. The cable is the best cable I've encountered. It never ever tangles and is silent. Full of win.

For sound, I've found myself going more with the Trinity Audio Atlas lately. The Atlas has a bit bigger soundstage and is a bit more vivid (they are fairly similar, though). I'll have to do a shoot-out at some point, when I have time. Hard to know when that will be with 3 reviews to write, a 6 month old baby, and insane deadlines at work. I've also got a bunch of other of my own devices to review. Busy busy busy. I mostly have driven these out of my DX50, but I'll throw some higher power output at them soon and see how they sing.

I'm so excited for the Explorer. I think if the X1 is any indicator of quality on the Explorer, the Explorer is going to be special. Get it to me for my birthday in April @Gilly87.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back