Echobox Finder X1 review/impressions/discussion thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 992

Selenium

Headphoneus Supremus
Big thanks to Gilly87 at Echobox for sending me out a review sample. I am not affiliated with Echobox...but the Finder X1 has been on my radar ever since I first saw it; so I'm thankful for the opportunity.

http://echoboxaudio.com/

They also have a flask-shaped DAP on the horizon which features local storage as well as streaming capability. Interesting, and I like that it has some personality.

Pics! (well, I'll upload some in the coming days - having the damndest problems currently)

I don't want to say much about the sound yet, gonna give them time to burn. But I will say the fit is excellent, currently wearing them over-the-ear. The smallest single-flange tips allow me to get a pretty deep fit. They're pretty light considering the all-metal housings. No microphonics with over-the-ear wear. I've not tried the filter system yet, but they come with two additional sets, as well as six pairs of tips(three single-flange, one double-flange, and one triple-flange. They also come with a clamshell carrying case with two internal pockets. The cable is a little springy, but there's a cable cinch so no biggie. Build quality is excellent. Isolation is very good. The IEMs don't appear to be vented.

Current sources are the Pono Player, LG G3, Fiio X1, Sansa Clip+, and my Alienware 15 laptop. I just sold my Pono though.

I'll flesh this out as I spend more time with them, and post an actual review in the coming weeks.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 992
OK, after having listened to these a little more, I can say the bass is badass. Using the red filters. The bass is strong and textured as well as anything I've ever heard.

Switching to the black filters there's a drop in treble(and perceived clarity) but the bass gets stronger, and doesn't lose anything.

So far, I'd say these sound like the CKR9 combined with the Dunu Titan 1. They're spacious.

Early impressions: I'd say they have elevated bass in every configuration. They're like a cross between L-shaped and V-shaped.

Nov 2, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #6 of 992
I would probably give it a spin for $99! Make sure you link us when it is available.

Nov 5, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 992
I received a pair of these to review today and I am enjoying them quite a bit so far. I won't go into great detail tonight as I want them to burn in for the night but I will start providing some impressions over the next couple of days.

But I will comment on some physical points. First off darn are these things tiny! But the sound isn't... My pair does not have the Mic and controls which is just fine as I am testing mostly out of my Pono right now. I love the cable, it is solid feeling but does not have a lot of microphonics so far (real test will be tomorrow when I wear them to work). The strain relief being inside the IEM is an interesting design idea and sure makes these sleek but only time will tell about durability. The included tip selection is decnt and they come with a great hard clam shell case.

I am currently using the white filters and enjoying what I am hearing a lot. So far they seem to have a lot of detail across the entire spectrum without any fatigue from the highs. But I have to stop... I did say was going to let these burn in tonight after all :wink:.

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 992
I had a pair of Finder X1 IEM's arrive today, cute little guys aren't they? 
tongue.gif

First off, really impressed at the design and cable flexibility, its really soft and holds no memory (which is silver plated copper wire btw). The housings are indeed quite small, not quite Trinity Hyperion small but close. They're also rather robust (I've seen a video of them being run over by a car). I also like the shape and design Echobox have gone for, its unique and has some style.

For size comparison see my Aurisonics ASG-2 looks like a giant next to these!

(who ate all the pies?? 
tongue.gif

I haven't gone through all the accessories yet, but I did see unique silicon tips I've not stumbled across before either, I wonder if these tips were designed only for Echobox? They're rather soft and comfortable, they allow the housing to sink away in your ear canal without any discomfort (see them on the earphone atm). There's a filter system as well I haven't played with yet.

As for the sound, at first I started with some simple Ane Brun tracks which are essentially acoustic and vocal, the sound of Finder X1 is rather transparent and a little bright (just fractionally) in the mid-range, allows vocals and guitars to shine with far above average detail, the low end is a little warm, at least with the stock filters. One thing which struck me was how tight the bass is, I was impressed at the impact and texture X1 could hold while keeping the mid-range clean for such a small housing. I moved onto some Michel Jonazs tracks which I usually put to work with Tralucent 1Plus2, and again was impressed at the resolution I could hear in Michel Jonazs voice, was little surprised actually, hearing his voice not roll-off as early with other IEM's I have.  The vocals also have a certain tone to them, I can certainly sense the titanium housing at work putting a slight sheen to the sound, kind of lends focus to the transparency and timbre.

What I want to test further is the treble, could sound a little splashy with certain tracks so I want to try some different sources and the filter system to see if there's anything I like more. But I can say I had a listen to them when they arrived then ran off doing other things, only later tonight I plugged them into my Pono Player and thought 'wait a minute' I like these, I quite like them a lot!. So I'm going to keep playing with them tonight.

I will return with some more photos as I want to try and catch the cable properly and some better shots of the housings under good light.

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #10 of 992
Yup I am noticing a sheen to the upper mids and treble as well making cymbals a bit harsh and some vocals sound a bit etched, so I want to play more with the filters. I am currently using the white filters. I am going to switch to the black and see how that works. These have very good imaging which is impressive considering their size. I also need to give these a day of burn in which will hopefully help settle the upper mids and treble.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #11 of 992
I find the quality of the recording also plays a considerable part in how Finder X1 sounds. Due to It's transparent nature I'm hearing it won't hide much on poor quality recordings. I know what dweavers saying though completely, feels like the drivers almost need to settle.

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 992
Here are some more sample photos of Finder X1.

Get a better take on the housings, silver plated cable, and those tips I was talking about!

^ You can see the jack and Y-Spilt have gone for a streamlined approach, (there's also cable cinch up further)

^ If you look closely at the tips can you see something written on them? 
biggrin.gif
 (I wonder what it says?)

^  That flexible cable I mentioned well shielded, its especially relaxed and holds near no memory.

^ The titanium housings, they very much remind me of two chess pieces.

^ There it is! I was right! That's a custom Echobox logo imprinted into the tips! (so they are unique to Echobox
biggrin.gif
)

Nov 6, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #14 of 992
Mochill had joined the team x1 thank to gilly87 for the review unit, I'm definitely enjoying the sound of these bad boys out for the box. Transparency is high as well as resolution (VE duke level).easy to drive and that bass is so epic:scream:. It doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum. I also love how small and lightweight they are and these fit perfectly in both of my ears:sunglasses:.

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #15 of 992
Mochill had joined the team x1 thank to gilly87 for the review unit, I'm definitely enjoying the sound of these bad boys out for the box. Transparency is high as well as resolution (VE duke level).easy to drive and that bass is so epic:scream:. It doesn't interfere with the rest of the spectrum. I also love how small and lightweight they are and these fit perfectly in both of my ears:sunglasses:.

Welcome aboard Mochill. I must ask, have you come up with a specified burn in requirement program yet for Finder X1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back