Echo indigo DJ and pa2v2. Please help
Mar 28, 2006 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mplee79

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. It's my understanding tha the echo indigo DJ sound card has an headphone amplifier built in. I was wondering if it was still ok to hook up my pa2v2 to the headphone amp of the indigo? Would this destroy any of my equipment or would it be useless because the indigo may be better than the pa2v2? I guess what i'm asking is, if the indigo is better than the pa2v2 in terms of amping ability, would I benefit to have my pa2v2 plugged in as well.

Thanks

Mar 28, 2006 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 8
AFAIK the Indigo has a somewhat feeble output so it'll definitely benefit from an amp. There is no strict separation between line outs and headphone outs anyway, as in most cases there'll at least be some kind of opamp behind the output regardless of what it is (exception: AV-710 alt out).

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 8
I thought the Echo indigo DJ has a headphone out and a line out (two outputs) whereas the Echo indigo IO has an input and an output only. Am I wrong??

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Echopac
I thought the Echo indigo DJ has a headphone out and a line out (two outputs) whereas the Echo indigo IO has an input and an output only. Am I wrong??

Absolutely right.

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
AFAIK the Indigo has a somewhat feeble output so it'll definitely benefit from an amp.

Not true at all, my Indigo IO drives my HD-600s as well as a full-blown desktop headphone amp (rivaling my PPA).

Mar 29, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
Not true at all, my Indigo IO drives my HD-600s as well as a full-blown desktop headphone amp (rivaling my PPA).

Oh. Not bad considering that supply voltage can't be more than 5 V, I guess they're using modern rail-to-rail opamps then. OTOH, HD600s with their 300 ohms and comparatively high impedance aren't too difficult a load for opamps anyway, some even prefer unbuffered amps for them. Results would probably favor the PPA if one were to connect a K501 or a Grado.

Mar 29, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #7 of 8
I personally think the built-in Indigo amp is somewhat preferable to the PA2V2.

If you must use the external amp, use the line-out jack, not the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back