EC Zana Deux tube rolling pls share
Jul 14, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #586 of 651
I was at the shops today & found a 2 horned Sovtek 6C33C-B. I must say I've not seen a 2 horned version. Does anyone know anything about it?

Also another shop had a Mullard ECC32 which the chap assured me it was compatible to the ECC35 but just older & a globe shape instead of cylinder. I didn't want to take the risk of buying it first but thought I'd check with you folks. Can anyone confirm if I can use the ECC32? It's supposedly a 6SN7 compatible.

The info didn't sound right to me but I'm also a noob at tubes.

Jul 20, 2013 at 3:34 AM Post #587 of 651
I was at the shops today & found a 2 horned Sovtek 6C33C-B. I must say I've not seen a 2 horned version. Does anyone know anything about it?

Also another shop had a Mullard ECC32 which the chap assured me it was compatible to the ECC35 but just older & a globe shape instead of cylinder. I didn't want to take the risk of buying it first but thought I'd check with you folks. Can anyone confirm if I can use the ECC32? It's supposedly a 6SN7 compatible.

The info didn't sound right to me but I'm also a noob at tubes.

They're quite different...

6SL7/ECC35 is a high gain tube, while 6SN7/ECC32 is a more moderately gain tube.

The heater current of ECC35 is 0,4A
While ECC32 s 0,95A

Often this part limits it's use... If an amp is made for 6SN7 it's possible that 6SL7 can be used (lower current-needs) however, 6SL7 can be operated at higher voltages, up to 550V while 6SN7 is limited to 300V.

In short... Under some conditions, 6SL7 can be used on 6SN7-amps, however, there's quite a difference in gain, which might make the volume pot unusable.

Hope it helps...

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #588 of 651
Thank you. That does. I'm very glad I didn't buy it, I'm somewhat surprised the chap told me I could use it. Either there was a lost in translation or he was trying to sell me something I didn't need.

Meanwhile I've actually dropped my ZD off to a shop today to have it modded slightly - adding a 3 ohm/12 ohm switch. Well I kinda told him to just "do what he thinks is best". I left him my TH-900 too. He's the kinda chap who feels "the amp needs to be tuned to suit the headphones".

Dec 16, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #589 of 651
Kinda bumping an old thread (and trying to keep the ZD Tube rolling discussion here instead of the ZD owners thread).

I recently won a bid for the Mullard 6SL7GT short brown base. ValentinHogea seems to have owned both the short brown base and the tall black base. What's the difference sonically between the two?

And a separate question, is the Full Music 6SL7 the same as the Sophia Electric 6SL7? I read somewhere that Sophia Electric is OEMed Full Music but the price difference is big enough to make question if that's truly the case?

Dec 17, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #590 of 651
  Kinda bumping an old thread (and trying to keep the ZD Tube rolling discussion here instead of the ZD owners thread).

I recently won a bid for the Mullard 6SL7GT short brown base. ValentinHogea seems to have owned both the short brown base and the tall black base. What's the difference sonically between the two?

And a separate question, is the Full Music 6SL7 the same as the Sophia Electric 6SL7? I read somewhere that Sophia Electric is OEMed Full Music but the price difference is big enough to make question if that's truly the case?

Hi mate!

I prefer the Tall Black Base... It's a bit more neutral while the short brown base was a bit more euphonic. It's a matter of taste. So try them out, pick the one you prefer (... and the differences aren't THAT big...)

Regarding the Full Music & Sophia Electric. The official story is that some of the best tubes are branded Sophia Electric and sold directly to them. Wether this is actually true and justifying the price. I haven't had the pleasure (?) to give them a go.

Cheers,
V

Dec 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #591 of 651
Thx for the response V.

I've been using the Sylvania VT229 and I just picked up the short brown base Mullard 6SL7(W??)GT  - Mullard 6SL7s are hard to come by in Tokyo (although easier to find 6SN7's and EL34's). Just trying the Mullards, they're a little warmer and takes the edge off trebles. The sub-bass extension (and oh that rumble!!) though is much deeper than the Sylvanias. Depth imaging is also further extended. Not certain about the soundstage width yet.

I see what you mean by euphonic!! This is definitely a "cuddle up with your loved one on a sheepskin rug by the fireplace during winter" tube.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #592 of 651
  Thx for the response V.

I've been using the Sylvania VT229 and I just picked up the short brown base Mullard 6SL7(W??)GT  - Mullard 6SL7s are hard to come by in Tokyo (although easier to find 6SN7's and EL34's). Just trying the Mullards, they're a little warmer and takes the edge off trebles. The sub-bass extension (and oh that rumble!!) though is much deeper than the Sylvanias. Depth imaging is also further extended. Not certain about the soundstage width yet.

I see what you mean by euphonic!! This is definitely a "cuddle up with your loved one on a sheepskin rug by the fireplace during winter" tube.

Let me know if you need any unusual stuff. Tangotubes.com (Roland) is a swede that I have good contact with and he has a lot of premium tubes. Not cheap. But definitely NOS as in NOS.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #596 of 651
Very nice, classic box man, also great tubes, thanks for sharing. Let us know how they sound, especially those military Swedish made  33S29 (6SL7) and 33S30 (6SN7)

Quote:

I bought Standard Radio tubes. Two of each: 22S22 (GZ34), 33S29 (6SL7), 33S30 (6SN7), 5S2 (6V6).
Nicely packed :)

I like TUNG SOL 6SU7GTY very much, this is one of the best sounding 6SL7 kind of tube.

Bought two Sylvania 6SL7WGT Brown Base and one TUNG SOL 6SU7GTY.
I can't wait to start comparing the different tubes.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #597 of 651
I think I've found my Zana nirvana with the Mullard ECC35. I've yet to pick up the Full Music/Sophia Electric 6SL7 yet.

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #599 of 651

Fat brown base and short bottle?

I never had the chance to try them, only short base and tall glass.

Short brown base. Looks like this photo from tubeworld :-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back