eBay trouble
Jul 1, 2008 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

rockin_amigo14

Headphoneus Supremus
So this is my first eBay auction and my first problem. That was quick. A while ago, I used Buy It Now on a Nintendo Wii. Payment was processed on June 17 and confirmed on June 20. I heard nothing from the seller. After multiple messages and direct e-mails, I finally get one back from her saying that her supplier ran out of Wii's and that she'd be willing to give me a refund. So I said to go ahead and do that.

After a few more e-mails and messages with no response, I told her I'd file a PayPal dispute unless I got something by tomorrow evening. It's been 10 days and I'm out $300, which isn't much really but to an 18-year-old who is working a 7.75/hr job, it's quite a bit.

Anyway, am I being unreasonable? Are there any additional actions or measures that need to be taken?

All I really wanted was to play some Brawl
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 22
Not unreasonable at all. I'm surprised you've waited this long. I would have filed a complaint with paypal almost immediately. It works wonders, especially with reputable sellers. Try craigslist next time. May have to keep searching for a week but at least you can pick it up in person.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #4 of 22
File the Dispute with PayPal. If they are an honorable or close Seller they'll refund your money since they have a small business to run.

Plus check eBay where you give Feedback- there's a link for Problem Transactions.

Mitch

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 22
I've been buying on ebay for years and only had one problem similar to your. I 100% agree that filing a dispute with PayPal is your best bet. In my case, it took paypal a few days to review the transaction and they refunded my money. A good experience from paypal.

Best of luck to you.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait. You might see results before August if you're lucky. I didn't know you needed a Wii. Mine has been sitting in the closet for 14 months.

once i get my money back, we should talk.

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 22
Just a quick note here -- filing a dispute is different from opening a claim. A dispute basically just lets PayPal and the seller know that something is wrong, and getting a PayPal dispute email usually wakes an honest but lazy seller up pretty quickly.

If after a few days with a dispute out there and there's still no response -- you should go ahead and escalate it to a claim and be prepared to provide PayPal with a bunch of information about the failed transaction.

I wish you the best of luck for a speedy and amicable resolution! I've experienced the idiocy of PayPal on both ends of the transactional spectrum and while they are usually fair, they are slow and difficult to communicate with.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 22
Sorry to bring this back up, but here's what's up.

I raised my dispute to a claim on the 2nd. Since then I got an e-mail from the seller claiming she "can not make a refund since PayPal currently has a hold on her account" (?)

anyway, the resolution center says that the seller has until Jul. 12, 2008 to respond. as i'm sure you're all well-aware, that was yesterday. I'm not sure as to what's happening now, so I wonder what happens next?

The reason I ask is I leave for two weeks next Saturday and won't have internet available.

Jul 14, 2008 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 22
Do not relinquish your claim. Let PayPal ride it. Since she cannot provide a tracking number or signature, PayPal will side with the buyer. When you get your refund, we should talk if you still need a Wii.

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #13 of 22
well i just got this in an e-mail

Quote:

Dear Eric Stishan,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer
Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds
from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery
of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in
question if they become available in the seller's account in the future and
will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may include
issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the account.
Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors to determine when to take
action, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we cannot discuss
the details of any action taken. We hope you understand our policy and that
it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.

does this mean I just lost $283? cause that would suck a lot.

@rockcity, i actually bought a Wii from a friend. sorry.

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 22
No problem. But, yeah, you won't be able to retrieve any funds unless the seller deposits some from her account. On the positive side, you have a lot of leverage on her business. If she's currently running any auctions, you'll receive the winners' payments in lieu of your own because any credit that goes into her account will be confiscated and rewarded to you. Since she has an overhanging balance, she cannot close her account or make any alteration to her information. Over time her negative balance will be sold to a collection agency. Anyway, the only thing you can do at this point is coax her into saving a lot of time and trouble in the future by paying you back now. Hope you didn't burn any bridges the last time you talked to her.

Oh yes, I don't remember if you made the payment with a CC? If you did just call your company and they'll do a reversal within 24 hours. This is a lot easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back