ebay Sextett (I hope) on the way!
Oct 30, 2008 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

htbyron

100+ Head-Fier
So I periodically check ebay for K240 headphones, in search of a sextett for sale. Found one yesterday with no bids, and won it today at a reasonable price (with a 10% off coupon to boot).
biggrin.gif

The pics show what appears to be an excellent condition LP sextett (maybe MP?), as far as I can tell. Here's the link
beerchug.gif

The seller is not far away, so I'm hoping to get these in hand by early next week (maybe this weekend, if the stars align). Of course, there's no knowing the condition of the elastics or foam until then, but the headband and pads (and cable) look surprisingly good in the pics. I'll post again here, when I get a closer look and a listen.
dt880smile.png

Wish me luck -- Hoping for the best!
popcorn.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At least one of the elastics is shot, so get your order in now
tongue.gif

Other than that, looks to be in great condition.

Certainly better condition than the other one that ended today... that one had one screwed up headband.

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

At least one of the elastics is shot, so get your order in now
tongue.gif

Other than that, looks to be in great condition.

Quite right! Although the sextetts are otherwise in very good condition, the elastics are shot. Can someone please point me to the P/N and contact info I will need to order a replacement set of elastics? Also, I have no idea how to go about taking the old ones off & putting new ones on, so I would appreciate any advice there. Finally, is there anything else I should check? Pads, headband, cable, screens, are all in good shape. I have not taken them apart yet (again, not sure how to do it), so I'm not sure what else to look for. All advice welcome.

edit: just found this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/tak...p-step-279905/

Still looking for the part number and ordering info... (or if anyone has an extra set of elastics they'd like to sell me, that'd be great too!).

Nov 7, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #8 of 12
The foam stuff inside the cups might be crumbly from age; if you shake it and stuff falls out it's time to replace it.
2040M0303 Rubber loop (elastic)
2073Z1502 Foam ring (foam inside cup)

You can get all the old part numbers from the K240 series service manual if you need anything else, and you should contact Frank at Harman for AKG parts.
EDIT: You should also contact Frank to make any orders for parts. Sometimes they're on backorder; the elastics usually aren't.

AKG contacts
Service manuals

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:46 AM Post #10 of 12
Nov 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidxtb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can anyone tell me the difference between the SEXTETT LP and MP?
i once had one pair yet the sound is not very good in spite of its good condition

Check the link in my signature.

Nov 11, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

The foam stuff inside the cups might be crumbly from age; if you shake it and stuff falls out it's time to replace it.
2040M0303 Rubber loop (elastic)
2073Z1502 Foam ring (foam inside cup)

You can get all the old part numbers from the K240 series service manual if you need anything else, and you should contact Frank at Harman for AKG parts.
EDIT: You should also contact Frank to make any orders for parts. Sometimes they're on backorder; the elastics usually aren't.

AKG contacts
Service manuals

Thanks, Fungi. I talked to Frank today, and he was very helpful. He noted that for the new parts system, we need to add a "0" (zero) to the end of thosae old part numbers. FYI, in case anyone else is looking to order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back