ebay nightmare, any help?
Oct 28, 2008 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
ok, so, I'm out of ideas here, and none of my friends (including one who runs a fledgling ebay business) have any ideas beyond what I've come up with and tried

here's basically the story:
I found something I wanted on ebay, an older Technics surround sound processor, I order it, the guy keeps screaming (in horrible broken english) that he won't ship to anything but a confirmed address, I inform him 3 or 4 times that I've moved and that address is no longer valid, he keeps yelling at me to pay and that he'll ship it to confirmed address

so I'm like, ok, whatever, we'll have the new people ship it ahead and it kind of sucks, I grumbled a little over the $25 shipping charge, but figured, ok, its kind of a big item, and its insured shipping, and I'm sure he's padded that figure a little anyways, but whatever

so, I get a call from the new tennant, that they got a slip for a package, I'd alerted them this was coming, they go to collect, this jack*** shipped it USPS MEDIA MAIL and there was a $21 charge waiting for them at the post office to collect the package (so now $46 in shipping)

they've mailed it ahead via fedex, it should arrive tomorrow (another $20), I already negative rep'd him on ebay, and opened a paypal case, his response was "I SHIP CONFIRM ADDRESS YOU FAIL UPDATE ME WITH NEW ADDRESS", so I escalated it, and paypal responds that the item showed shipped, and that they won't do anything about it as a result of that, so, aside from buying a plane ticket and getting a taxi to his return address (
evil_smiley.gif
), is there really anything I can do aside from just slander his name all over the internet?

I'm strongly considering calling Visa tomorrow morning and saying my CC was stolen again, and to hotcard it, it'll drop the charge and I know for a fact PayPal will be FURIOUS (i've heard they'll go as far as trying to sue people to get their money), however this seems like the only way to get anyone's attention in this situation, or should I just take it up the ass and accept that I've essentially paid $60 to ship something that only costs $19 to ship?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #2 of 20
If you still don't have the package, just file a chargeback but don't lie about it. Just say the seller was unscrupulous and an extortionist. You need to make the seller feel the same way, which is pissed off. Skip PayPal, they have no fiduciary power.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you still don't have the package, just file a chargeback but don't lie about it. Just say the seller was unscrupulous and an extortionist. You need to make the seller feel the same way, which is pissed off. Skip PayPal, they have no fiduciary power.

well, its supposedly going to arrive tomorrow via fedex from the previous tennants (who needless to say, aren't impressed)

but you're saying, if it doesn't arrive, or if it arrives in anything less than advertised (he said it was pristine), condition, just call Visa and let them do what they do so nicely with anti-fraud?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm strongly considering calling Visa tomorrow morning and saying my CC was stolen again, and to hotcard it, it'll drop the charge and I know for a fact PayPal will be FURIOUS (i've heard they'll go as far as trying to sue people to get their money), however this seems like the only way to get anyone's attention in this situation, or should I just take it up the ass and accept that I've essentially paid $60 to ship something that only costs $19 to ship?

I would not recommend committing fraud over this. Just IMHO.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would not recommend committing fraud over this. Just IMHO.

how is it fraud if I don't receive the item, or if the item comes as a piece of **** that doesn't work? (if he's willing to scam me on the shipping, what condition can I really believe this thing is in?)

I mean, if I get the thing, yeah, it sucks to eat $50-$60 in shipping costs because someone doesn't know how to wear big-boy pants, but if the thing is damaged or doesn't arrive (or arrives in pieces), is it really fraud to contact Visa and have them drop the hammer on this?

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 20
Whoa, if the package is in the tenets' hands then definitely don't do a chargeback. Otherwise, they would be fraud on your part. I misread thinking that the seller was sending it out again. You have to communicate with your party since you entrusted them to intercept the package.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 20
Better get used to the enlarged backside. Anything you do from here on will be essentially stomping on your own log - will cause you more trouble than it's worth. Sure, the guy is a twit, but you kind of asked for trouble with a change of address and not being confirmed.

Paypal works ok if there are no problems, but totally SUCKS if anything goes wrong. I've been waiting for 3 years now for a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer driver-think I'll ever get it? Ha Ha. Notified Paypal about 3 weeks after the deadbeat sale - they blew me off.

Just today, I sent a payment via Paypal and lost my connection before I got a confirmation. I waited about 15 minutes and tried to pay again - same thing. Now, I see that I've paid the guy twice and Paypal won't touch it. Good thing the seller is a good guy and will refund a payment, but I'll end up paying about $25 in fees.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better get used to the enlarged backside. Anything you do from here on will be essentially stomping on your own log - will cause you more trouble than it's worth. Sure, the guy is a twit, but you kind of asked for trouble with a change of address and not being confirmed.

Paypal works ok if there are no problems, but totally SUCKS if anything goes wrong. I've been waiting for 3 years now for a Martin Logan Descent subwoofer driver-think I'll ever get it? Ha Ha. Notified Paypal about 3 weeks after the deadbeat sale - they blew me off.

Just today, I sent a payment via Paypal and lost my connection before I got a confirmation. I waited about 15 minutes and tried to pay again - same thing. Now, I see that I've paid the guy twice and Paypal won't touch it. Good thing the seller is a good guy and will refund a payment.

well, at least i'm not the only one i guess
redface.gif

ugh, whatever, life keeps going, I just wish that at some point people that I'm forced to deal with on a daily basis actually showed up to be sized and receive their big-boy pants, I'm sick of boys in mens bodies...
angry_face.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #9 of 20
There is a 10 % - 15 % card carrying @$$hole factor in the human population, and another 30% wannabes. You struck gold with this one.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a 10 % - 15 % card carrying @$$hole factor in the human population, and another 30% wannabes. You struck gold with this one.

currently its more like 97% of all "men", really need to go back to middle school and get their big boy pants sized, and 99% of all "women", really need to go back to ????? and get themselves right

...I'm just sick of people not being able to conduct themselves proper, in short

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 20
Don't even think about fraudulently reporting the card as stolen. You may think it's no big deal, but the credit card companies are extremely vigilant with fraud, on either side of a transaction. You'll end up in trouble with the law. It's not worth it for this sum of money (or for any sum of money, quite frankly... the repercussions of a conviction will affect you for a very long time).

Oct 28, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't even think about fraudulently reporting the card as stolen. You may think it's no big deal, but the credit card companies are extremely vigilant with fraud, on either side of a transaction. You'll end up in trouble with the law. It's not worth it for this sum of money (or for any sum of money, quite frankly... the repercussions of a conviction will affect you for a very long time).

well, I wasn't going to fraudulently report it, I was going to contact Visa and tell them the charge is fraudulent, the last time a legitimate fraudulent charge appeared, they ID the card as stolen, even if it hasn't been

but, whatever, I'll just eat the charge, this prick wins today

Oct 28, 2008 at 8:10 AM Post #13 of 20
You should have told the post office to return the package when it arrived media mail. That is clearly not books. Then you could have started the refund process because he didn't deliver.

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have told the post office to return the package when it arrived media mail. That is clearly not books. Then you could have started the refund process because he didn't deliver.

did you even read the post?

I didn't pick the package up, he shipped it to another state, and this person was nice enough to go and get it, but they didn't call me when they got to the post office, just to let me know the shipping was jacked up

of course, if it had been me, it'dve gone back to him and I'd be sitting with my money, but he didn't ship it to me, he shipped it to another state, and then said thats also my fault, even when I gave him 3 separate chances to ship it to the right location

like I said, someone needs big boy pants

Oct 28, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #15 of 20
I've read this thread and while what the seller did wasn't exactly nice or ethical, you're hardly blameless. The fact that you didn't make sure your address is current, is a fairly large error on your part. Paypal only extends seller protection when shipping to the confirmed address so his insistence on maintaining that is, pretty understandable IMO.

At this point I'd just chalk it up as a loss on your part and as a lesson to make sure that all your information is accurate in the future. I really don't see how you would be able to recoup your money unless the seller agrees to refund you as I can't see how you would be able to. I suppose you could try to claim that using media mail to ship a non suitable item is fraudulent and use that as a basis but I really can't see getting much out of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back