Ebay CMoys/anyone willing to build a cmoy/mint for me
Feb 21, 2005 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mrboarderman

New Head-Fier
Anyone ever purchased a CMoy off of Ebay?

How is the quality?

If it is a bad idea to buy a cmoy off of ebay, anyone willing to build one for me(portable cmoy or mint)? It would be enjoyable for you and helpful to me.
eggosmile.gif

Thanks

Feb 21, 2005 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 13
If you ask me, the cmoys on ebays are pretty expensive considering the build quality. Most of them are on protoboards and don't even have volume control.

check this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

it is a MINT (tiny meta42). For $80 I think it's a pretty good price. It uses a rail splitter and buffers, unlike a basic cmoy. I bought one myself and the construction (soldering, assembly, etc) is very good! It's biased to class A using diodes but I have no clue what that means! no diodes in cmoys though
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

the cmoys on ebays are pretty expensive considering the build quality. Most of them are on protoboards and don't even have volume control.

The ebay cmoys do go for a bit sometimes (not always), but some actually do have nice build quality and use pro pcb's (i see more and more everytime).

Quote:

It's biased to class A using diodes but I have no clue what that means! no diodes in cmoys though

Most of the time cmoys aren't class a biased because of the extra current draw. Since these amps are mainly for portable use users want the most playing time possible, biasing only decreases it - however slight it may be.

A mint would sound better than a cmoy, but it is quite a bit more expensive than a standard cmoy (under $50, or $40 for that matter).

Ivan C.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm trying to find a ready-made decent battery powered with 1/4" output jack, and support for NIMH batteries due to lower voltages (several PP3, AA or AAA to the required voltage, one type of course) and enough "quality" for Grado RS-1's.

Can't seem to find any, except custom jobbie.

Feb 21, 2005 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 13
For the record, the guy (I think it's a guy) who does Rockhopper Audio is a Head-fi member. See this thread in mall-fi for more information.

From what I've seen Ivan builds a nice amp too.

Nate

Feb 22, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #8 of 13
I've bought more than a few off eBay. There are definite differences in build quality and component quality. The sound you hear is definitely related to these two things.

I have examples of a half dozen C-Moy/M.I.N.T/Meta types., Pimeta, Head Room and other solid states as well as 2 tube types. Of the C-moy types, I would pay a premium for anything made by Ivan or Mark (VoodooChile). There are a couple other builders too, but I don't know if they are members of Head-Fi.

I have a Super Mini Moy and a Custom Pimeta from Shellbrook Labs and they are superb. But you will pay a more. Drew Dunn is a member here as well.

With the exception of the Pimeta that I custom ordered , I got all my amps from eBay at what I think are very reasonable prices. Just my 2 cents - YMMV.

------- Tom

Feb 22, 2005 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
What's wrong with Maha batteries? my voltmeter says 10.45 volts. 9.6 volts for duracell.

errm what's MAHA?
confused.gif

Unless their are "special" rechargable batteries that are 1.5v/cell the totalled voltage will be lower than similar alkalines...(1.2 v 1.5 a cell)

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necros
errm what's MAHA?
confused.gif

Unless their are "special" rechargable batteries that are 1.5v/cell the totalled voltage will be lower than similar alkalines...(1.2 v 1.5 a cell)

MAHA is a brand of NiMH battery - a very good brand. They also make good chargers. I think their AA and AAA run at standard NiMH voltages but their 9V battery runs at 9.6V - most NiMH 9V types run at 8.4 volts. Excellent for portable op-amp based amplifiers.

Feb 22, 2005 at 8:49 PM Post #12 of 13
www.evilfire.com

I have one of his cMoy's (upgraded cMoy) and it's fantastic.

I bought it via eBay too...

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:14 PM Post #13 of 13
Does profingersk8r still build cmoy's? He had some really nice looking cmoy's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back