Easy CD-DA MP3 program
Jun 30, 2002 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eeyssjr

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondered if you guys can help.

I am trying to find the best program to rip mp3s on windows 2000.

I was using Easy CD-DA Extractor on my windows ME system, and it was blindingly fast. 20x rip direct to mp3.

Now i put it onto w2k, it rips at half that! For no apparent reason it is much sloer (same system by the way) i wiped ME and installed w2k.

Basically, do you guys know why this might be? Or can you suggest any better programs which also have freedb, cddb?

Thanks alot,
Stephen

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 9
I'd suggest you check out one of the LAME based encoders...try CDEX for example. Even though it seems to have trouble with Win2k according to the notes, I've got it working ok here with Win2K. Go figure. Great UI, good options, great sounding encoding, IMO.

Turtle Beach AudioStation uses LAME as well, and there is a decent windows front end for LAME called WinLame. There are links on the LAME project homepage, http://www.mp3dev.org/mp3/.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks alot.

But i am using LAME 3.92 already, just as was the case whn my system ran windws ME. There is no difference in the setup, so why now 50% the speed on windows 2000??

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by eeyssjr
I am using LAME 3.92 already, just as was the case whn my system ran windws ME. There is no difference in the setup, so why now 50% the speed on windows 2000??

Hmm...that is a tougher question. I suppose the likeliest places to look would be:

1. Virtual memory settings on the System Control panel.

2. Is your "Performance Options" in the Advanced tab of System cp set to "Applications" or "Background"?

3. Did you change file systems? e.g., to NTFS? should you?

4. Do you possibly need to defragment your drive? Opsys's can slow down when system files get fragmented?

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Basically, this is not a trivial reduction in performance. Were talking the CD-ROm not even spinning up to max speed.

Defragging the harddrive bring medioce performace gain, but in this case its not even ripping right.

My suspicion is a aspi drivers problem, but i dont know where to get the latest aspis for w2k or where they should live on my system??

Many thanks for your help. I can tell this is a more severe issue than changing some system settings etc.

Jun 30, 2002 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 9
Well, yes, but never underestimate the impact of trivial settings or fragmentation on Windows IO.
eek.gif

The CDEx home page has links to ASPI drivers for Win2k along with some technotes about ASPI conflicts. You might start at that link above and see if that leads you in the right direction.

Jul 1, 2002 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 9
I believe i owe you an AngusMcToon.

what i had overlooked, in my insane rage and pissed offness, was to install the VIA drivers for my motherboard.

It seems that once i had done this, things speeded up back to normal (still not as fast as i'd like but hey, at least like it was
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I think this amount to system setting, and therefore you were right. A bunch of drivers were missing for windows to know how best to use system busses.

I am going to check out the CDex page a bit more to read on aspi, and also check out this monkey codec thingy. Is it fast??

Anyone got their hands on Franuhofer's FastEnc as a dll??? I'd like to try this, as MUSICMATCH used it and was lightening, really was. ripped at 25x on my system (straight to mp3). I was not sure which dll was the codec under musicmatch directory, so didn't try it out. Since unistalled it, but has anyone got codec which they think are well quick?

Cheers
Stephen

Jul 23, 2002 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 9
Also, don't forget to see if DMA mode is enabled for all the drives, including the CD drive.
(check in device manager/properties for your VIA IDE controller)

Jul 28, 2002 at 8:59 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by eeyssjr
Just wondered if you guys can help.

I am trying to find the best program to rip mp3s on windows 2000.

I was using Easy CD-DA Extractor on my windows ME system, and it was blindingly fast. 20x rip direct to mp3.

Now i put it onto w2k, it rips at half that! For no apparent reason it is much sloer (same system by the way) i wiped ME and installed w2k.

Basically, do you guys know why this might be? Or can you suggest any better programs which also have freedb, cddb?

Thanks alot,
Stephen

I can tell you right away that 20X is not a realistic ripping speed for many of us. Far from accurate speeds, even less with Easy CD-DA.
Get EAC, it's the most secure AudioExtractor there is out there and there are many other functions.
With EAC you will probably never get any 20X, but depending on your drive's accuracy: ~10X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back