EarWerkz Legend R. 8 Driver, 7-Way, 6-Crossover Flagship | discussion thread
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #151 of 306
I thought I'd share this post form the BTG-Audio cable discussion thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/628220/btg-audio-cable-impressions-reviews-and-discussion-sunrise-starlight-fitear/105#quick-reply-editor):

Here are some pics of my EarWerkz Legend with the Starlight cable; it looks and sounds fantastic.  The Legend is very sensitive to increased impedance and the higher the resistance, the more it slightly reduces treble presence.  The Starlight cable must be the lowest resistance cable I've used because the Legend's treble performance is clearly best with the Starlight, sounding crisper, more present and more articulate. With the now sleeker, lower profile Y-splt, I can't recommend this cable enough.  It has a permanent home on the Legend.

I can't recommend this cable enough for the Legend and have given Jack plenty and earful about it.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #152 of 306
Are you going to CanJam next month, shotgunshane? If so, I would like to listen to your cables that you use with the Legend R, if you don't mind. I'm certain that I will be able to listen to a plethora of cables when I am there, but it would be nice to listen to the BTG Starlight and others you have, as it is not a 100% fact that those cables will be available for demo at CanJam.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #153 of 306
Are you going to CanJam next month, @shotgunshane? If so, I would like to listen to your cables that you use with the Legend R, if you don't mind. I'm certain that I will be able to listen to a plethora of cables when I am there, but it would be nice to listen to the BTG Starlight and others you have, as it is not a 100% fact that those cables will be available for demo at CanJam.

I wish I could attend.  We've only had one decent show, Canlanta, come through Atlanta, (that I know of) the last few years.  It was a lot of fun but fairly small and I'd like to get out to one of the bigger shows sometime.

Feb 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #154 of 306
I wish I could attend.  We've only had one decent show, Canlanta, come through Atlanta, (that I know of) the last few years.  It was a lot of fun but fairly small and I'd like to get out to one of the bigger shows sometime.

Thanks for letting me know, and it's unfortunate you aren't able to go to CanJam.

I was interested in listening to the BTG, so I inquired and Jack said he is considering other cable company partnerships. If his choice(s) are anything like the stock Pro Series cable, we should be in great hands.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #155 of 306

i see you owned the K3003 - how do these stand in comparison ?

Hey sorry I somehow totally missed this question initially. I believe @shotgunshane also has experience with the AKG K3003 and can probably expound on this better than I can. I sold them a couple months ago, but from memory the K3003 wasn't as intimate as the Legend R with a slightly larger soundstage. The AKG was a cooler sound signature that was also a bit dry in everything but the bass section thanks to the dynamic driver it utilizes. I think the K3003 was more "neutral" compared to the Legend R, but I found it lacking in dynamics with fatiguing treble. The Legend R has more natural and better overall timbre as well as superior detail retrieval.

Overall, I think the AKG is an excellent IEM and worthy of TOTL status, it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #156 of 306
  yeah, that definitely gives a clearer picture.  but then a lot of other people are saying that the midrange is where the phone is at its best, so the slight dip in the upper mid/lower treble doesn't quite make sense.  but i guess everyone's ears are different.  once again, thank you for doing some critical analysis on my behalf.

on a different topic, i know earwerkz wanted to pair a silver dragon v1 with the phone.  i did a quick search, and it seems that the cable tightens up the bass and opens the treble slightly.  for me, i think this is the signature i'm looking for.  it seems like it does the same thing as the stock cable (albeit better?).  does anyone have experience with the pairing, and since there appears to be "insiders" with earwerkz here (and lord knows i appreciate you guys have that status), are there plans to move forward with that partnership?

The lower/middle midrange is fine. A bit forward, actually, and clear and even. It's the upper midrange, which some people call the lower treble, that has a clear dip.

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #157 of 306
  The lower/middle midrange is fine. A bit forward, actually, and clear and even. It's the upper midrange, which some people call the lower treble, that has a clear dip.

Speculation here, but I'm wondering if that's why I don't find the Legend R fatiguing in the least? Normally I find that that area of the sound signature in IEMs ends up making me flinch, but all I get is clarity and details without the discomfort.

Also, I'm tempted to try the K10 out of sheer curiosity based on the universal praise it's receiving, but every time I put in the Legend R I just think "how could it get better than this?"

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #158 of 306
  I thought I'd share this post form the BTG-Audio cable discussion thread (http://www.head-fi.org/t/628220/btg-audio-cable-impressions-reviews-and-discussion-sunrise-starlight-fitear/105#quick-reply-editor):

I can't recommend this cable enough for the Legend and have given Jack plenty and earful about it.

I bet it's more than just resistance. Some combos just sing nice harmonies and it feels oh so nice when you come across them. That said, the BAX is noted for extra resistance but I bet most of your aftermarket cables are as low and the Starlight. I measured my not heavy gauge hybrid cable and it only had 0.2 ohms per leg. Stock cables are typically below .8 total for both legs of a channel combined. That may be enough for subtle difference.
 It's great you found something so reasonable that voices well. I'd jump on it if I owned or had a Legend on the way. As I think you know, there's no 'best' cable. Just best for an application.
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #159 of 306
yeah, sub $100 for an aftermarket cable that apparently brings out the best (for me, making it slightly brighter) of the -R is pretty darn great.  shane, is the cable microphonic at all?

so i'm pretty set on getting the -R.  i may order as soon as next week.  is the order of events: order > get impressions or get impressions > order?  I would assume its the former.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #160 of 306
I've heard of people doing it either way :)

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #161 of 306
  yeah, sub $100 for an aftermarket cable that apparently brings out the best (for me, making it slightly brighter) of the -R is pretty darn great.  shane, is the cable microphonic at all?

so i'm pretty set on getting the -R.  i may order as soon as next week.  is the order of events: order > get impressions or get impressions > order?  I would assume its the former.

For me microphonics are very minimal, and that's shaking my head all around, trying to make noise.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #163 of 306
Been listening to the Legend R a lot at work today. Continually impresses me how chameleon-like it can be. Was listening to Mac Miller earlier, and the LR delivered some great bass thumping bass with decent reverb, and articulation with his vocals is superb. Now I'm listening to a Jeff Beck album and some Screaming Trees tracks and it's impressive how well the guitars and vocals are layered with such great detail, separation and accurate timbre. I really don't know how an IEM could be better than this.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #164 of 306
  Been listening to the Legend R a lot at work today. Continually impresses me how chameleon-like it can be. Was listening to Mac Miller earlier, and the LR delivered some great bass thumping bass with decent reverb, and articulation with his vocals is superb. Now I'm listening to a Jeff Beck album and some Screaming Trees tracks and it's impressive how well the guitars and vocals are layered with such great detail, separation and accurate timbre. I really don't know how an IEM could be better than this.

Have you encountered an elevation in audio quality with regards to burn-in and the Legend R?  You already know how I feel about that. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #165 of 306
So far I have roughly 200+ hours as I've been listening to them a LOT and left them burning in overnight for the first couple weeks or so I had them.

I think the biggest thing I've noticed with burn in is that there was a treble peak that seems to have tamed significantly. For example, on Jeff Beck's version of "You Shook Me" there was some shimmery piano that sounded really sharp. This was the case on all my headphones (the original mastering of the album "Truth" seems pretty uneven), but has gotten a lot better with time on the Legend R. On a lesser note, but still noticeable to me is that the bass is much fuller than it was brand new. I think the increased separation I'm hearing is more brain burn-in, as is the mid-based vocals filling out, but I definitely agree they've gotten better with a lot of use.

The Legend R are just stunningly musical and detailed even when I actively try to "break" them. I still can't believe how an IEM can be both so smooth and so detailed at the same time. I've tried listening to some really thick, congested, complicated tracks which can really create a sloppy mess on a lot of IEMs, and yet on the Legend it's still easy to pick out specific instruments and hone in on a particular melody or riff that might be buried otherwise, all while creating a full, coherent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back