Earwax
Jan 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

jaksun

New Head-Fier
i kindof got to think of something when i saw the handle "earwax" on the forum, what about earwax? It to must have some impact on our perception of audio, i am kindof surprised to not have seen a thread "how do i wash my ears properly to get the best audio perception" :p

The general hifi population is so concerned about getting the most out of their equipment, but have our own ears been forgotten in this "quest for audio nirvana"?

All and all it comes down to how our ears receive and interprets the soundwaves right? so should not "proper ear maintenence" be a big concern for audiophiles?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #4 of 38
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

As mentioned above, a quick search would have revived multiple threads about having clean ears and how to clean them.

Jan 4, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

As mentioned above, a quick search would have revived multiple threads about having clean ears and how to clean them.

Oh thanx!

Yeah, i feel stupid, next time i have an absurd question i will search first, i wont be naive and think "this must be the first time a question like this is posted on head-fi"
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaksun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh thanx!

Yeah, i feel stupid, next time i have an absurd question i will search first, i wont be naive and think "this must be the first time a question like this is posted on head-fi"
wink.gif

No worries, we all do it from time to time. Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet.

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaksun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh thanx!

wink.gif

No worries, neighbor!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #10 of 38
I'd recommend going to your doctor and having them flush your ears once a year or once every other year..

At some point I briefly went deaf in one year but not deaf all the way. It was very freaky so I went into the doctor and they flushed both my ears. It was a very enjoyable experience and the crap that came out was quite remarkable in how much of it was there (Brains + Wax?? Dunno).

Anyways since then I haven't gone back yet though I kind of want to. I mostly get by with a earspoon similar to what Tyll linked and Deborox (This was recommended to me by the doctor and they said periodic use would save me from the insane buildup that happened before... though it wouldn't have done crap versus the omega build up).

Jan 17, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 38
You're not supposed to remove the earwax that lines the deep insides of your ear... Its a natural secretion that protects your ear from infection. At most, just take a q-tip and clean around the outside of your ear, but definitely don't shove it down your ear, because then you're just shoving more wax down into your ear canal and making it more clogged + more prone to infection.

Most people will find it gross, but I just use my pinky finger and just scrape around the outside of my ear canal to get out the earwax that has naturally been pushed out.

Jan 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM Post #13 of 38
I just got an infection just for doing this ^^^^^^^^ I was paranoid about having yellow in my ear and used tip daily, way too deep in my ear.

Adding the use of IEM I was also pushing too hard inside my ear to get a better seal rather than finding the right tips.

I learned the hard way ....

Jan 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 38
When I was younger I couldn't hear well, I had problems with my ear. Not exactly sure what... My parents took me to the doctor to get my ears cleaned with water, flushed I guess you would call it. All I remember is my mother crying because there was blood on the q-tip after they flushed my ear. I'm 25 now and can hear well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 38
having Earwax prevents Hearing fatigue also btw...it reduces the vibration of hairs in the ear canal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back