EarSonics' two flagships: the universal S-EM9, and new custom EM10.
Dec 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #376 of 1,260
After reading so many reviews of the Velvets I think I should've heard about the horrible sibilance by now
blink.gif

Disappointing to read about. Have any of you reporting sibilance with the Velvet and SM9 heard the SM1 by chance? Have had no such issues with those. in spite of being rather cold/flat sig to my ears. Perhaps it is a fit depth and tip issue as with so many other earphones? Got them used so I've only ever used Westone replacement tips with them.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #378 of 1,260
  I think according to the graph, the upper midrange dip refers to the 5 khz spectrum and is specifically to reduce sibilance, another trademark of ES, although the upper midrange is forward and exciting. Alltogether, the S-EM9 does not have a great deal of sibilance and is much smoother than the Velvet. I will do some testing for treble energy later on. But it suffices to say the S-EM9 is not a 'horrible sibilating earphone' 
wink.gif

+1, I am sensitive to sibilance and I have owned IEMS that are not highly sibilant but annoyed me in that department like IE800 and to a lesser SE846 but neither the Velvet and certainly not the S-EM9 have exhibited any sibilance that I can ear. Of course YMMV.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #379 of 1,260
No sibilance whatsoever. Beautifully extended airy highs.

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #380 of 1,260
  After reading so many reviews of the Velvets I think I should've heard about the horrible sibilance by now
blink.gif

Disappointing to read about. Have any of you reporting sibilance with the Velvet and SM9 heard the SM1 by chance? Have had no such issues with those. in spite of being rather cold/flat sig to my ears. Perhaps it is a fit depth and tip issue as with so many other earphones? Got them used so I've only ever used Westone replacement tips with them.

Velvet and s-em9 zero sibilance , I have both. change your tips , İf you are using wrong tips , This will effect iem . I have also westone tips but I never used to with velvet or s-em9 , spinfits , rha tips or sony hybrid much more great with them. Accually best sound with velvet their gray double flange but not fit for everyone.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #381 of 1,260
Okay, let me explain in more detail what I want to say :) I have not heard S-EM9 so I won't say anything abou them but that's a "ring" that we already have 1 guy here who says that they are overly bright. As for Velvet what I meant is more brightness than sibilance(even though sibilance is easily noticable for me) on all modes except warm but on warm mode bass overpoweres everything else and there is simply too much of it.

Everyone hear things differently and here is how Velvet sound for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGAyw907LJU
or this 
https://youtu.be/8KkBSby7Yiw?t=17s

This video will tell much more than any of my words. This video = Velvet sound. Every song in Velvet makes it's high mids/highs to DING-DING-DING which for me is annoying as hell.

I hope it's not the same in S-EM9. I am big Earsonics fan but I like smooth, coherent, musical sound and I am even okay to sacrifice some details to the better overall coherence and musicality.

Anyway, I am derailing this thread as I still won't be able to afford S-EM9 anytime soon. I guess Velvet were my last Earsonics earphones :) Ive had SM64 even 2 times before them :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #382 of 1,260
What's your source LMka? I am an extreme upper mid (hihat etc) hater and I am using velvet with mojo. Linum cable also. In this setup treble or upper mid never bothers me.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #384 of 1,260
Velvets are never sibilant. People don't know what they are hearing. They are definitely bright and energetic though.

Dec 14, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #386 of 1,260
I expect to get mine in 2 days time from Amazon.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #387 of 1,260

Anyway, I am derailing this thread as I still won't be able to afford S-EM9 anytime soon. I guess Velvet were my last Earsonics earphones :) Ive had SM64 even 2 times before them :)

I've had SM64 for one year and have had the Velvet for a month. I don't find that much of a difference in the highs between them based on my listening memory.

Neither is sibilant to me but have not really bothered to compared 1:1. Just sit back and enjoy. 

Dec 16, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #388 of 1,260
  Treble is indeed smoother; in fact I find the treble outstanding. It is sparkly, controlled and smooth. With forward I'm just referring to its presence, high hats are accentuated with instrument-based music, with EDM tones are clear and in the foreground.

Well recessed has a strong negative connotation and applies mostly to the mid/upper mids I think. There are only a few iems with great lower midrange presence like the Heir 8.A and Zeus, which follows a very enhanced midbass. The Solar finds a nice balance, while in iems as the AR6, Velvet and S-EM9 it is very distant and doesn't fill up the midrange as much. As a consequence, male vocals sound less warm and deep as they could.

Aurisonics 2.5 might be good fit for that list too... I'm not a super attentive listener but in the past few years I've tried a lot of IEMs and in my recollection they had the fullest male vox I've encounterd... of course that same property made me feel a little claustrophobic at tvimes
ph34r.gif

From what I've read it's a trick (a dip in the lower mid range) that's now commonly used to produce better soundstage... learning every day... I've paid more attention and you're right about that dip. I guess many IEMs I have owned have used this trick so I might be biased toward not noticing it...

Of interest is also the fact that listening fatigue can be attributed to the lower midrange, explaining why the S-EM9 is fatigue free. It would also explain why the S-EM9 is forgiving, apparently the lower midrange is challenging in terms of mastering (interresting read : Understanding the low mid-range).

Edit : Hmmm, apparently my standard cable has issues already and I am always extra careful, sound is cutting when I move... luckily the Whiplash should arrive monday, I'll return the earsonics for a swap it shouldn't happen and never did for me.

Maybe that explains it, lol... really interesting link. I need to read more stuff like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back