Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #1,621 of 1,656
I bought a pair of these from Amazon from a seller called MusicTeck who claims to be an authorised dealer in the US however after receiving the product I suspect that it's counterfeit. Upon receiving the product, I immediately noticed the packaging was different from what I've seen. The font looks a little blurry and came in a white box instead of the black box I've been seeing users post online. The cable was also grey instead of black and the headphone jack also doesn't look authentic. The cables seem too light as well. As for the sound quality, the sound is poor and does not seem like a USD400 dollar product. Bass is weak and overall no brightness or spark in the sound. Soundstage is almost non-existent. Last but not least, there is no warranty card in the box and when I asked the seller they said it doesn't come with a warranty card. I wish I could post photos to share but I'm new to this forum and can't start a new thread. Has anyone dealt with MusicTeck in the US or share any experiences regarding fake Earsonics products?

I haven't had the sm64 but Earsonics did used to use white boxes on the SM series- and even their most expensive IEMs come with a generic basic stock cable. I haven't seen anything bad about MusicTeck who distribute a few other brands known here like Cayin. Hopefully you can manage a return being so unhappy.

Just curious what are you listening from and other IEMs in comparison? That might help others identify any issue as well.

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #1,623 of 1,656
Hey guys I just got my SM64 from massdrop. Before these I've only had a pair of ath-50x for 2 years, and a pair of shure se215 that I crushed on a flight :frowning2: .

Just wanted to comment that compared to my headphones, the ath-m50x these sound a bit muffled? Sorry I'm new and idk how to describe a lot of sounds. It's just on my headphone the vocals sound super clear, albeit a bit more recessed in the background, and on the sm64s everything seems sound more intense. The bass is also a bit better on the ath-m50s, it seems to be tighter than the sm64s. However even with all the "faults" some how I find it so much easier to just immerse myself into the music when listening to the sm64s.

Btw I listened to all of them from my LG G5. Would using a portable dac/amp like the fiio q10 make any difference? I usually listen to music on pretty low volumes.

One question though, the stock foam tips don't fit me at all, I just switched to Shure yellow foams and they fit and sound way better already. What other foam tips do you guys recommend for? I have relatively large ear canals which basically means I can never get a proper seal with any silicon tips.

Mar 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,624 of 1,656
The M50X has aggressive, biting treble. You are used to this. It only makes sense that it will take some time for your brain to adjust to something a bit smoother and more relaxed.

Don't judge the SM64 too harshly for a week or two. Let your brain grow used to the new sound. Later, if you still think it's too muffled, then I'd consider looking elsewhere.

Mar 19, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,625 of 1,656
The M50X has aggressive, biting treble. You are used to this. It only makes sense that it will take some time for your brain to adjust to something a bit smoother and more relaxed.

Don't judge the SM64 too harshly for a week or two. Let your brain grow used to the new sound. Later, if you still think it's too muffled, then I'd consider looking elsewhere.

I think I quite enjoy the sound. It's different from headphones but I can get used to the iem sound. Do you have any recommendations for ear tips tho? The yellow foamies are nice but they lose their shape too easily

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #1,626 of 1,656
I think I quite enjoy the sound. It's different from headphones but I can get used to the iem sound. Do you have any recommendations for ear tips tho? The yellow foamies are nice but they lose their shape too easily

If you like foam, check out the various options from Comply.

Personally, I don't use foam tips. I never did like them. My favorite are the JVC Spiral Dots. Those work great on every IEM I own.

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #1,627 of 1,656

Personally, I don't use foam tips. I never did like them. My favorite are the JVC Spiral Dots. Those work great on every IEM I own.

I owned these for 2 and half years, I used them everyday before upgrading to the Audiofly AF-1120 6 driver. These are great IEMs that are smooth, detailed, good stage width, nice bass for a BA driver, does have a rolled off treble and dip in the higher frequencies to tame any brightness, but brightness can also be great thing from an earphone when done well. Just depends on preferences. 

I highly suggest staying away from Comply foam tips and go with spiral dots or what I used the Westone Star tips silicone. 
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Westone-Universal-Earphones-Monitors/dp/B00DBADI32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489962685&sr=8-2&keywords=westone%2Bstar%2Btips&th=1     this is the packs of one size if you know your size like small, medium, large, x small. Now if you dont or your not sure just check amazon for westone star tips and you will see variety packs. Hope this helps

Mar 19, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #1,628 of 1,656

I owned these for 2 and half years, I used them everyday before upgrading to the Audiofly AF-1120 6 driver. These are great IEMs that are smooth, detailed, good stage width, nice bass for a BA driver, does have a rolled off treble and dip in the higher frequencies to tame any brightness, but brightness can also be great thing from an earphone when done well. Just depends on preferences. 

I highly suggest staying away from Comply foam tips and go with spiral dots or what I used the Westone Star tips silicone. 
https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Westone-Universal-Earphones-Monitors/dp/B00DBADI32/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489962685&sr=8-2&keywords=westone%2Bstar%2Btips&th=1     this is the packs of one size if you know your size like small, medium, large, x small. Now if you dont or your not sure just check amazon for westone star tips and you will see variety packs. Hope this helps

Thanks guys, I never really gave silicon tips a good chance, but I'm gonna try them this time

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #1,630 of 1,656
I bought a pair of these from Amazon from a seller called MusicTeck who claims to be an authorised dealer in the US however after receiving the product I suspect that it's counterfeit. Upon receiving the product, I immediately noticed the packaging was different from what I've seen. The font looks a little blurry and came in a white box instead of the black box I've been seeing users post online. The cable was also grey instead of black and the headphone jack also doesn't look authentic. The cables seem too light as well. As for the sound quality, the sound is poor and does not seem like a USD400 dollar product. Bass is weak and overall no brightness or spark in the sound. Soundstage is almost non-existent. Last but not least, there is no warranty card in the box and when I asked the seller they said it doesn't come with a warranty card. I wish I could post photos to share but I'm new to this forum and can't start a new thread. Has anyone dealt with MusicTeck in the US or share any experiences regarding fake Earsonics products?

I can wholeheartedly recommend MusicTeck. No I have not dealt with a fake Earsonics product.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #1,635 of 1,656
Hi guys. Been a long time follower of head-fi. Lately, the volume on the left ear for the Sm64 has been going lower against the right ear. I've tried different cables in the stores in HK and different sources (laptop, LG v20 and chord mojo). The result is still the same. There is a sound imbalance.

It seems like it's failing and I'm out of warranty for the pair.

I normally listen to acoustic, EDM and rap music. I enjoyed the sm64 although quite a few times, I wish it was better at engaging me with some of my acoustic, instrumentals and vocal music selection.

My question is: Are there any other options in fixing it or would the velvet v2 be a good upgrade based on my music preferences ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back