Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #1,441 of 1,656
  That's odd - mine are pretty tight in this regard - I can easily listen at fairly standard volume at night in bed without my partner getting pissed off with me. And she's the sort that would get annoyed *ducks flying frying pan which consequently smashes computer screen*

Problem is that I like to listen to my music slightly louder than average and the library can be completely quiet sometimes. The isolation great, but the sound leakage is preventing me using them at my preferred volume.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,442 of 1,656
Same here, listen to bed, don't get complaints from the wife, and she'd let me know (and has) when it is affecting the beauty rest...
Must not have the fit/seal in good, seems to me.

Feb 18, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,443 of 1,656
Yeah, fit is hit-or-miss for me w/ the SM64.  I LOVE the sound WHEN I get good good fit, but it's so uneven for me otherwise.  Thus, I will be placing my SM64 in the for sale forum soon since I've used them sparingly at most over the last year or so..

I'm tempted to try the Velvets, but I just don't think this style of IEM build works for me fit-wise.  I never used to think I have weird ears, LOL.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #1,444 of 1,656
Hey team, will an iphone 6 do a good enough job powering the sm64? if not, is there a good portable amp i could pair it with? i've never had the need for a portable amp with my previous iems, so i'd love the advice! thanks :)

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #1,445 of 1,656
  Yeah, fit is hit-or-miss for me w/ the SM64.  I LOVE the sound WHEN I get good good fit, but it's so uneven for me otherwise.  Thus, I will be placing my SM64 in the for sale forum soon since I've used them sparingly at most over the last year or so..

I'm tempted to try the Velvets, but I just don't think this style of IEM build works for me fit-wise.  I never used to think I have weird ears, LOL.

It's the opposite for me. I've always disliked wearing IEMs because traditional IEMs made my ears uncomfortable. I thought this type of IEMs would be worse but in fact it really works well with my relatively small ears.

Hey team, will an iphone 6 do a good enough job powering the sm64? if not, is there a good portable amp i could pair it with? i've never had the need for a portable amp with my previous iems, so i'd love the advice! thanks :)

I tried European iPhone 6 and it couldn't drive SM64 well, just not loud enough and it lacked dynamics. American iPhone has a more powerful output though so it may work better. 

The smallest and most convenient portable amp is Beyerdynamic A200P, I think.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/a-200-p-us.html

Alternatively you could buy Centrance's upcoming product but it's not in production yet.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hifi-skyn-iphone-case-made-for-music

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #1,448 of 1,656

Thanks, I kinda suspect that the song you linked sounds great with every earphone lol, I listened to them with my Havi b3 and it sounds very good. Anyways, I am looking forward to the SM64.

Because where the SM64 has a small dip, the B3ProI has a mild bump :) Prolly you wont get better female voices on SM64 than the Havi. Maybe just a tad clearer because of the BAs. But maybe a little recessed comparing to the Havi. Just a guess (or a question i'm making here), I don't own the SM64.

Hm... wouldn't the slight bump around 1 kHz of the SM64 have more impact on female vocals than the "mild bump" in the harmonics (around 5 kHz?) of the B3ProI? I'm not implying anything; it's an open question, but considering that the highest fundamental frequencies ever sung by a soprano never exceeds approx. 1 kHz wouldn't that have more impact than those subtle harmonics up in the stratosphere? I may be completely wrong about this, but the question intrigues me.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #1,449 of 1,656
  So I finally got these day today and they sound great! I need more time for an accurate evaluation though. Now I would describe as "natural" and "realistic". 

One annoying thing though. It seems that these really leak a lot of sound, I was listening to them in the library today and people were looking at me when I turned the sound louder ....

I never noticed they were leaking, doesn't mean they don't because I have no one around me (silent enough - kids never are) to let me know. Anyway, be careful with them ears of yours! Remember, you've only got one pair. I abused my hearing when I was young and now suffer from both tinnitus (Morse codes, humming refrigerator, sighings, sinus tones in various frequencies, etc.) and some hearing loss on my left ear. Not worth it, trust me!!!

EDIT: Just saw the other posts about tip fit. My advice, do look into it very, very carefully! Speaking about fit, I just wrote this post about it today (not that I think you need it, but hopefully it won't hurt either).

Feb 21, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,450 of 1,656
  Hm... wouldn't the slight bump around 1 kHz of the SM64 have more impact on female vocals than the "mild bump" in the harmonics (around 5 kHz?) of the B3ProI? I'm not implying anything; it's an open question, but considering that the highest fundamental frequencies ever sung by a soprano never exceeds approx. 1 kHz wouldn't that have more impact than those subtle harmonics up in the stratosphere? I may be completely wrong about this, but the question intrigues me.

Vocals are definitely way better on the SM64, dunno about the whole frequency stuff, but they seem slightly more thick and warm on the SM64, which I enjoy.

It doesn't sound at all! That is, unless you listen sinus waves instead of music? It affects sound of course, but in a way that it was meant to. Good luck with your purchase!

Yeah I am not noticing it, maybe it results into the relative smoothness of the SM64, which I don't mind.
  I never noticed they were leaking, doesn't mean they don't because I have no one around me (silent enough - kids never are) to let me know. Anyway, be careful with them ears of yours! Remember, you've only got one pair. I abused my hearing when I was young and now suffer from both tinnitus (Morse codes, humming refrigerator, sighings, sinus tones in various frequencies, etc.) and some hearing loss on my left ear. Not worth it, trust me!!!

EDIT: Just saw the other posts about tip fit. My advice, do look into it very, very carefully! Speaking about fit, I just wrote this post about it today (not that I think you need it, but hopefully it won't hurt either).

They definitely leak more than my other phones. I am noticing it when I am trying to suppress the sound by covering the nozzle. While my other phones become quiter, the soundleakage on the sm64 doesn't seem to be affected by it.

Thanks I will keep your advice in mind! Gonna take even more care about my ears in the future, having a experienced adult telling you can really be helpful. I hope your issues will get better in the future!

I got the Westone Star tips for now for and they sound much better than with stock tips. Thanks for the help!

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,453 of 1,656

Users who are viewing this thread

Back