Earsonics SM3v2: Really crappy bass on iPod
Feb 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

YeNotGuilty

New Head-Fier
So I recently bought some SM3v2's according to some advice I had received on a thread I made and some research.

Everything seemed to be going well with them until I decided to try something.

I switched the EQ from "off" on my iPod classis to "Electronic" and all of the sudden it sounded like a blownout speaker/subwoofer would sound at higher volumes.

I would think that IEM's this expensive would be able to handle the Electronic EQ on a iPod.... what's the deal? They sound like total **** and sound blown?

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 6
They're triple driver... they're not being given enough current out of just an iPod...

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 6
Ahhh crap..... can you point me to the most relevant portable amp these days..... :frowning2:

Feb 28, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 6
Maybe it could be due to impedance output from iPod. It´s about 5 ohm and as SM3 impedance is 32 ohm, so you need a smaller output impedance from your source to drive BA properly. 

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Maybe it could be due to impedance output from iPod. It´s about 5 ohm and as SM3 impedance is 32 ohm, so you need a smaller output impedance from your source to drive BA properly. 

You're right about the iPod's impedance, but it is unlikely to be the cause. Firstly because this mismatch usually causes a dip in response in the upper mids to lower trebles, not bass distortion. Secondly, the description sounds like bass clipping, which is what you'd expect of a bassy EQ setting with an underpowered source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back