Earsonics sm3 V2
May 25, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #198 of 1,167
^^ Impressions?? 
ksc75smile.gif

May 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #201 of 1,167

Quote:
They look great 
biggrin.gif

Seriously thinking about getting some of these. Interested to hear your thoughts.

I'll do that in a couple days or so. The added benefit of the custom earmolds will certainly help (and I had the bore widened to 3mm, the same as the sensorcom tips everybody loves for its clarity).

May 25, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #203 of 1,167

Quote:
I'll do that in a couple days or so. The added benefit of the custom earmolds will certainly help (and I had the bore widened to 3mm, the same as the sensorcom tips everybody loves for its clarity).

Cool Congratulations!!! These are really Intriguing. Almost looks a little like a Westone body? Can;t really tell tho

May 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #204 of 1,167

Quote:
Cool Congratulations!!! These are really Intriguing. Almost looks a little like a Westone body? Can;t really tell tho

It almost looks like the Westone with the first look.

I have the Westone W4 and when you compare them closely, there are quite some differences. SM3 v2 is actually bigger than the W4, and the latter is also more streamline in the casing, making the W4 more comfortable to wear. 

For the manufacturing quality and the material of the plastic casing, W4 also outperforms SM3 v2.

Regarding sound quality, W4 which had been run in for about 80+ hours is more balanced in all frequencies, treble is extended, mids are smooth, bass is refined, controlled with great quantity. 
SM3 v2, which had been run in for around 8 hours, is still not stable, with treble a bit sharp, mids are fine, with enormous amount of bass, but not controlled and does cover the other frequencies.

Having said that, I do think SM3 v2 has a very good potential as it has good soundstage and clarity. I think it is only about time that SM3 v2 can keep up with the W4, when all the 3 balanced armatures are run in properly.
etysmile.gif

Another thing is that the plug of SM3 v2, although is L angled, the head is way too big. I had a problem to plug it directly into the iPhone 4 headphone out with her silicone case on, so I have to take off the case of my iPhone to use it on my iPhone. The same happens when I plug it directly into my iPod Nano with the USB cable beside it, you just cannot do it because of the big footprint of the plug. FYI, the plug is actually the same used in Etymotic ER-4 earphones.

But one thing SM3 v2 surely beats W4 though is the ability to change cable
bigsmile_face.gif

May 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #205 of 1,167
Thank you for your Impressions/information. I just mentioned in another thread that so many Headfiers and other reviewers feel strongly that the SM3's take a little while to mature. Looking forward to more impressions

May 25, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #206 of 1,167
I think it's a known fact that BAs don't burn-in much if any. Certain manufacturers have stated that their BAs  don't require burn-in at all while others say there's minimal burn in the cables/crossovers (and thats up in the air to some extent). Dynamics on the other hand are a completely different story. I think it's the SM3s unique signature that requires some mental burn-in and this is a matter that is very hard to measure so it's sometimes attributed to the drivers. 

May 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #207 of 1,167
Where did you hear the casing is outperformed by W4 since everybody didn't even have theirs for a week?

Quote:

It almost looks like the Westone with the first look.

I have the Westone W4 and when you compare them closely, there are quite some differences. SM3 v2 is actually bigger than the W4, and the latter is also more streamline in the casing, making the W4 more comfortable to wear. 

For the manufacturing quality and the material of the plastic casing, W4 also outperforms SM3 v2.

Regarding sound quality, W4 which had been run in for about 80+ hours is more balanced in all frequencies, treble is extended, mids are smooth, bass is refined, controlled with great quantity. 
SM3 v2, which had been run in for around 8 hours, is still not stable, with treble a bit sharp, mids are fine, with enormous amount of bass, but not controlled and does cover the other frequencies.

Having said that, I do think SM3 v2 has a very good potential as it has good soundstage and clarity. I think it is only about time that SM3 v2 can keep up with the W4, when all the 3 balanced armatures are run in properly.
etysmile.gif

Another thing is that the plug of SM3 v2, although is L angled, the head is way too big. I had a problem to plug it directly into the iPhone 4 headphone out with her silicone case on, so I have to take off the case of my iPhone to use it on my iPhone. The same happens when I plug it directly into my iPod Nano with the USB cable beside it, you just cannot do it because of the big footprint of the plug. FYI, the plug is actually the same used in Etymotic ER-4 earphones.

But one thing SM3 v2 surely beats W4 though is the ability to change cable
bigsmile_face.gif

May 26, 2011 at 4:49 AM Post #209 of 1,167
Geruvah, were your customs done by Earsonics? Anyone else in the opinion that they preferred the look of the V1s? I think the V2s look very generic and boring, although the custom colour tips in Geruvah's pics make it look much better.

May 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #210 of 1,167
Are the cable connectors on the SM3v2 exactly the same as those used by Westone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back