Earsonics SM3, Sleek Audio SA6-R or Shure SE425 ??
Jan 30, 2011 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vizZir

Head-Fier
Everything is in the title. I'm looking for new iem to replace my current UE SF5. 

I have considered the following 3 intra:

- Shure SE425
- Earsonics SM3
- Sleek Audio SA6-R

I was quite interested by the Shure and Sleek Audio as they have removable wires. However due to mitigated opinions about the Shure I have integrated the SM3 at my list. 
Considering I'm mainly listening jazz,classical music and rock which one would you recommand me ? Do you have some comments about the sound restitution of each one ?

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 8
Unless there is a fairly substantial difference between the sa6 and sa6-R (i don't think there is). the sa6 isn't comparable to the sm3. The sm3 is technically far superior. Can I ask? What made you pick these choices? If you're open to stating a budget and what you want to improve on from your sf5 (you don't state which sf.5?) there are a lot of other very capable options.

I can't comment of the Shure.

Jan 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 8
Well at the beginning I wanted to get only earphones with removable wires as I had some problems with previous Shure SE110. So I maybe I have forgotten some earphones but I think SA6-R and SE425 are the most interesting in this price range. The earsonics SM3 don't have removable wires but as I think they are well priced. Do you have some other earphones I should consider ?

My budget is around 300€. My Superfi 5 are great and they did a great job but firstly the isolation is not that great. After, on the sound itself I'm looking for improvements concerning the soundstage I find tight. As I'm a classical listener the medium is quite important. I'm not a bass lover, I just want clear bass not something of too boomy.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 8
I wouldn't place so much importance on replaceable cables really. The se110 is not really representative of good cables in the iem market. Depending on what else you can get for (there's no euro key on my keyboard??) 300, the sm3 is a great buy, provided you're not especially rough on iem's you shouldn't have much of a problem. Sometimes a good customer service department is better than a replaceable cable. (By the way have you tried shure's customer service, their CS department is exceptional) Anyway, I haven't tried any of them but the sm3 are most often compared to "top-tier" universals, se535, Westone w3, um3x etc. those are the one's you should be able to get for about the same price.

I know this post is a bit rambling and convoluted, sorry about that.

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 8
No problem thanks for your help. Well I was considering also the UM3x but I have heard the UM3x and SM3 could be difficult to drive properly for a S9/J3. However I think that my new earphones UM3x/SM3 should be a big improvement against my current Superfi 5. Do you have more details about the sound signature of the UM3x and SM3 ? What's the big difference between those two earphones ?

Jan 31, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
No problem thanks for your help. Well I was considering also the UM3x but I have heard the UM3x and SM3 could be difficult to drive properly for a S9/J3. However I think that my new earphones UM3x/SM3 should be a big improvement against my current Superfi 5. Do you have more details about the sound signature of the UM3x and SM3 ? What's the big difference between those two earphones ?

SM3 is driven perfectly fine by my Cowon S9. An amp does not make a drastic difference for me.

From what I've read, the UM3X has a more of an analytical flavor with a shorter soundstage, somewhat mid-centric, and is said to sound more "technical" than "musical". The SM3 has a larger soundstage than the UM3X, warmer mids, and is technically on par with the UM3X with a more "musical" signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back