Earsonics SM3 - Quick Review
May 6, 2011 at 9:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bigbuddha

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All

Here is my very quick review of the Earsonics SM3 (V1).  I received them last night.

Absolutely Outstanding, WOW, Unbelievable .. I am still trying to get my jaw off the floor at how good these are.

Will expand on this review once I listen to them more, because naturally, I'd rather listen to them right now than write about them.

Cheers to soundearphones.com for great service and delivery.

Only worry now is .. should i upgrade to the SM3 (V2) ... I am even thinking of buying them outright just to have another pair just in case.  Yes I love them that much.

May 6, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 10
I think only upgrade to the v2 if you really want the extra ergonomic features it offers. There was an email communication with Franck from Earsonics posted which showed that sonically they're exactly the same. 

Glad you're enjoying them that much right away. Look forward to expanded comments.

May 7, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 10
Although I just sold my SM3 because I purchased JH-16's, I can attest to the fact that the SM3 is truly an amazing IEM. It has the sound of a custom in a universal, albeit not near but definitely a good taste of what a good custom sounds like. It does not sound like the dozens of universals that I've tried before.

The sound signature is also very inviting and musical, with an "emotional" sense to it. The soundstage is supreme for a universal.

Overall, the SM3 rules.

P.S. I would stick with the SM3 V1 if they fit you fine. They should not sound any different from the SM3 V2.

May 7, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #5 of 10
Solid Victory - I already grabbed the SM3 V2 so i can use the SM3 V1 as a back up just in case.

Sotiris - I am sure you will be amazed with the sound.  Mine are sounding sweeter and sweeter the longer I listen to them.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Solid Victory - I already grabbed the SM3 V2 so i can use the SM3 V1 as a back up just in case.

Sotiris - I am sure you will be amazed with the sound.  Mine are sounding sweeter and sweeter the longer I listen to them.

Did you remove filters?

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 10
I wouldn't remove the filters if I were you. Trust me, been there, and they begin to sound "harsh", which is really as best as I'd describe it. If you are content with the sound of the SM3, leave them be. As they say, if it ain't broken...
smile.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm not agree with you @i2ehan..
I can't listen SM3's with filters..

When it filtered I feel the sound seems like recessed and repressed but after remove them sound becames very open, detailed and musical without sibilance..
This is my opinion of course but my advice to every SM3 owner should try to remove them at least on time.. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #9 of 10
Removing the filter was something that occurred to one head-fier after it was becoming more and more apparent that the SM3 has some kind of (thick) veil or muffled type of sound. Some found the removal of the filter solved the problem. Others found it made the SM3's treble harsh. There was a head-fier (dweaver?) who made his own type of 'filter mod', apparently achieving something halfway between a filter and filterless SM3. I think he used some sort of low-density foam instead of the filter that comes with the SM3.

**Whoever attempts any of this should be pretty careful & patient.

Jun 18, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I'm not agree with you @i2ehan..
I can't listen SM3's with filters..

When it filtered I feel the sound seems like recessed and repressed but after remove them sound becames very open, detailed and musical without sibilance..
This is my opinion of course but my advice to every SM3 owner should try to remove them at least on time.. 

I respect your opinion my friend. If anyone here does intend to remove the filters, remove them very carefully, in such a way that the very fragile paper filter material within is left intact, without punctures/perforations. Again, in my opinion, if you're happy with the sound, leave it as is. On the other hand, if you're curious enough, as our friend fortress34 suggested, you may find the sound to your liking, in which case I advise all that are curious to remove them carefully, so as to make sure the change is reversible.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back