Earsonics SM3 , Monster Miles Davis Tribute or Victor FX700?
Jul 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

samuel219

Head-Fier
I want to choose my new IEM among them , because they were IEMs , I think it
should be portable , so I don't want to carry any (portable)amplifier with them.
I just want to listen to music in an easy way.

I want some advice from those who has expericed those IEMs , and tell me which of
them performs better with a general music player (iPod touch,classic,iPhone,Cowon J3,Zune HD...etc) and without any amplifier,just direct connect to the music player.
Which can carry out the most potential when direct connected to those music player?

Thanks a lot
L3000.gif

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 9
I use the SM3s ampless through a Cowon J3. They are perfect for my requirements.

Jul 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #3 of 9
The MD's and FX700's take to amping a bit better in my experience, while the SM3's for one reason or another seem better straight out of my Sony X's headphone out, and don't need any amping.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 9
SM3 seems to be the king of low output DAPs.  The MD's want power.  Not sure about the FX700 but some have said they really do well with more power.

You have to realize all 3 have very different sound signatures which should be a larger concern IMO.  If you have no other point of reference they should all sound good though.

The FX700 is open if that matters.

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Amping sm3 won't make much of a difference, it will fix the HO problem by using the LO. Amping FX-700, the first time I heard them I was pleasantly surprised, most significant change being the bass extension. Certain portable players like the nano 5th gen I have definitely lacks the power to bring out the full potential of the FX. The isolation on FX is bad compared to the SM3, and the MD is between them. 

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 9
I have the SM3's with the X1060 and s:flo2 and did try them with the ALO Rx, but I didn't really see any benefit from the amp, so sold it on, as they're superb straight out of the HO.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 9
The Rx isn't a great pairing with the SM3 IMO.  The Arrow is better, but the benefit of an amp is minimal.  In my case it allows me to utilize the better output of my DIY modded 5.5g, which has a slightly better LO than the S:flo2.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 9
And that's where the amp difference is pertinent. Same with me and the DBAs. They sound excellent via HP out, don't NEED an amp. But with a good LOD and the Touch, using my humble T3, they sound that much better than straight from HP out. Just a better source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back