• 03 - Vue canule.png
    03 - Vue canule.png
    26 KB · Views: 0
  • 04 - Vue zoom.png
    04 - Vue zoom.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 0
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #62 of 141
Mar 2, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #63 of 141
I just published my review of the ONYX here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earsonics-onyx.25694/review/28072/

11709784.jpg

Many thanks to @ThioB3 and EarSonics for providing this precious opportunity to try their latest gem/creation. Such a beautiful design, and lovely-sounding monitor indeed

Hello, my good old 'Spartan' friend... :wink:
Spartan.gif

I've just read your review, but when I looked at the pictures (also the one above) I wondered what cable that was? As it surely doesn't look like the stock UnHR 4C cable (which has no memory wire) to me :thinking:

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #64 of 141
Hello, my good old 'Spartan' friend... :wink:

I've just read your review, but when I looked at the pictures (also the one above) I wondered what cable that was? As it surely doesn't look like the stock UnHR 4C cable (which has no memory wire) to me :thinking:

Cheers!
Hey-o! :) It's the ol' Plastics One cable from back in the Spartan days. I just like its looks and comfort more

taken-1624676873735-edit-7208186210357.jpg

taken-1624676973627-edit-7224695496813.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #65 of 141
Hello,

Here’s my brief review of the Earsonics Onyx. English is not my native language so I apologise in advance for the mistakes.

For this review, I only plug them into a Earstudio Es100 Mk2, being my total « on the go » setup. I will mainly compare them to the Earsonics Em10, a 2000 USD ciem.

I have the Onyx since almost one week and having heard that they need a long period burn in, I waited before giving my opinion.

Design and fit:

Incredibly well done, in metal, very solid impression. The fit is great, the tips don’t go really deep in the ear giving a lot of comfort. Despite that, the isolation is very good.

The overall presentation is balanced, vivid, lively and holographic.

Sub-bass:

They are here… very deep, controlled, tight and very detailled. To compare with the Em10 that are quite capable in sub-bass, I found the amount not only major but more natural. The feeling that you ear to speakers is amazing for an In-ear.

Bass:

Very detailled, layered with lot of impact and definition. On par with the Em10 almost to my ears.

Medium:

One of the strength of Earsonic’s house… Really full, perhaps a little bit less than the Em10 but very well textured, natural, lively… The transition between medium-high is really soft, fatigue free, no sibillance at all, being myself very sensitive in regards of this frequ. area. Strings and female voice are beautifull.

Treble

There’s more energy, details and sparkle in the Onyx VS the Em10. The Em10 are darker… I always found a lack of sparkle in the Em10 and a lack of deffinition in this frequ. area (I am 46, perhaps my ears are a little bit old…). In addition to the sub bass, the combination gives a more airy presentation in comparison with the Em10.

Soundstage/image:

As I mentionned before, there’s an incredible sense of space with the Onyx, a more 3D imaging, more « out of head » presentation with a large soundstage (i will compare it to the Em10) but with a more layered and deep space than the Em10. The instrument separation is incrediblly realistic and precise. The Em10 has a more 2D presentation where all the layers are more close to one plan. Here, with the Onyx, the layers seems to have more distance giving a real 3D sense of space but at the same time, remains coherent and precise. Even on difficult tracks with a lot of instruments, the Onyx is capable to stay clean and controlled.

Conclusion:

There’s no doubt that for me, these Onyx can easily compete with the Em10. For my tastes, I prefer it over my Em10 because of this feeling of space and details, especially in the sub and the treble frequencies. At this price point, I think that they should deserve a lot of interrest.

Thank you Earsonics.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #66 of 141
Hello,

Here’s my brief review of the Earsonics Onyx. English is not my native language so I apologise in advance for the mistakes.

For this review, I only plug them into a Earstudio Es100 Mk2, being my total « on the go » setup. I will mainly compare them to the Earsonics Em10, a 2000 USD ciem.

I have the Onyx since almost one week and having heard that they need a long period burn in, I waited before giving my opinion.

The overall presentation is balanced, vivid, lively and holographic.

Sub-bass:

They are here… very deep, controlled, tight and very detailled. To compare with the Em10 that are quite capable in sub-bass, I found the amount not only major but more natural. The feeling that you ear to speakers is amazing for an In-ear.

Bass:

Very detailled, layered with lot of impact and definition. On par with the Em10 almost to my ears.

Medium:

One of the strength of Earsonic’s house… Really full, perhaps a little bit less than the Em10 but very well textured, natural, lively… The transition between medium-high is really soft, fatigue free, no sibillance at all, being myself very sensitive in regards of this frequ. area. Strings and female voice are beautifull.

Treble

There’s more energy, details and sparkle in the Onyx VS the Em10. The Em10 are darker… I always found a lack of sparkle in the Em10 and a lack of deffinition in this frequ. area (I am 46, perhaps my ears are a little bit old…). In addition to the sub bass, the combination gives a more airy presentation in comparison with the Em10.

Soundstage/image:

As I mentionned before, there’s an incredible sense of space with the Onyx, a more 3D imaging, more « out of head » presentation with a large soundstage (i will compare it to the Em10) but with a more layered and deep space than the Em10. The instrument separation is incrediblly realistic and precise. The Em10 has a more 2D presentation where all the layers are more close to one plan. Here, with the Onyx, the layers seems to have more distance giving a real 3D sense of space but at the same time, remains coherent and precise. Even on difficult tracks with a lot of instruments, the Onyx is capable to stay clean and controlled.

Conclusion:

There’s no doubt that for me, these Onyx can easily compete with the Em10. For my tastes, I prefer it over my Em10 because of this feeling of space and details, especially in the sub and the treble frequencies. At this price point, I think that they should deserve a lot of interrest.

Thank you Earsonics.
Excellent review, concise and to the point!

Mar 3, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #67 of 141
Mar 8, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #69 of 141
Yes I agree, great review without all the fluff. This review should be added to the Onyx review page. Amazing that this IEM can compete and better the companies own much more expensive piece.

Basically it’s both a soundstage and a certain tune. I haven’t heard the company’s other IEMs, but I read all the Head-Fi reviews, and they don’t necessarily have this type of tune.

The magic for me took place the way the musical information was imaged, that and stuff had a tone I’ve never heard before, ever? So I could relate with what was happening...........it is correct playback and exotic at the same time?

It’s of value to you if it plays your sound signature. Hence if you look at the reviews as a whole, the whole list of opinions, then you can see it fits a lot of people’s sound signature. It’s just a big and authoritative sound! It’s like an XBA-Z5 on steroids. But it also has balance even though certain aspects have a slightly darker tilt. Meaning it has a refined tune, still slightly darker than some IEMs. I feel it’s actually worth 2X the price. It’s sold only factory direct so, that is how they do that. But it’s also a little bit of a journey.........where burn-in, it seems is mandatory? I guess, I mean I really still don’t know, as burn-in and mental adaptation went on at the same time. But my perception of the ONYX changed. It went from at 20 hours nice....to 40 hours super-nice......to 60 hours, incredible-unbelievable. So?

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #70 of 141
Deleted.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #71 of 141
Mar 11, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #72 of 141
Just posted my review of the Onyx as well. I'm so thankful to have heard these and cannot believe the value and sound quality they bring. I've been a long-time Earsonics user and this is my favorite release yet.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/earsonics-onyx.25694/review/28124/

-Collin-

Very well (with a humorous touch) written and with some interesting comparisons + nice pictures on top of that. Totally loved it Collin!!!

Btw, my guess would be 'at 25' :wink:
Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #73 of 141
Excellent review SeeSax, thank you a lot.

Mar 12, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #75 of 141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back