Earphones too loud with Amp(s)
Jun 1, 2017 at 3:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jhsial

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Finally joined awesome group today after reading the threads for a long time. Well, for about three months.

I love playing with electronics and recently I put together raspberry pi running volumio2 and schiit fulla2. I have Audio Technica CKR9 connected with it. Now if the volume is mute at 6'o clock, I find it quite loud at 7'o clock already. Same problem with other amp/dac dragon fly black 1.5. First bar is already loud enough.
The CKR9 is 49ohm. I tried with my monster beats urbeats (the first version), same problem. However without amp, using MacBook pro, its fine upto 50% of volume with beats and upto 80% with CKRs.
It is not a critical problem but still i am curious, am i over sensitive or doni have a problem?

Another thing I want to mention (which might get me kicked out of the forum the first day I registered) I find the sound of my beats a lot better than CKR9 after I removed the filter type layer under the metal mesh of my headphones.

If you are replying, please suggest some music similar to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Dark side of moon. I love these.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 5
Not sure what you mean by one bar? Are you turning the amp to full volume and then controlling by software?

Jun 1, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 5
I love playing with electronics and recently I put together raspberry pi running volumio2 and schiit fulla2. I have Audio Technica CKR9 connected with it. Now if the volume is mute at 6'o clock, I find it quite loud at 7'o clock already. Same problem with other amp/dac dragon fly black 1.5. First bar is already loud enough.
The CKR9 is 49ohm. I tried with my monster beats urbeats (the first version), same problem. However without amp, using MacBook pro, its fine upto 50% of volume with beats and upto 80% with CKRs.
It is not a critical problem but still i am curious, am i over sensitive or doni have a problem?

IEMs have very high sensitivity - the only time they really benefit from an amp is if whatever else you have just plain sucks. Most common problem? High output impedance. Some smartphones pile on noise and distortion too quickly and have bad channel separation.

If you are replying, please suggest some music similar to Pink Floyd's The Wall, Dark side of moon. I love these.

A little bit faster prog rock - check out Fuseboxx on Spotify and YouTube. A lot closer to Dream Theater though.

Jun 3, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Theres nothing wrong with your setup. From what I read here on head-fi, it seems your not alone with this "problem" of too much gain with the Fulla 2. Schiit should have added a gain switch. Plus, as others have mentioned, iems are not too power hungry. The few that I have are all easily driven to full blast by my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back