Earphones to laptops
May 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

earin-obsessed

New Head-Fier
Can we plug in any earphone with any max power input (say 50mW) to a laptop......?
is max power input a criteria?
I have JBL TEMPO with 10mW of max input power.....can I Plug it to my Laptop.....Pls help me out...
font]

May 28, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
Can we plug in any earphone with any max power input (say 50mW) to a laptop......?
is max power input a criteria?
I have JBL TEMPO with 10mW of max input power.....can I Plug it to my Laptop.....Pls help me out...
font]

Of course you can. Just because a laptop can produce, say, 30mW max doesn't mean it can't produce less than that. However, the problem with using the OS volume control is it compresses the bitrate. When convenience is necessary, it's absolutely no problem, but of course if you can slip into one of the pockets of the laptop's bag a slim, battery-powered DAC-HPamp that can work with only data going through the USB (like the Ibasso D-Zero) and it works off its own battery to save the laptop's when you're not plugged in, go right ahead. However, I'd say on go through with purchasing that if the laptop sound really sucks for whatever ear/headphone you're using (ie, compare how it does with other amps first, unless it's not even getting up to your listening volume or is heavily distorted at that point).

May 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Max input doesn't really matter. Usually, before you come close to that rated input power your ears will hurt a lot. If the specs are right then 10 mW will result in about 106 dB SPL. You really shouldn't listen above 85 dB SPL so I see no problem.

The only way to damage your hear/earphones would be by not putting them on your head and turning up the volume all the way. That way you can destroy pretty much any headphone given a strong enough (integrated) amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back