triplerandy

New Head-Fier
Hello

Looking for some recommendations. 

Currently using:
-BrainWavz Hm5 + FiiO E11
-Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301

And previously if used Brainwavz M4, M5 and soundmagic PL 50

Been wanting to step up my audio listening game for a while so been poking and reading and listening to reviews.

Kinda torn between these choices:

- Theres a sale for Sennheiser HD 800 for 1359 SGD which is around 1020 USD with free shipping, so I'm tempted to get it.
-Sennheiser HD 650 ( kinda sad that it doesnt really ship to singapore from amazon, cheapest i can get here is around 68x SGD)
-AKG 553 Pro because of the mass drop offer.

Also thinking of getting the ODAC combo from Mayflower/ JDS labs.

What should I go for?
-Get the HD 800?
-Wait for a discount for 650?
-Get the AKG 553 Pro?

How about the DAC combo? Should i get those?

Will generally listen to j-rock/pop. And will be using for gaming with my upcoming computer. (not planning to get a sound card since people say external DAC is the way to go)

*Please note that I'm currently residing in Singapore so prices of earphones/ certain earphones are not allowed to ship from amazon.

May 2, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 14
It's difficult to argue against the HD 800 coupled with an amp that complements it well.  This is especially true if you can get the HD 800 at a favorable price.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD800

May 3, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply. I'm now leaning towards getting a HD 600 or 650
The price is 130 dollars difference and there seems to be a mixed reviews between both of them.
Should I get the HD600 for better value?

May 3, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 14
  Thanks for the reply. I'm now leaning towards getting a HD 600 or 650
The price is 130 dollars difference and there seems to be a mixed reviews between both of them.
Should I get the HD600 for better value?

I  prefer the HD 600 straight up, regardless of a price spread in its favor.  You decide--it's

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD600

vs.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HD650

May 3, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #5 of 14
Did anyone realized that most earphones have serious L/R cross talk issues?
A simple test is to play audio on either one of the channels (mute the other), but remove that channel from your ear at a distance (cover it with a pillow). You'd hear a tiny bit of sound on the other channel that was supposed to be muted.

The only earphones that doesn't have this issue is the Sennheiser dual independent wiring.

Wondering if this cross talk issue bothers anyone?

May 3, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #6 of 14
Adorama.com has the HD 600s for $249 plus a $25 rebate right now. I just bought a pair for $224.

http://www.adorama.com/als.MVC/nspc/revisedProduct?sku=SEHD600&emailprice=t&utm_term=yzhTVsX7XRvORkhRgFWbgXmCUkVQVhTdcV3b300&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905,affiliate.cj.6146846

I picked the HD 600's over the HD 650's because I wanted the most neutral headphones of the series. HD 600's are famous for being balanced, and someday when I have an expensive audiophole headset like the Beyerdynamic T1, the HD 600's will be my neutral reference on standby.

May 3, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 14
  Adorama.com has the HD 600s for $249 plus a $25 rebate right now. I just bought a pair for $224.

http://www.adorama.com/als.MVC/nspc/revisedProduct?sku=SEHD600&emailprice=t&utm_term=yzhTVsX7XRvORkhRgFWbgXmCUkVQVhTdcV3b300&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=rflaid62905&cvosrc=affiliate.62905,affiliate.cj.6146846

I picked the HD 600's over the HD 650's because I wanted the most neutral headphones of the series. HD 600's are famous for being balanced, and someday when I have an expensive audiophole headset like the Beyerdynamic T1, the HD 600's will be my neutral reference on standby.

Thanks a lot for the link! Shipping to singapore costs me 56 usd T.T. I don't think mail in rebate works overseas, so it costs 305.20. =X Amazon for me is cheaper.
Thanks for the heads up though.

May 3, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks for the link Royal Amerthyst.
It's too bad that the shipping to Singapore costs me 56+ USD (ouch) and mail in rebates don't really work overseas (correct me if i'm wrong). So amazon is cheaper for me in this case.

Thanks for the heads up though.

Would probably head to a sennhsier retailer and audition for both headphones to see which i prefer.

How about Amps/Dacs? Currently using a Fiio E11, thinking to wait for end may cuz mayflower said they might massdrop and end may (according to what i read on mass drop). Either that or are there better options for around the same price range?

May 3, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Yikes, I'm sorry. I didn't read about Singapore, my bad. You're right,t he rebate probably wouldn't work.But $250+$56 shipping for HD 600's, when you consider Singapore, is still a decent price in my opinion. Mine have not arrived yet, but I hear the HD 600's are very bright and balanced and a lot of people prefer it to its HD 650 younger brother.

For DAC/amp, everyone says the Modi 2 and Magni 2 Schiit stack are unbeatable for the price, but again, that's a US product. Other people have been saying Audio-gd NFB-15.32 is great considering they can be custom, hand-made to your specifications, and I'm pretty sure that ships from Hong Kong. Probably a lot easier for you to obtain.

May 3, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 14
I'm swinging towards the 650 side because of better default cabling and ive been reading they sound very similar. Probably want to try nfb 11 instead of nfb 15. Would probably auditon first before getting either

Edit: The more i read, the more I can't decide what to get. I'm now looking at nfb 11/15 and grand Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-11

May 3, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #12 of 14
The more i read, the more I can't decide what to get.

Welcome to the show. :p It doesn't ever get better. Eventually you just have to funnel all you've learned into one semi-impulsive mouse click.

You really won't go wrong with the HD 600 or HD 650. They're both considered some of the best headphones for the price. And yeah, give the nfb-11 a look too. I think both of them are good audio-dg equipment.

May 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 14
Went to audition hd 800 650 and 600. prefered the 6x0s. Couldnt tell any diff between 650 and 600 D= probably leaning to 600

Went with HD650 and Grant Fidelity TubeDac 11. So far only see small differences. Shall listen them for a while before stating my final judgement.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 14
  Did anyone realized that most earphones have serious L/R cross talk issues?
A simple test is to play audio on either one of the channels (mute the other), but remove that channel from your ear at a distance (cover it with a pillow). You'd hear a tiny bit of sound on the other channel that was supposed to be muted.

The only earphones that doesn't have this issue is the Sennheiser dual independent wiring.

Wondering if this cross talk issue bothers anyone?

@lister  my favorite IEMs exhibit this behavior, Vsonic GR07 Classic.  I wish there was a way to eliminate the cross talk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back