- Not ear plug based. Because I want to hear the surroundings

- Under 90$

Any recommendations ?

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 10
I am looking for any decent sounding earphones. The only requirements are:

- Not ear plug based. Because I want to hear the surroundings

- Under 90$

Any recommendations ?

Are you by any chance asking about earbuds?

11230395.jpg

IEMS (in ear monitors) (picture on the right) sit within the ear canal and hence give a better seal and isolation in general. They tend to give a narrower soundstage as they are sited inside the ear. Though there are some vented or open backed IEMs that don't give as good isolation, but in general they are still better in isolation than earbuds. And cause of the good seal, they allow music to be heard at lower volumes, preserve microdetails and also preserve the bass frequencies, which is the first to be lost in noisy environments.

Earbuds are the picture on the left where the transducer doesn't really enter the ear canal and give a good seal. Earbuds have their strengths though, such as better soundstage. Most of em have poor subbass quantity/extension due to the lack of seal, though they tend to give quite good timbre in general.

If u are referring to earbuds, u can ask more in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/
Though in general, I won't use earbuds outside as they tend to have poor isolation (as above), so this might make one pump up the volume to hear the music better, which may be unsafe for hearing.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 10
Oh yes I meant earbuds :D. Just didn't know the term. Thank you very much I'll chose something from the thread :).

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 10
Oh yes I meant earbuds :D. Just didn't know the term. Thank you very much I'll chose something from the thread :).

If it is earbuds, $20 can get u very good sound quality nowadays.

What music genres do u listen to and any preferred sound signatures (eg basshead, treblehead, neutralish, V shaped, midcentric etc)?

Jul 27, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 10
Oh that's sounds pretty ideal, of course the cheaper the better haha. I guess that some kind of good old midway of neutral/v-shape signature should do fine. The genre preference is: modern/alternative rock, punk rock, pop rock, pop. The earbuds are gonna be used at home as well as outside.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #6 of 10
Oh that's sounds pretty ideal, of course the cheaper the better haha. I guess that some kind of good old midway of neutral/v-shape signature should do fine. The genre preference is: modern/alternative rock, punk rock, pop rock, pop. The earbuds are gonna be used at home as well as outside.

U can consider the SMABAT ST10. There's a newer version called the SMABAT ST10S, but the older one is cheaper and not too bad.

Or u can consider and read up about cheap sets like the Vidos, RY4S, BK2, NiceHCK B40, NiceHCK ME80.

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 10
ST10 seems very good. Aren't the others you listed below all inferior to them as they are 5x-10x cheaper ??

Jul 31, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #8 of 10
ST10 seems very good. Aren't the others you listed below all inferior to them as they are 5x-10x cheaper ??

Yes ST10 is better than the others I listed. But as per this hobby, u get diminishing returns the higher you go up. So if u are just starting out in this rabbithole, might be an option to start at something cheaper and upgrade only once u know what sound signature you like.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 10
I did it the other way round. I ordered the Smabat first and if there's something I can't stand about them I'll try 2 of the cheapers ones that you recommended ;D. Thank you!

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #10 of 10
I did it the other way round. I ordered the Smabat first and if there's something I can't stand about them I'll try 2 of the cheapers ones that you recommended ;D. Thank you!

Smabat is my favourite ear bud currently. Hope u enjoy them as much as I have.

The thing is, once u have heard the good stuff, the ears can't unhear them, and the only way is to go further down the rabbithole. Though I would advise to avoid buying downgrades and sidegrades as such, I haven't had the urge to buy anything more expensive than the Smabat since I bought them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back