Earphones for sleeping with VERY loud snorer?
May 22, 2020 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JPCoetzee

New Head-Fier
Hello all, I'm new here!

My wife snores VERY VERY LOUDLY. I can hear her through the 3M 39dB earplugs. So every night I wear triple-flange earbuds deep in my ear canal and play bass-heavy brown noise (see below).

I sleep on my side and at the moment I'm using Etymotic ER6i which are perfect because they are very isolating, very small and don't poke out far. But ER6is are not that well made, won't last forever and are out of production.

Sound quality doesn't matter at all so long as there is some bass. Extreme isolation is most important and they must be compact so I can lie on my side.

What can you recommend? Please don't reply simply to advise against using earbuds all night. Without them we would have split up long ago!

Many thanks

May 22, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 8
No snark, and obviously this is personal so apologies if it's over the line, but I would highly recommend your wife get evaluated for sleep apnea if she hasn't, snoring that loud is often indicative of it and it can be a pretty serious health issue

May 23, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 8
I have the exact same situation with my wife. I tried several things before buying the MAXROCK earbuds which are designed for sleeping - especially side-sleeping. My first pair lasted for a year. I'm now on second pair for longer than a year and they only cost $12 on Amazon. Sound quality is decent and they are very comfortable.

May 23, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 8
Hello all, I'm new here!

My wife snores VERY VERY LOUDLY. I can hear her through the 3M 39dB earplugs. So every night I wear triple-flange earbuds deep in my ear canal and play bass-heavy brown noise (see below).

I sleep on my side and at the moment I'm using Etymotic ER6i which are perfect because they are very isolating, very small and don't poke out far. But ER6is are not that well made, won't last forever and are out of production.

Sound quality doesn't matter at all so long as there is some bass. Extreme isolation is most important and they must be compact so I can lie on my side.

What can you recommend? Please don't reply simply to advise against using earbuds all night. Without them we would have split up long ago!

Many thanks

The best isolation I have found in a non custom IEM is in the etymotics line up ~ 40 dB isolation, but those are deep insertion and not comfortable and not for sleep use for sure.

Something with slightly less isolation (maybe 20 - 25 dB ish) but very comfortable and of small bean shaped profile would be Westones or Audiosense T180, T260, T300.

Yeah but it might be good to get a medical consult for the snoring issue if that hasn't been done? Maybe that can treat the root source rather than trying temporizing measures. I did try using IEMs to sleep to block out my noisy neighbours, but they do introduce ear abrasions/infections with long usages and I ever busted a cable at the cable insertion point due to spinning around in my sleep.

May 23, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 8

If you‘re already used to wearing Etymotics, maybe you should stick with them. The ER2XR has the most sub bass, with some rumble, due to it having a dynamic driver. The ER3XR has a balanced armature. The overall sound is warmer, with less treble, and it has more mid bass, and is punchier. I would think either would suit you well, but it depends on your preferences. Both are made of metal, and both have removable/replaceable cables. I can sleep on my side with either of those sets. When properly inserted, they don’t protrude from my ears.

I also agree with previous comments about your and your wife’s health.

May 26, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Wow that pillow is just what I need!!! I generally can’t wear earplugs in both sides as I can hear my heart beat / loads of rustling when I turn my head onto its left during the night :)
I can reccomend Boots silicone ear plugs - you can really squish them deep in the ear and they don’t move around / rustle
Did you try them to muffle the snoring - or its so loud you really need white noise to block it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back