Earpads for ATH-M50
Jul 7, 2012 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sycho

100+ Head-Fier
I'm loving my M50s right now, but one thing that really bothers me is that a part of my ear gets sore after wearing it for around 30 minutes or longer from touching the driver area (usually depending on how I position it). If I get velour pads or another pair of leather pads for Shure or Beyer headphones, would they be wide enough so that my ears would stop touching the drivers?

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 10
SRH940 velour pads are larger and thicker than the stock M50 ones. I'd recommend them over the DT250 pads. But although the replacement pads give increased comfort and room, they are probably still not going to completely prevent your ears from touching the driver lining.

The SRH940 pads do come with a softer driver lining material. So perhaps that will sit better against your ears. Another option is to use some cloth cut out from an old t-shirt as lining. Some have used that with their Grados to good effect.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 10
As far as I know, nobody has yet found a suitable replacement for the ATH-M50 pads because they all change the sound a little bit. For this reason it is indeed probably the best idea to make some lining for the earcups using your preferred material, fe. cotton or velour.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 10
You could stuff some cotton between the inside of the pads and the plastic grills. Cheap,easy to do, and easily reversible. If that doesn't work then buy some new pads. DT250 pads are more comfortable but they are actually smaller in diameter than the stock ones but also more "plump". And they also kill the isolation/leakage of the M50.

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 10
I had the same problem as you with the stock M50 earpads. I fixed this by simply put Shure SRH840 earpads on the M50. The Shure earpads are 100% compatible with the M50. They are much more comfortable since they are made of a softer material, and they are bigger for the ear. The sound is changed a very little bit but I think it's even better : the stock M50 are rather dark sounding, and with Shure SRH840 earpads, they open up, leading to a more vivid, balanced sound.

Jul 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #6 of 10
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I have been looking into the SRH940 and the SRH840 pads. The velour pads for the SRH940s seems to feel better, but the SRH840s seem to change the sound less due to similar materials. Would the velour pads do too much to the sound, or will it only be a small change not to significant?

Has anyone had experience with this?  I am also in the market for a set of velour pads as my ears literally get red from using the stock pads.   They are a couple years old and the pads are super thin and really cracked up.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Quote:

Has anyone had experience with this?  I am also in the market for a set of velour pads as my ears literally get red from using the stock pads.   They are a couple years old and the pads are super thin and really cracked up.

Same here.  Can OP or anyone else give more details/testimony ?
I found exact replacements but would definitely use the opportunity to get something better.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 10
For anyone interested, there's a good thread going about same topic:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/414574/velour-felt-pads-for-ath-m50

Users who are viewing this thread

Back