EarMen Sparrow
Oct 30, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #32 of 354
A litte sad honestly. I really hoped they had some sort of app like iBasso. Bypass Android OS-wide even without Hiby/Neutron.

How is sound quality wihout Hiby/Neutron? - if you don't mind having a check?
The sound quality is dope, especially the balanced out. The only issue I had was EMI (electromagnetic interference) when it was anywhere near my iPhone. Turning data off/flight mode On fixes it but I can't imagine many people wanting to do that.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #33 of 354
A litte sad honestly. I really hoped they had some sort of app like iBasso. Bypass Android OS-wide even without Hiby/Neutron.

How is sound quality wihout Hiby/Neutron? - if you don't mind having a check?

Sounds awesome with Tidal and amazon HD music. Out of balanced out it sounds like one of the best sources I've heard.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #36 of 354
What cable is recommended for connecting the Sparrow to iPhones? Do you have to use the Apple Camera Kit (regular or USB3 one)? Or is it possible to connect just using a lightning to USB C cable, and if so, which one? Lotoo has a cable for their Paw S1.
I wonder if it would work with the Sparrow or whether Earmen has an equivalent product.

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #37 of 354
What cable is recommended for connecting the Sparrow to iPhones? Do you have to use the Apple Camera Kit (regular or USB3 one)? Or is it possible to connect just using a lightning to USB C cable, and if so, which one? Lotoo has a cable for their Paw S1.
I wonder if it would work with the Sparrow or whether Earmen has an equivalent product.

Camera connection kit works, pretty sure the Lotoo does on its own as well.

However! I know for a fact that this Lightning to USB-C works:

€ 12,26 | Lightning Naar Type-C Otg Kabel Voor Shanling M2X M5s Up4 M0, Xd-05 Plus, NX4 Ds, fiio BTR5 3 Iphone 11 Xs Max, Xr, Xs 8Plus, Ipad Pro
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BSDGES

Nov 1, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #38 of 354
Camera connection kit works, pretty sure the Lotoo does on its own as well.

However! I know for a fact that this Lightning to USB-C works:

€ 12,26 | Lightning Naar Type-C Otg Kabel Voor Shanling M2X M5s Up4 M0, Xd-05 Plus, NX4 Ds, fiio BTR5 3 Iphone 11 Xs Max, Xr, Xs 8Plus, Ipad Pro
https://a.aliexpress.com/_BSDGES
Awesome, thank you!

Nov 1, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #39 of 354
Ultimate mini hi fi setup 😍

20201101_113126.jpg

Nov 1, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #40 of 354
Is there no way to see the bit rate with the Sparrow? The lights only indicate MQA/non-MQA/error as far as I can see. That seems a bit of a shame. I don’t suppose there is an app that could provide that info (on iOS)?

Nov 1, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #42 of 354
You can look at the app your using to play the music. But if you want that info on the dongle you'd need the btr5 or looto paw S1.

Both are bigger and have screens, both don't sound as good as the Sparrow. S1 is pretty good, it's softer and warmer and has some nice dsp effects. But the balanced on the Sparrow is just something else. Actually the SE out is very good too.

The Fiio is a really good value though and supports BT. I guess it depends on what you want.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #43 of 354
You can look at the app your using to play the music. But if you want that info on the dongle you'd need the btr5 or looto paw S1.

Both are bigger and have screens, both don't sound as good as the Sparrow. S1 is pretty good, it's softer and warmer and has some nice dsp effects. But the balanced on the Sparrow is just something else. Actually the SE out is very good too.

The Fiio is a really good value though and supports BT. I guess it depends on what you want.
Thanks, that’s a great summary. I’ve ruled out the Fiio due to its size/weight. The Lotoo doesn’t have MQA (yet, not sure if it can be added later) and like the Sparrow there are reports of EMI with iPhones. There is also the Qudelix 5K, which has a nice app, but also no MQA. I guess we are spoiled for choice, which is a good thing!

I guess with regards to the Sparrow, I don’t quite understand why they don’t use the light system to indicate the bit rate, like it’s done on the Dragonflies.

Nov 1, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #44 of 354
Thanks, that’s a great summary. I’ve ruled out the Fiio due to its size/weight. The Lotoo doesn’t have MQA (yet, not sure if it can be added later) and like the Sparrow there are reports of EMI with iPhones. There is also the Qudelix 5K, which has a nice app, but also no MQA. I guess we are spoiled for choice, which is a good thing!

I guess with regards to the Sparrow, I don’t quite understand why they don’t use the light system to indicate the bit rate, like it’s done on the Dragonflies.

Yes it's kind of weird with the led using only 3 colours but with this sound I'm willing to let it pass :) I did think mqa was coming to lotoo S1 in a firmware update.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #45 of 354

Most know the particulars of the music they're playing so probably felt it unnecessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back