EarMax
Jul 25, 2002 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 52
http://www.theme-gifts.com/earprovactub.html

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/stoneaud...sp?product=217

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 52
aaah...there they are, thanks. I noticed that the Earmax Pro is now only 70$ more than the regular earmax?! It also says it is for low impedence headphones....odd...probabally a mistake or something.

Jul 26, 2002 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 52
hmm....they seem to have signifigantly lowerd the price for the EMP....maybe I won't be getting a cosmic....

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:20 AM Post #7 of 52
Wow, I may have to put that one on my list. But then again, its so small it makes you wonder what's inside that makes it cost so much.

Quote:

The case is made from a specially developed high insulation very unmicrophonic material

Plastic.
eek.gif
(har)

Jul 26, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 52
Tim,
the Audiophile Club has always had very reasonable prices for the Earmax but they offer the European version: Power supply Unit: 235V AC input.

By the way, the German price of the Earmax Pro (only the Pro version is recommended for driving low-impedance headphones as well) is 500 Dollars/Euros.

Jul 26, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Wow, I may have to put that one on my list. But then again, its so small it makes you wonder what's inside that makes it cost so much.

It's not what's inside...it's what comes out that's so marvelous and worth paying for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by Kubernetes

It's not what's inside...it's what comes out that's so marvelous and worth paying for.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're right. I like the sound of the EMP, but still, its size does make me wonder.

Tomcat,
Is there a reliable place in Germany that we can order the EMP for $500?

Jul 26, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #12 of 52
Since power supply is separate, the input voltage limitation resides entirely inside the PS. It should be possible to use some other (most probably DIY) 110V-compatible PS with it. I wonder, would any dealer (or maybe manufacturer himself?) agree to sell the amp without the power supply? Could be worth investigating...

Of course, DIYing a PS that produces all the voltages required for a tube amp is not for the faint of heart
wink.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 10:10 PM Post #13 of 52
The earmax only need a 19 VAC PS.
I would think that a simple voltage converter (like those found in RS) would work fine in this application.
If I'm not mistaken, Joelongwood took this same approach.

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 52
It's funny I was sending an email to Stone about an Earmax and Idid a spell check. It suggested "earwax" for Earmax.

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #15 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
i thought the earmax pro IS for both high and low impedence phones? it works nicely with my grado-325.

I would definitely go for the EarMax Pro model. Most everyone here that origionally purchased the EarMax eventually traded up to the Pro model.

BTW, I agree taoster...my EMP kicks major butt with the 325's!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back